Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Wow....ALL CAPS RAGE! Calm down buddy!

#42 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

AFTER READING THE PREVIOUS FEW POST AND REPLYS BACK TO MY POST 3 THINGS CAME TO MIND. 1 PARTICULAR MEMBER IN THE IS FORUM CANNOT TAKE ANYONE ELSES THOUGHTS ABOUT A PROJECT WITHOUT GETTING THEIR PANTIES ( SOORY LADIES) IN A WAD. JUST BECAUSE YOU TAKE A WIRING HARNESS OF ONE TRUCK AND PUT IT ON ANOTHER DOES NOT MAKE YOU A "DATSUN MECHANIC" THAT MEANS YOUR TO DAMN LAZY OR STUPID TO INCORPORATE YOUR OWN WIRE HARNESS INTO YOUR NEW TRUCK. THE PCM AND GLOW PLUG SYSTEM CAN BE HARD WIRED IN ALSO IVE DONE IT BEFORE NOT HARD. LIKE WAS POSTED HERE PREVIOUSLY, ITS COLOR CODED! GET A SCHEMATIC. 2 YOUR JUST A DUMBASS AND DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT NISSAN DIESELS OR FOR THAT FACT ANY DIESELS. MAXIMAS CAME OUT WITH A LD28 DIESEL. SCOUTS CAME OUT WITH A SD33 INDUSTRIAL DIESEL. THE SD33 WAS OFFERED A TURBO THE LD28 WAS NOT IN THE USA. THE PUMPS ARE DIFFERENT YOU IDIOT.. THE LD28 HAS A PCM THE SD33 DOES NOT. NO JEEP, SCOUT, FORKLIFT,STATIONARY MOTOR OR SAILBOAT CAME WITH A PCM. IT IS AN INDUSTRIAL ENGINE HENCE "SD" SEVERE DUTY. "LD" LIGHT DUTY. THEY HAD TO PUT SD22 IN NISSAN TRUCKS BECAUSE OF THE WAY WE DRIVE OVER HERE. I GUESS A "DATSUN MECHANIC" WOULD KNOW THIS. 3 YOUR JUST A FUNNY A FUNNY GUY. YOU CALL YOUR SELF "DATSUN MECHANIC". ALL BS ASIDE IM SURE YOUR A GOOD GUY AND A DESCENT MECHANIC. YOU HAVE TO BE TO KEEP THIS SCRAP IRON RUNNING. ALL I WAS SAYING IS YOU DONT HAVE TO START FROM A POINT, GO 4 MILES DOWN THE ROAD TAKE A RIGHT GO 50 FEET, TURN RIGHT AGAIN GO 400 FEET AND THEN TURN LEFT. JUST TAKE A RIGHT AND GO 50 FEET. DONT MAKE IT HARDER THAN IT HAS TO BE..

He is correct that I don't know shit about 6 cylinder diesels, they are so long and won't fit in anything I work on, so I don't pay much attention to them other than knowing that the LD28 crank I beleave, is desired by the Z guys.
I mainly know about the SD22/25 series diesel engines, and that is what we are/were talking about here.
I don't call myself anything but "wayno", the label "datsun mechanic" was given to me by one of the mods on this forum.

#43 we1973

we1973

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cars:nissan 720 diesel, f350, 2500 cummins, 1974 f150, 1950 international, 94 gmc z71

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

You are correct Wayno, the z guys like the crank. All a LD28 is was a gas \ diesel hybrid much like the old chevy 350 diesels of my day. The LD crank gives it more compression with its longer stroke. Will make a Z run like hell!! I like the dually. Most of the tons offered in our area were flatbeds. Neighbor has one i can pick up for 500 bucks. Might be a fun build.

#44 oakrun

oakrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Cars:2 78's

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

wondering if he ever got this truck drivable.  As for the galvanized tank...short term ok but long term storage not ok.

Galvanized tanks are not recommended for diesel fuel storage as the zinc reduces the storage life of diesel fuel by contributing to chemical instability. The short version means the fuel gets dark and yukkie quicker.

I saw a mention of using starting fluid to get the engine running. i hope he didn't use it. it can break rings. do not use starting fluid in diesels

#45 orizatlan

orizatlan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cars:Nissan 720

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Guys i'm back. I want to give you an update. In short, my build was successfull. Please ask me a ton of questions so that i can reply with the anwer to keep the knowlege here. I can could not have done it with out you guys so this is my way of giving back.So the last time i posted i was in Lousiana. I am know in Corpus Christi, Texas. Yes, i drove the rig down. No problems. Very Proud! So to sum up my work, the objective was to take an 1982 diesel sd22 out of a datsun and install this engine , wire harness and all, into a 1985 king cab gasser. Once i puclled both engines out. I first thought that the motor mounts were the same. Lessons learned, they are slightly different which requried my to tack on new motor mount to accomodate the sd22. I then coupled the engine and trans and with the hood off and radiator out, i lowered the powertrain into the bay. The truck was about 2 foot off the ground and this is the only way it would have made it. once i, there are very little mechanical things to hookup. Maybe only the accelarator cable.

Now electrically, what i did was pull out the entire wire harness all the way from inside the dash to the engine bay. I reinstalled a complete diesel wiring harness. I have the electrical wiring schematics that are color coded. I could not have done it without this either. It is very usefull. I am willing to share. What i could have done differently that would have saved alot of time is install a second wiring harness. So instead of taking out the gas harness, i would leave it in and install the disesl harness in parallel. What you really need from the diesel harness is the glow plug relay and timer and fuel pump positioner. Those 3 things can be integrated rather thank pulling the entire harness out. However, i can say that i have a very neat looking engine bay. So once everything was installed i tried to crank and nothing. My battery was not good enough. so i towed her and push started her in 3rd. After ten yrs of bieng in a swamp, it is incredible that is started the way it did. It was very sound, it purred, and most suprising, it did not smoke.  I drove it to the nearest gas station and filled up the tank with fresh diesel. and the rest is history. i know have 6000 miles on it and is my daily driver. I have learned alots about the engine and have loads of extra parts that i am finally ready to sell. 

Please reply and lets get the details out for the knowledge of all.Looking forward to chatting .

#46 Graesyolhoundawg

Graesyolhoundawg

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cars:82 datsun 720 diesel,84 Chevy m1010 diesel

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

I have the same problem ,thanks for the answers because I almost bought one of those rod dropping gassers to drop my engine in but I guess I am looking for another diesel frame or whole truck unless somebody knows what truck it will fit otherwise because my frame is rusting holes and the box is a cobble rig anyway.

#47 Lockleaf

Lockleaf

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts
  • Cars:'71 510 Goon, '90 240SX, '85 720, '69 Roadster, '96 Pathfinder, too much other shite

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Sounds like the only frame incompatibility was the motor mounts. Do you weld or have any connections to people who do?

Half Pint ('71 510 Goon) http://community.rat...agon/p?=1269361

Audrey ('69 Roadster 1600) http://community.rat...rey-the-ratster

Tiny Havok ('85 720 DIY built Crewcab 4x4) http://community.rat...ache/?p=1395455

720 Shenanigans http://community.rat...20-shenanigans/