Dimeton Abbey

freetheoranges

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Was able to salvage my tires and mount them to the new to me rims. If I can sell my rims before canby I'll have some extra cash.

14196682249_8411e72f0d_b.jpg

Don't mind the lugs......

14403491373_8fa40d4ce8_b.jpg

This is on the front and is just Never Wet spray.....

Bought some new lugs this morning for 35 bucks! Eesh! Better pics later.......

My drive to Oregon thus far. Copied from event thread.

Got here about a half hour ago, to Silver Falls.

I had many many mishaps but didn't BUST! Whew!

Driving on I-5, engine turns off at 70mph and couldn't bring it back. Turned out to be that one of two connections to the coil fell off. I added a zip tie and after flooding it for a while I got it to fire up. We wasted 20 minutes over a fallen wire.

Turns out a dude named Ian in an orange 4 door dime had passed whist I was diagnosing the problem. He told me later at a rest stop, that he had taken an off ramp to go southbound so he could then come northbound to help me out.

The shoulder was all loose rock. I had left by the time he got back northbound.

My girl, Kimberly and I were about to leave when I looked in the rear view and saw an orange dime marked 1600. We ended up talking for like 10 minutes before he asked to join my caravan (me). He peaced out in Medford and said he and a buddy are coming to Canby on Sunday.

I'd post a pic but I'm mobile.

I had 1 seven hour redline, 1 five energy, 3 redbulls, 2 V8's, and a gallon of H2O over my 13 hour drive north.

And then........... It had to fucking rain. And my wiper switch didn't work. And I had to lean out with my lenky arms and a rag to wipe the gobs of moisture from the windshield. Even had to pull over and wait on several occasions. SOOOO DANGEROUS! Had no RainX, only RainX headlight restorer (wtf?) and literally no place out of 8 truck stops sells it. And since it was after 2 am most normal places were long closed.

Also, on several occasions, rocks on roadway freak me the fuck out .............and I over analyze.

Rainx is great as I use it and in the rain on the way to Summit Poin this year or any year the water just slides right off. But I do have wipers on the 510 because NH cops and state troopers or any cps on the way to Summit would no better love to pull my ass over and ticket me for not having them. They don't hassel you in Maine housew? You going to the MT. Washington Auto road Race last weekend in June? Dave Patten of FUTOFAB will be running one of his race Datsuns. I'll be there Saturday up halfway to view the cars getting sideways. Looking for that kodak moment with the Nikon and big glass.

Lou

damn, i have plans that weekend (and pretty much all of them). I really wanted to make that. Would have been great to meet up with some other datto guys too. Looks like east coast 510 may do a smaller september/oct meet this year. I might try to make that if its on a weekend i'm not in a wedding

sorry for hijacking your thread, Ratsuns pretty dead when all you west coasters have canby. Just leaves the 10 east coast guys on here to chat it up.

Haha no worries.

I used a branch and some zip ties to fasten to the wiper arm for manual motion. Worked well!

Bought a switch from Canby and replaced a fuse. Presto Chango!

On the way back my engine was going nuts so we pulled the carb and the baseplate was really fucking loose! All we could acquire was cardboard, so bababooey helped me fashion a gasket.

Tomorrow I pull it apart again and change gasket/ thread lock hex bolts/ install new studs and hardware.

The cardboard gasket lasted like 400+ miles at 70mph to get me and the gf home.

• Like 1

My low end power is gone. It's like 1st maxes at 3mph, 2nd at 5mph, 3rd at 20mph, 4th at 30, and 5th carries from 40-75mph.

EDIT: when I'm in gear but not pressing on the accelerator (air braking) the carb area makes a loud WHEEE sound.

I dunno - the air mixture is messed up and now I gotta tinker tomorrow if my body lets me.

My accelerator ass cheek is sooo sore it's ridiculous.

Not the pleasant WHEE like above.

Disassembled, cut and installed new gasket.

Low end power has returned.

Only trouble is the exhaust pipe rattling around in the crossmember hole. I can't even idle without it banging 8 times a second.

Suggest a fix???? Wood pieces? Plastic Silverware? Cardboard? Something that won't ignite with heat...

I feel like I'm being annoying to everyone on and around the roadway and it gives me much anxiety! So loud! BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG BANG every second of idle.

Not the pleasant WHEE like above.

Disassembled, cut and installed new gasket.

Low end power has returned.

Only trouble is the exhaust pipe rattling around in the crossmember hole. I can't even idle without it banging 8 times a second.

Suggest a fix???? Wood pieces? Plastic Silverware? Cardboard? Something that won't ignite with heat...

I feel like I'm being annoying to everyone on and around the roadway and it gives me much anxiety! So loud! BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG BANG every second of idle.

What size exhaust you have running through that hole? Most 510s with mods have that hole enlarged to 3" and some more, mine is 3.5" with 2.25" pipe running through. You simply need a good stiff exhaust mount mounted to the crossmember or body. Make sure those mounts have some rubber somewhere to absorb ex-vibrations.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...