Mustard 620 KC from OR to England

Willdatsun

Here's my project 620KC thread!

Just picked up my 620 from the docks here in England from a fellow Ratsunner in Oregon. In case you were wondering.. the shipping cost me $2300!

620kc-rangetrol.jpg

Never seen a KC before apart from pics on the net, they didn't sell them in England and I'm not even sure they did them anywhere in Europe, if they did, there may not be any left anyway.

Truck is solid with faded paint (burnt through on the roof) straight body apart from dent in side of bed.

Truck is 4 speed manual. (Drum brakes, kingpins)

620kc-rear3.jpg

I couldn't understand why there was gearbox oil on the drivers seat and on the floor, eventually I worked out the shippers must have had this truck up at a steep angle in the container and the steering box emptied itself up the column and into the cab! Truck didn't have any kind of carpet so its just the seat and floor that need de-oiling.

I have removed, scrubbed and jetwashed the drivers seat. Just needs a week or so to dry out. I have B210 seat in there right now so I can move the truck about.

Anyways its such a luxury for me to have a Datsun with minimal rust. Everything else on Datsuns can be fixed easy enough!

I drove the truck it has very poor brakes and the engine is down on power. Improved the brakes a bit by taking the adjusters off and freeing them and adjusting and cleaning the shoes and drums. Rear ones need doing next. Found out why it was down on power, nice new Weber carb was only just cracking open the secondary throttle due to the cable / pedal needing adjusting and pedal bending up slightly to get more travel. It was also sticking due to friction on the throttle pump cam, and part of the carb was coming loose as well. Runs like a dream now with bags of grunt.

Very loud though and exhaust splatters your shins as you walk past it because it has a side exit. I plan to put a full system on to keep pedestrians / police / my ears happy.

I plan on lowering the truck 2-3 inches, I must measure the axle tube diameter so I can see if I can get longer U bolts.

Lots of other jobs to keep me busy before truck is ready for its MOT test (they test the car once a year in UK)

• Like 5
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what part of the carb was loose? Remember, that's a brand new exhaust. Only has about 500 miles on it. LOL Should be able to cut and extend out the back. Or what ever. LOL Super glad it went to a good home. Keep us updated

Larry

Grats!

Now you know what this means, right? It means we all want to see a few dozen pictures across all of England.

Take a trip up to Redmire Reservoir and take pics. =)

Now more importantly...

How did they manage to get a shipping container at such an angle that the gear box emptied itself?!?!

Yes the front wheels had been off, and the rear tyres had their valves taken out (and they didn't bother putting them back in!)

Well i've been doing loads of little jobs.... the story so far apart from the throttle and brakes

replace tyres

at-ats3.jpg

at-ats8.jpg

adjust tracking

620tracking.jpg

try some compound on the paint

620paint1.jpg

replace outer headlamps (RHD dip)

fit front white sidelamps

620paint3.jpg

rewire side markers to be indicator repeaters

disconnect orange sidelamps in valance

rewire rear lamps for separate brake and turn signals (run extra wires to back)

fit rear lenses with amber for turn signals

620amberrearlamps.jpg

remove gun rack & non working CB and clean package tray

tighten steering box

fix turn signals on dash

fit pillar aerial and working radio

620pillaraerial.jpg

620sharpstereo.jpg

replace gearlever bushes.

620gearbush.jpg

replace gearknob

620gearknob.jpg

interior lamp fuse gone - replaced

interior lamp unit not working look for new unit.

LH door pin switch not working, replace

620pinswitch.jpg

find a jack handle.

seal up torn wiring grommets in firewall

cigar lighter not earthing (tighten socket)

620cigarsocket.jpg

Repair seat mount where the metal was torn. (Welded fresh piece in)

620seatmetal.jpg

Well I appreciate the opportunity to get one, partly thanks to this site, and I hope you don't hate me for taking a nice truck from USA to bring here. There still seems to be quite a lot round over there but I wish people wouldn't take them to the junk yard, how rare do they have to get before people make more effort to preserve them?

I have a 520 on the way over next :)

• Like 1

We have to have amber turn signals. Luckily on 620 this is quite easy. the 'MOT' test is quite strict, no chips in the windshield, seat has to adjust, no rust holes within 12 inches of any steering suspension, brake or seatbelt component, they even check stuff like the rubber seal on the petrol cap.