55 replies to this topic

#1 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cars:Datsun 1200 and a bunch of non-Datsuns

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I recently picked up a 1200 sedan in Tucson. I'd been wanting a 1200 for awhile and did a CL search out of the blue and this one came up. I called the dude and it soudned good so I made plans to pick it up a few days later. It was pretty much original one-owner car with the exception of some minor crappy bondo work on the passenger side. It had original paint and engine, etc. Suspension seems pretty solid too. My plans are up in the air at this time. However, the first stop was the body shop to get it to look good. While patina is cool, I decided to take a different route with this one. I am having it repainted in the original orange color. I am also going to get the bumpers and trim repaired and chrome dipped. I would like to lower it a bit and throw some rims on it ASAP. I found a set of 14x6.5 mesh wheels I had on my AE86 Corolla at one time which will have some 185/55R14 tires mounted shortly. Long term plans are an engine and drivetrain swap. Not sure which to go with, though. I like the idea of a 13BT or an SR20DET, but I have an F20C sitting at my warehouse that would still give me good economy and plenty of power. Choices, choices.
Here's some pics:
Previous owner sent me this one:
Posted Image
I never got to take any decent pics before the shop started tearing into it. Here it is at the bodyshop:
Posted Image

#2 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,317 posts
  • Cars:'73 1200 Coupe, '77 280Z

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Dumb question, how sure are you it's a '72?

That front valence only came on '73s. :thumbup:

Love it, BTW. And glad to see one more Texan here. B)

It's your car, just don't ruin it.

It's also not my money, so i'll suggest the most expensive option. 

#3 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Dumb question, how sure are you it's a '72?

That front valence only came on '73s. :thumbup:

Love it, BTW. And glad to see one more Texan here. B)

Interesting. :confused: The title says its a '72.
Yup, gotta represent our big ass state!!! B)

#4 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• 13,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Possible the front valence was replaced at some point? :confused:

Another tip-off is if it has the little "fasten seat belts" light on the top center of the dash? Or wiper/headlight knobs that light up? Got either of those?

#5 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• 13,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh, and quite often back then the car was titled as the year it was sold, not necessarily the year that it is. :thumbup:

#6 AZ_L320

AZ_L320

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Cars:65' L320, 72' 1200 Coupe & 70' Roadster

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

I recently picked up a 1200 sedan in Tucson. I'd been wanting a 1200 for awhile and did a CL search out of the blue and this one came up. I called the dude and it soudned good so I made plans to pick it up a few days later. It was pretty much original one-owner car << SNIP

Dang, so you took another 1200 out of Arizona!!!! We need all the Datsun's we find in this state! JK B) LOL. Nice looking sedan though. Looking forward to seeing more about it.

Possible the front valence was replaced at some point? :confused:

Another tip-off is if it has the little "fasten seat belts" light on the top center of the dash? Or wiper/headlight knobs that light up? Got either of those?

My 72' Coupe has the "fasten seat belts" light on top of the dash, but I don't have lighted knobs. So maybe some of the years got mixed in???? B)

Dale - AZ

Posted Image

Dale - Arizona
1965 L320 - Bamboo Tan
1972 1200 Coupe - Sun-Light Blue
1970 1600 Roadster - White

#7 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• 13,317 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

My 72' Coupe has the "fasten seat belts" light on top of the dash, but I don't have lighted knobs. So maybe some of the years got mixed in???? B)

I will scratch the "dash-mounted seat belt light" from my '73 spotter's guide list then. ^_^

#8 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, guys. I have some big plans with this car and don't plan to be too slow with it. Paint should be done in a couple of weeks and then its on to the suspension and engine swap.

#9 CGS1948

CGS1948

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Cars:1981 Toyota Starlet 2005 Camry XLE Dattoless (for now)

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Dang, so you took another 1200 out of Arizona!!!! We need all the Datsun's we find in this state! JK B) LOL. Nice looking sedan though. Looking forward to seeing more about it.

Dale - AZ

Posted Image

Same here, my '72 has a build date of 1/72, no lighted knobs, but a "Fasten Seat Belts" light on top of the dash.

