Dimeton Abbey

freetheoranges

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting intake......first I've seen......

Anybody have any info on these??

What do you want to know? Other than the obvious, that it's a 70s Offenhauser dual plane intake, there's not much else to know. I've seen plenty of them, but they are getting pretty rare these days. 

If you run it, knife-edge the split where it meets the head. It flows a little better that way. It's designed to increase torque, and it does. A bit.  ^_^

• Like 2

What do you want to know? Other than the obvious, that it's a 70s Offenhauser dual plane intake, there's not much else to know. I've seen plenty of them, but they are getting pretty rare these days. 

If you run it, knife-edge the split where it meets the head. It flows a little better that way. It's designed to increase torque, and it does. A bit.  ^_^

Thx!!

Not much was obvious to me other than it was different.......had no idea what the purpose was.....

.......hadn't had time to research yet.......

Knife edge idea is great....but I'm on a time budget......will do in the future though....

Couple issues though.......

-Carb needs new internals....idle will not drop...still diesels.....dammit!!

-Radiator decided to start pissing in my face as I was adjusting timing....doh!!

Other than that......she needs brakes.....baaaad..

Engine sounds strong though!! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Another HUGE issue I forgot to mention.......probably needs to be addressed ASAP......

What would cause this??

I didn't have time to look into it......it'll go back on the rack tomorrow to check more things out......

....but has this happened to anyone??

:o  :o 

IMG_9093_zps6c199633.jpg

IMG_9119_zps579e68b4.jpg

IMG_9118_zpsdb71c37b.jpg

Something bent?? installed wrong/backwards?? :confused:

Ok......so.....found out during lunch it's most likely the oil pan......

Gotta find a new one......who's got the stock pile on oil pans??

.........I'll take a couple..... :D

Anyways......

Last nights progress.......

IMG_9094_zpsa03d5bde.jpg

Had issues with the base plate....

First.....the studs go too far......had to grind them down........but when they were flush and I set the carb on it.....it wobbled.....

So I dug up my old one for a temp until I can mill this one......

.........or learn how..... :lol:

IMG_9095_zps7443392b.jpg

IMG_9096_zps0969ad64.jpg

IMG_9097_zps18e98a0d.jpg

• Like 1

Another HUGE issue I forgot to mention.......probably needs to be addressed ASAP......

What would cause this??

....but has this happened to anyone??

Ok......so.....found out during lunch it's most likely the oil pan......

That is a 620/610 oil pan. It has a longer sump than a 510 pan. 

To put any L-series engine into a 510 you must use a 510 oil pan. A lot of guys on here don't believe me when I say this, but at least 9 times out of 10 this is what happens when you don't.  

• Like 2

Linkage was an issue before......

.................actually......I didn't like the hacked look.....

IMG_9106_zpsc82f61cd.jpg

So I dug through our brake spring box.........

IMG_9107_zps622d69d7.jpg

Pin box.......

IMG_9110_zpsff7dda9c.jpg

.....and a warsher...

IMG_9123_zps1b0cf054.jpg

Voila!!

IMG_9124_zpsc8eab793.jpg

If idles high I would ckeck the speed screw. try adjust idle mixture and timming.

also for the Pinging ck with timming light so your positive your not off a tooth and try SUper Gas also I didnt see if you ran a water line to the intake. as these might cool the mixture slighly so it dont preignite.

also most L20s cam with a cutoff Selinoid on the stock carb. But if this is the Closed chamber head I would think it wouldnt do this as I run cheap gas on my l16 18 with closed chamber and not pingin.

I see you not running a heater. just make sure you dont have a airbubble in system

After a lot of run around by my boss I was finally able to pick her up on Wednesday afternoon.

Brakes are terrible but still can come to a stop.

Increased height of the carb changed the accel. angle and fell out a couple of times.

Has that awesome tin-ny sound but will need a hot adjust sometime soon.

Radiator holding fluids, however recore next pay day. Yes I want the stock rad look. No I don't want to fab to make something else work. Yes, I'm sure.

After a lot of run around by my boss I was finally able to pick her up on Wednesday afternoon.

Brakes are terrible but still can come to a stop.

Increased height of the carb changed the accel. angle and fell out a couple of times.

Has that awesome tin-ny sound but will need a hot adjust sometime soon.

Radiator holding fluids, however recore next pay day. Yes I want the stock rad look. No I don't want to fab to make something else work. Yes, I'm sure.

Sooo is your car better than what it was? sounds like some minor things, bleed the brakes, adjust carb, "I" would get an aftermarket radiator my stock got hot tanked and didn't do the job for my motor...