Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Draker!  It is good to be back, better to be driving my Datsun!  It's on the road and hope to get back to the track soon.  I have a few things to do first...

I need to drill the hat bolts and safety wire my new brakes:

IMG-0200.jpg

So I can run my new wheels up front:

Test.jpg

...and about a million other things! lol

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 11:49 PM, Draker said:

Oh nice! Those look like they will perform well. What struts are you running up front?

Struts are Infiniti M30, same same as late Z31 turbo or S12 V6 but with 4 lug hubs and floating rotors.

Not much to update, I've just been driving it as much as I can before I take it to get exhaust fixed.

5-16-20-gas.jpg

Night cruise!  Before the curfews 😉

5-29-20-drive.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I have those nice pictures because I recently had an incident.  Forgot to latch the hood and went for a drive 😞  I smashed it up pretty good.

image0.jpeg.58b5f0da63f95971d5b8c4cb9580b3df.jpeg

It bent both wiper arms and blew up the blades, also got a nice dent in the cowl.  My hood got bent pretty bad.

image1.jpeg.5c6b604220b995ba1ffe870cfa1637d8.jpeg

Pretty bummed out.  A few weeks later, I put out a post on the gram asking if anyone local had a hood.  Within a few hours I had one lined up thanks to an old HS classmate and his brother.  Thanks guys!  We made arrangements to go pick it up the next weekend.  I was ready to take just about anything as long as it was straight.   Magically I found a pretty great condition hood half buried in leaves behind a stack of doors.  Got it home and cleaned it up over the next week.

Fresh out of the leaf pile:

image2.jpeg.683d4b06f5cc58085c23748dc97624dd.jpeg

After a thorough wash:

image3.jpeg.856b152410bc794de7907ad25233124b.jpeg

My first time trying to care about paint:

image4.jpeg.90a5ff79eeec59d646b7c91922494fa7.jpeg

It came out better than I could have hoped!  The plan is to wrap it.  That plan has been sidetracked because I haven't been able to get it to fit. My hinges were obviously bent so they came off and repops from Z car depot got installed.  Still no dice.  The hood is too far back and crooked to the drivers side.  All adjustments have been maxed so I am contemplating my next move.

At the same time this was going on I had been working through sorting out the brakes.  I couldn't get them bled for the life of me, then when I finally got some pedal the front calipers were gradually locking up as I drove.  Replaced the MC, bled again and the brakes are good!  Finally a win.  It was after this small victory with the brakes that the hood incident occurred.

I was cruising around for a few days uncomfortably hoodless when my clutch pedal went to the firewall on a 1-2 shift.  No leaks, so I figured the MC was roached from sitting with old fluid all these years.  I limped the car home and ordered a replacement.  It was delayed, and turns out I ordered the wrong part :). New part ordered and was also delayed, then I casually snapped my clutch line A/N adapter in the MC.  I couldn't save it so had to order a third master and a new adapter.  Got them installed and the pushrod was too long.  Pushrod is now trimmed and the system is ready to fill and bleed.  

Lots of real life happening around the car so progress is slow.  The goal is a (successful) track day before the end of this year...

• Like 4

I had the hood pins in my 510 race car come out during a race once. I watched the first one fly off, then watched the second one vigilantly wiggling back and forth until it hit the windshield on its way by. Then I braced for impact... The hood flying up broke the windshield and I had to make it to pit lane by taking down the driver window net and sticking my head out to see.

Sucks when shit like that happens to a nice car.

• Like 1

Yeah I am definitely lucky it happened at low speed, the windshield already has a crack but really glad it didn't turn out worse. 

Will,  I could possibly be open to a trade but I have a bit of time and some $ wrapped up in this one already...  Feel free to hit me up on IG @510Tyler, I would be interested to see some more pics of your hood if you want.

• Like 1