engine bay clean out

datson4life

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

havent updated much or put up pics cause my computer gave up the ghost, ive been using my nieces, but so far the engine is about ready, wish i can upload pics,.......question, today i bought a 60 amp alternator, thats twice as much as the stock cause i have a sound system, well question is: do i need a different voltage regulator for the 60 amp alternator? i know u gotta change it out everytime u replace alternator but my voltage regulator is about 2 months old, and im wondering if 30 amp and 60 amp alternators use different regulators :confused:

havent updated much or put up pics cause my computer gave up the ghost, ive been using my nieces, but so far the engine is about ready, wish i can upload pics,.......question, today i bought a 60 amp alternator, thats twice as much as the stock cause i have a sound system, well question is: do i need a different voltage regulator for the 60 amp alternator? i know u gotta change it out everytime u replace alternator but my voltage regulator is about 2 months old, and im wondering if 30 amp and 60 amp alternators use different regulators :confused:

Do you have a internal external regulator first of all,and if you dont why dont you convert to internal.that will also help with the cleaning up of the engine bay.

if the 60amper alternator is a EXTERNAL then the regulator is fine.

The regulator smooths out the voltage to like 14.1 volts. as a alternator make AC current of like 15volts or above and its not regulator and varies. The reg cups it off at about 14volts give and take.

Key is know what type of alternator you have or the year of the vehicle it comes from. at about 78-79 they were going to the Interregulator that inside the alt. Waht I do is x ref Rockauto.com(year and model of vehicle) and look in the electrical section and if it list a voltage reg you know its a EXTERNAL type

However since you got a 60amper alternator I dont know what they came out of myself. Most 60amper are IR type.

I seen people run the IR type and still use the external volt reg which is a big NO NO

^^^^ there it is, thanks konig209, bead blasted valve comer, timing cover, thermostat housing, valve job and machined, all new gaskets, painted, new alternator, starter, and timing chain tensioner,...................realised today i have a a87 head on l16 block, where does a87 head come from? and how does it differ from stock l16 head?

get rid of those Autolite plugs, Buy only NGK or NipponDenso.

maybe you want to get the turnbuckle type alternator adjustment. I never like the slighted brackets ones my self.

do it now cause after its installed the Long water pump bolt will hit the radiator and you have to pull the Rad out if you want to change it out later.

also when you install wuith the bigger alternator in a 521 it could hit the idler arm mount ther eon the frame.

If too long a belt you will notice and rattle,cuase a vibration inside.

surprised mike or hainz didnt mention that the stock fuel pressure is only like 3-4 psi and that if you get a electronic pump that you need a regulator (if you mentioned that you have one already, sorry i didnt catch it)

• 2 weeks later...