"Retired, but not tired"

#10 KELMO

KELMO

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Cars:71 Goon, 72 1200 coupe x 2, 69 F250

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

Same with my 72....Fasten seat belt deal on the dash and no lighted knobs, build date 4/72......can neither confirm nor deny that the dash is original, ya'll know how it goes right?
NISMO: Nissan Impresses Sluts More Often
"Well, primer gray IS a color..." (quote: Kelmo's wife)

#11 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

I got some185/55R14 tires and mounted them on a set of Perrier Mesh 14x6.5 +10 I had previously on my AE86.
Posted Image

I needed more power, but how to go about it was the question. Originally, I was thinking SR20DET or 13BT. However, I had a F20C engine/tranny combo laying around that I planned to install in my AE86. Well, after going to my warehouse and starting the Corolla up, I couldn't bring myself to take out the perfectly running 235k mile 4AGE. My decision was made for me and I decided to do the F20C swap in the 1200.
After chatting with Ricardo Ramirez at the JCCS, I asked who did the swap on his SR20DET powered 1200 and he told me Wrench-Pro in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Well, after seeing the work on his car and asking if he recommended them (he did-highly), I decided they would be the shop to go to. I spoke with them and decided to take the plunge and ship it over from TX to CA. I pulled it out of the body shop halfway through the body/paint work to get the engine swap done. I had it dropped off yesterday and they were wrenching on it today:
Posted Image

Now all I need is a damn windshield!

#12 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

It fits!!!

Posted Image

#13 Draker

Draker

Ratsun-Erect

• 12,709 posts
  • Cars:1971 2 door 510, 1969 4 door 510, 2002 Tacoma double cab

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hrm... Not sure what to think. I love the sunny, but I'm not a huge fan of bastardized swaps. I'm sure it will be fun to drive though.. so good luck!!

View my 69 510 4dr Sedan - Build Thread
View my 71 510 2dr Sedan - Coming soon.

http://drakers.pl510.info

#14 ggzilla

ggzilla

Road Warrior

• 19,058 posts
  • Cars:no cars

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Seatbelt light came in 1972 (calendar year).

Lighted knobs came in 1973 (model year). Big bumper pads are the most obvious sign.

parts catalog says Sedan & Coupe aprons differ.
Here today gone tomorrow

#15 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hrm... Not sure what to think. I love the sunny, but I'm not a huge fan of bastardized swaps. I'm sure it will be fun to drive though.. so good luck!!

I appreciate the sentiment. I know some purists will frown on the build. It's all hardware to me, and while I have my limits (I wouldn't put an LSX in my Porsches no matter how powerful!) the F20C is an engine I have been wanting to sample. I've never been a big fan of the S2000, but really love the specs of the powertrain.
Fun and reliability are key for me on this car so originality never factored in. I'm a lover of all cars, so this car is an experiment as I have never cross-bred platforms and drivetrains before. I plan to install A/C in it and drive it as often as possible. I normally trailer my cars to shows, but this one will be driven to JCCS '13.

#16 BRE510

BRE510

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Cars:Red 1972 SR20DET Powered 620; 1974 Toyota Corona; 1971 BRE 510 Replica (SOLD); White 1972 620 (SOLD)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

:thumbup: Love it!

#17 Duncan

Duncan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Is that a S2000 motor? It looks like it fits nice, and having a rocket ship 1200 sounds cool to me! It's your car, have fun with it.

Posted telepathically from my man cave...

#18 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Is that a S2000 motor? It looks like it fits nice, and having a rocket ship 1200 sounds cool to me! It's your car, have fun with it.

Yup, S2000 engine. Thanks, it fits surprisingly well. I'm also having portions of the body stitch welded to better cope with the added power. Should be a nice little combo with the light weight of the 1200 and high revving nature of the F20C. Long term plans include a turbo setup and standalone. However, I want to see how it copes with 200whp and stock ecu, etc. before I go crazy down the road.

#19 datrod

datrod

Wagon Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,181 posts
  • Cars:1971 datsun 240Z race car, 1972 240Z Back on the road.,1971 datsun 510 wagon(The Radio Flyer)

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Nice job so far. But please tell me your going to clean up that engine bay. I hate to see people go thru all that work and just settle for a black spray can engine bay.

With that little car and that motor I don't see the need for a turbo. Unless you have a death wish. :rofl:

I came here today to chew some bubblegum and kick some ass. Right now I'm all out of bubblegum. 

My biggest fear is that when I die, My wife will sell my cars for what she thinks I have in them.

:fu:

#20 EPTXDatsun

EPTXDatsun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Nice job so far. But please tell me your going to clean up that engine bay. I hate to see people go thru all that work and just settle for a black spray can engine bay.

With that little car and that motor I don't see the need for a turbo. Unless you have a death wish. :rofl:

Yes, that was just a test fit. The engine bay is going to be sprayed the same color as the body. I'm not in a huge rush to turbo it...yet.