85 King Cab 2wd bed.

djflizo69

What's up guys my name is Florencio but all my friends call me "Flo" i'm new to the 720 world but i have brothers that had 720's back in the day when i was only 15-16 years old. I am now the proud owner of a 85 King Cab. I plan on doin it up Southern California style. My question is, Is the bed from a regular cab long bed the same as a King Cab bed? I mean, are the mounting points the same? Can you put a long bed on a King Cab from a regular cab long bed? Also, does anybody now the measurements from corner to corner on a King Cab? (Diagonal) I'm trying to check the squareness of my frame.Oh! can you guys tell me the lengths between a long bed and a short bed? Anyway, i hope to here from the pros, Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Longbed beds are significantly longer. King Cabs have short beds. On the 720, the King Cab bed and the SWB (Short Wheelbase) truck are the same length BUT the mounts are in different places, but more importantly the wheel openings and inner fenders are in different places (this wasn't the case on the earlier 620).

You could put a Longbed bed on a KC, but you would need to lengthen the frame (or, easier, cut 2 trucks apart and weld the frames together just behind the cab).

Thanks for the response datsunaholic. I think someone put a different bed on my truck after they wrecked it. I'v tried to alighn the bed but it wont line up with the cab,The mounts on the bed seem to be different. So, i should be trying to fit a king cab bed on my truck, and not a regualr cab bed, Right?

Also, does anybody now the measurements from corner to corner on a King Cab? (Diagonal) I'm trying to check the squareness of my frame.

There is no diagonal measurement for what you want but from the rear most box bolt hole on one side, diagonally across to the first box mount hole forward of the differential and on the other side, is 1,685.4mm (or for the Americans... 66.35")

From that bolt hole diagonally across to the front box mount hole is 1,351.5mm (53.2")

From the front box bolt hole diagonally to the rear cab bolt hole is 60.78"

From the rear cab bolt hole diagonally across to the front cab mount hole (under feet) is 47.38"

From the front cab mount hole diagonally scross to the front rad support hole is 38.56"

Sorry this is all I have so you will have to make a series of squared up boxes.

...can you guys tell me the lengths between a long bed and a short bed? Anyway, i hope to here from the pros, Thanks in advance!!

The box itself????

Long wheelbase is................... 86.4" by 56.9"

Short wheelbase and KC......... 72.2" by 56.9"

Wheelbase???

Long box and KC is.............. 110.8"

Short bed ............................. 101.4"

Thanks guys for the responses. datsun, my bed is not matching up with the cab.If i put the bolts through the holes on the bed and frame,The cab and bed dont line up. I have to take the bolt out behind the passengers side so that the bed will line up. The bed isn't forming a "V" I measured the frame in afew places and the measurmeants were right on,so i don't think my frame is bent. I also checked the cab mounts,theay aren't rusted out either. I'm in southern Cali, so no rust problems. datz, i'm going to measure out my wheel base to see if i have a long bed or short bed.

Yes.

But first, how is it not aligning? Up/down? Or just too much/too little gap? Up/down could be rusted out cab mounts, a common problem. Front/back would be the wrong bed. If it forms a "V" then that's a bent frame.

Also datsun, the people who did the work on the truck and put the bed on, They torched the holes on the frame to make them bigger so that the bed would align with the cab!! :no: :blink:

Maybe post some pictures of this. We could talk all night about 'fit' and get no where. Maybe you have an '84 bed on it? '85-'86 are the same

datz, don't the 84's have the tie downs on the bed? Mine does'nt have them. I think they put a regular cab bed on it. I'm going to take off the bed tommorrow and take pictures of my frame and under the bed. I'll put up the pictures tommorrow. Thanks again for your expertise guys!! :thumbup:

datz, this whole thing began because the truck was runnin sideways like when the axle and leafs aren't put on right (alighnment bolt or whatever). So i thought it might be a crooked frame,but i measured from the frame to the back of the brake drums on both sides and they are spot on. I also did a couple of measurements on the frame from the back of the cab back and the measurements were good. That's where i started messing with the bed. I think it might have a reg cab bed instead of a kc bed.Tomorrow i'm going to take the bed off completely and snap some pictures and measure the frame to see where we're at, tha;s why i was asking for the frame measurements to try and square it up.

Hey Flo, Good to have on board with us bro!

You say your brothers had 720's back in the days? Were they from any club(s) back then? Reason i ask is because me & a few others are OG's from back in the mini truck days and we too are re-building 720's 80's style....we have monthly meets in the local area...you should come on out to the next one and have your brothers come on out too....Maybe they'll get bot by the 720 bug again! :thumbup:

Hey Flo, Good to have on board with us bro!

You say your brothers had 720's back in the days? Were they from any club(s) back then? Reason i ask is because me & a few others are OG's from back in the mini truck days and we too are re-building 720's 80's style....we have monthly meets in the local area...you should come on out to the next one and have your brothers come on out too....Maybe they'll get bot by the 720 bug again! :thumbup:

What's up SHORTDOG! Yeah one of my brothers rode solo, but the other on was from "Class Act Minis". I'v seen your trucks bro and i gotta say, those are bad ass!! When my bro's had they're trucks i was a young blood but still cruised with them to Hollywood,The Winnery, Legg Lake Whittier and so on. I have a set of chrome cookie cutters that i'v had for many years, i think now is the time to slap them on, but i gotta get this whole thing straightened out first with the body. I'v been following your posts on the get togethers,i'll be going soon so keep them up!!! I'm in my early forty's now bro, but i can't wait to cruise my truck and bump the disco (HINRG) all day long!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Right on bro! Hey i will let you know when we are having the next meet...I was thinking about holding at Legg lake for old times sake! Probably going to be like a BBQ get together.

By the way, if you plan on running the cookie cutters, I might be interested in buying the wheels you got on your truck now. ;)

Right on bro! Hey i will let you know when we are having the next meet...I was thinking about holding at Legg lake for old times sake! Probably going to be like a BBQ get together.

By the way, if you plan on running the cookie cutters, I might be interested in buying the wheels you got on your truck now. ;)

LOL!!! I was thinking of polishing the ST's, you know whats up bro!! ;) Having two sets,just like the OL' days. :)

Tell them to make me an offer! They'll never find one this clean.....lower it, tint the windows, polish the ST's and your done!

http://community.rat...20-king-cab-st/

I know bro, it's a very clean truck for sure.I don't think they'll ever see a truck that clean in there lives. Problem is, they all have Harley's and familys, so it's gonna be hard for them to get a truck (At least not one like yours)!

Well it's not a longbox, as you have to ad 16 inches to the frame for it to fit, or move the axle 16 inches back on the leafs, which would be obvious.

Is the axle mounted on the leafs in the center like it is supposed to be?

Is the box sitting lower than the cab?

You need to describe exactly what is not lining up, your to vague about the issue.

As I recall, the short box, regular cab truck box has the fender wells in a differant location, so the axle would not be centered on the leafs to make it work.

I can see what datsunaholic is talking about now, in these photos of the driverside, you can see the wheel is about even with the side of the truck.

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

But in the image below, the wheel is set back into the fender well on the passenger side.

IMG_2573.jpg

Is this what you are talking about when you say the box doesn't line up?