Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

Trying to troubleshoot the rich running condition without a multimeter or any real knowledge, I have been researching and decided maybe it was a bad ECU coolant temp sensor.  It would be cheap and easy to replace anyways.  I took a trip to the local Pick-and-Pull for a newer sensor and connector because mine was corroded.  I pulled a few from various Nissans but decided to get one from a Q45.  It had a better connector and was clean.  Wired it up and initially I thought the problem was solved but the AFR's eventually went back to 12-13:1 at idle and cruise, so no change.  I'm not sure what to try next at this point.

Old sensor:

D91F88E2-89A8-4112-A3EE-59783000D2DC_zps

New (I did clean it with a brass brush prior to installing, the connector terminals are super clean) :

5FB514E5-9205-4D25-AB41-920BC8B7C77B_zps

While wandering through the rows I found a few other things I could not leave in the yard.  Early Z32 aluminum rear calipers (now have a set of 4 ;) ) and 87 300zx 5 lug front hubs.  Future projects...  :D

D0AAFB2C-411C-434A-9B60-60341BC8681B_zps

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Mass air pipe to short off the turbo.  Lengthen it and it will run way better.  

I don't think that is causing my issue as it has run perfectly fine like this for years.  I have wondered about it though so I went to Pepboys for an elbow a connector and some clamps and lengthened the pipe a bit.  No noticeable change, still rich.  Idle/cruise anywhere between 10.8-13.5  mostly around 12's...

815538ED-4C18-41B8-9CE6-639B1D1E8E1F_zps

• 1 month later...

Without resolving my AFR issues I went to a trackday at Thunderhill.  It was cool.  My buddy offered to come with me and was nice enough to bring us up on his trailer.

22A54C54-EF3A-4AFD-AE17-3A1916586A46_zps

T_0336_4K_zpsv9fuepgl.jpg

T_0511_4K_zpsu16riofh.jpg

T_1278_4K_zpslsiye1ux.jpg

T_1229_4K_zpsnskxkva8.jpg

I cut the day short after the second session.  In addition to running very rich and using almost a full tank of fuel in 2 sessions I was blowing oil again.  It was coming from somewhere on the driver side, maybe the BOV or another bad coupler.  Rather than ignore it and clean up after every session we packed up and hit the road home.  I haven't touched it since, that was 12/11.  

I never really got up to pace on track but those 2 sessions were super fun and I hope to fix my problems and get back out there soon (next time with more Datsuns).

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Dang.. that one didn't last long. Sorry to see that!

It was a junk engine from the get-go and a bad buy.  After that trackday last year I only really drove it a couple other times.  It generally ran crappy and was smoking a ton.  Hopefully I can tear it down and salvage some of the hotrod aftermarket parts for a real build down the line.  For now I'm going to throw in a fresh from japan longblock and try not to detonate it. ;)

It was a junk engine from the get-go and a bad buy.  After that trackday last year I only really drove it a couple other times.  It generally ran crappy and was smoking a ton.  Hopefully I can tear it down and salvage some of the hotrod aftermarket parts for a real build down the line.  For now I'm going to throw in a fresh from japan longblock and try not to detonate it. ;)

Yeah I remember that.. bummer!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

It has been 13 months since my last update!  I guess I shouldn't have said "soon" lol.  About a month after I pulled #2 out I picked up #3 from Wolfreign Motors in Oakland.  It is a stock block S13 with HKS cams/ adj, cam gears:

HKS-gears-on-Engine-3.jpg

I got it home and on the stand where it has sat for most of this year.  You all know how it is, life and all that ;).  Well, on November 3rd, our autocross club held it's last event.  I had to go.  With my engine still on the stand and my alternate ride at a rallycross that day I took my DD.  It's a 2007 Honda Fit 5MT with 360000 miles of commuting and matching econo tires.  It was agonizingly slow and also chunked the front tires pretty bad, the surface is quite rough.  As I was getting comfortable with sitting out the afternoon sessions a certain gent that goes by the name of Lozer sat down next to me and offered me a drive in his car.  I initially declined but after about 30 seconds changed my mind.  The car is a 510 with SR turbo and big tires.  I had to,  and it was awesome.  Our cars are setup really differently, but the feels came rushing back.  Turbo 510s are so much fun!  My motivation was back, thanks Tom!!!

SO... In the last 6 weeks I got everything put together and it is in the car.  I have some things to button up but it has started!

I'm hoping the next update does not consist of me pulling this motor, or fighting weird running conditions from having a junk build! 

Edited by 510T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, Duke said:

There might be some news on this front.  I've heard about a possible new spot for next year!?

That is awesome, I just saw the newsletter.  Looks like Ukiah and an undisclosed local spot... ? 

Been busy with the holidays but I did manage to get my 510 a nice Christmas present:

15x10.jpg

Superlite.jpg

Superlite-2.jpg

They are going to take a little more work to fit than I bargained for but I love them!

Edited by 510T
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, the510keeper said:

Happy New Year man

Wheels do look good, what size are they

Thanks Keeper, you too! 

Wheels are 15x10 et-13.  The backspacing is right around 5".  I have wanted to get 15x10's for a while but they are a very tight fit so every dimension is critical.  One of the coolest things about these Superlites other than the look is that they will custom machine the offset, center bore, and bolt pattern.  They will even put in seats for whatever type of lugnut you want to run.  One of the biggest obstacles is the inside profile of the hub pad and spoke shape.  With more negative offset you get more room for brakes but at et-13 I was having issues.  Pictured above, my 26mm Z32 caliper on the stock Z32 11" rotor was fouling the wheel on the underside of the caliper,  it was rubbing the base of the spokes.  I could get them on but it took a 1/2" spacer and pushed the wheels too far out of the fender.  I really needed these to fit without any spacers if I wanted them to be my track wheels with 245/40 tires.  Another thing I always consider is how excessive negative offset can wreck steering feel.  So I started looking at new brakes!   

I found a few possible configurations.  I knew I could clear Q45 2 piston calipers on a re-drilled Q45 rotor, but considering a brake downgrade with bigger, stickier tires was not that appealing.  I found a few suppliers of a kit that used 30mm Z32 calipers on a 12.75" 350Z rotor, but just looking at the pictures I concluded it would not fit inside a 15" wheel.  I kept looking through the webs and started checking out all the various Arizona Z Car kits.  They have a 240sx baby big brake kit that uses 4 piston Wilwoods and a 12.2" rotor.  Hmm...  Lucky for me one of my very best friends had that exact kit literally collecting dust in his dad's garage.  2 days later:

image1-2.jpg

I threw a wheel on and was bummed that there was an ever so slight rub.  I initially thought the caliper was fouling the barrel and they wouldn't fit.  My old Rotas fit fine.  After some mucking around I realized that the wheel center cap was causing the wheel to not seat properly on the hub,  I popped off the cap and BOOM!!!  Perfection!

The clearance between the caliper and the barrel is extremely tight, like maybe 1 or 2mm:

image2-3.jpg

They do fit and no spacers means ??.?

image3-1.jpg

In other news the car is running and I have driven around the block!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...