clutch slave Bursting

ddrum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the clutch collar MUST match the pressure plate. This is because the pressure plates are not only different in width 200mm, 225mm, and 240mm... but the diaphragm fingers (that the release bearing push against) are at different distances from the flywheel surface. To keep clutch arm working through the same position and geometry (and so the slave piston doesn't fall out) different length collars are used.

I don't have a '79 release collar picture but all L20B collars should be the same for the truck as they all use a 225mm pressure plate. Generally the larger the pressure plate the shorter the collar length. I've heard of incorrect collars being installed before and if too long the clutch doesn't fully engage and acts like you have the peddle down slightly... might even slip. If too short the clutch doesn't fully disengage and acts like it isn't even working and cant get into gear.... grinds into reverse.

ok it is the 225mm flywheel and 225mm clutch kit, its for a 79' 620. I guess it comes down to either the collar or did something wrong?

So does this mean you removed it and measured it? and it's 225mm???

Also if apart, which collar did it have on there????

Yeah i took it off and measured it and it was in fact a 225mm. Well the truck used to have an l16, but the engine seized so a i got this l20b to swap in, and when i got the l20b it only came with the flywheel since the truck had no transmission in it (junkyard).

Ill be putting everything back this next week so it should work.

Oh and it had the one on the left.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Erick

• 2 years later...

Hey so what was the issue here? I just put an l20 and a 85 5 speed in my '73 truck. It had a l16 and 4 speed.

I'm having the same issue where the clutch fork isn't touching the slave cylinder.

The 5 speed didn't come with a fork or collar so I used the one off the 4 speed.

I'm already guessing the collar is the wrong length cause the l16 would have a 200mm flywheel and pressure plate and the l20 has a 225mm.

F*ck

the later trans used a fork that had a cup that the slave rod would fit into. abd youll use the rod for that car as its sized different also. as the L156 trans use da fork that had a hole in the end so the threaded slave rod the ball end was adjustable

in the end you need a 225mm T/O bearing and the Collar to go with it

I think you can used the L16 fork but need to use the adjustable slave rod so you can manipulate the adjustment. The slave cylinder its self is the same but when you order one it assume it come with the correct rod . as the lengths are different and the later ones not adjustrable as its for the latter type clutch forks.

this is all from my experience but not 100percent certain as never installed a l20

its based on diaphram height on the clutch

I don't think so Hainz. The 521 and the 510 had the hole and adjuster push rod but not the 620.

Later 4 speed and 71B clutch arms. Only difference I could see was the two fold lines from the 4 speed one...

goon5speedswapF4W63abdFS5W71B036Large-1.

Somewhat on topic.....

I installed the L16 out of my parts truck while waiting to collect fund for a complete rebuild of my L20B and I'm very sure I used the the throw out bearing and collar that was hooked up the L16. Blew air through line from master to slave and replaced slave. When the truck is cold and I've got the choke the clutch slips a lot, 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. But once the truck warms up I don't have much of an issue with slippage. Could there be anything related to these previously mentioned issue of wrong collar going on here or do I just need to replace the clutch?

A too long collar will be depressing the clutch even with the clutch all the way up. It's like driving around with your foot pushing on the pedal. Also the release bearing is constantly under load and won't last long like this. Simple enough to check if your pedal has any free play. Just push down on the pedal with your thumb. There should be a few mm or 1/16" of looseness before there is resistance felt. If you can, adjust the pushrod between the pedal and the master to get the correct amount. If you have some free play then I would think the pressure plate is cooked.

A too long collar will be depressing the clutch even with the clutch all the way up. It's like driving around with your foot pushing on the pedal. Also the release bearing is constantly under load and won't last long like this. Simple enough to check if your pedal has any free play. Just push down on the pedal with your thumb. There should be a few mm or 1/16" of looseness before there is resistance felt. If you can, adjust the pushrod between the pedal and the master to get the correct amount. If you have some free play then I would think the pressure plate is cooked.

Would a 'cooked pressure plate' lead to any explaination for why the clutch doesn't slip as much once its warmed up/ driven around for a while?

No idea, maybe. When the PP is slipping it usually gets replaced so not much is known about it, except that it's slipping and needs to be replaced.

Check for the 1/16" pedal play. If you have play, and it still slips then it's probably bad.

Yes, small amount of play. Already have a clutch kit to install. I asked for the kit for a 73 620, i.e., L16

One final question. This motor is one of the L16 motors that has a 210 cast into the block, from 521's and 510's. Would these have the same throw out bearing and collar? The 200mm one?

All N American L16s truck or car came with a 200mm diameter clutch and pressure plate. The 210 is cast into the aluminum head just behind the fuel pump along the bottom edge.

The 521 and the 510 BOTH use the same release bearing and collar.

Collar..................... 30501-23001 or the later 510's superseded number 30501-N1601. Same part

Release bearing.... 30502-14601

Interesting but not the identifier for the block. Possibly some casting code or revision. The block is identified by the stamped number on the raised boss along the top edge of the block where it meets the head directly behind the oil dip stick....

LseriesID.jpg

It will say L16, L18 or in this case L20B

enginenumberL20B002Large-1.jpg

The 210 I'm referring to is only found on the heads of the L16 engine...

IMG_0041_zps1ac7688d.jpg