Voltage regulator

510Craven

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if you changed the reg and the alternator and your POSITIVE it not that.?????

My 521 I notice the fuse was blown. I swap the FUSE,it would be be good for about a second then alternator would not charge  fuse was blown again. Find out my instrument clust connector was dirty or not making good connection. I reseat it then got the 12volt to energize the alternator. then it worked

I believe on a STOCK 521 regulator, and alternator setup, the regulator is energized by a white with a blue stripe when the key is on.  This is the source of alternator field current.   There is is a relay inside the voltage regulator that has the coil of the relay energized when the alternator starts providing charge voltage.   This relay has several functions.   This relay grounds the "IGN" light on the dashboard.  On an external regulated alternator setup, the "IGN" light current is not used to energize the alternator field coil.

On an internal regulated alternator, the charge light current is used to energize the field coil of the alternator.

On an external regulated alternator setup, the "IGN" light current is not used to energize the alternator field coil.

On an internal regulated alternator, the charge light current is used to energize the field coil of the alternator.

Learn something every day. Thanks Daniel.

So odd thing happened today. I was omw home from work. Voltage was getting low and I was stuck at a light so I flashed my high beams and blew the headlight fuse. Pulled over and replaced it. Next thing I know the truck is charging at 13.5v. I drops to 13 or 12.8 at low idle and Highway speeds it doesn't go over 13.7

• Like 1

I had this happen to a couple solidstate VRs. when I changed the motor I forgot to ground the wire good near the volt reg and I guess the regs popped somehow.

Cause when  I put the heat and lights on it stayed above like 16volts so I know the volt reg went bad. I put a new VR one in and it was fine after that.

I don't know if the mechanical type do this or not but I will never use a NAPA Elchin branded VRs again as I had 2 and both went bad in like 3 years so 1.5 year average.

I would clean the contacks from the fuse box and connections from there to the lamps if accessable. Your getting a high reisitance short which can cause a heavy draw. sometimes the fusable link will melt also.