Oldtimers rallycar - Datsun 1500 Pickup (620) 1979

Aibast

Hi you all Datsun fans, greetings from eastern-europe.

I found this forum when searching for info on Datsun 620. Have just bought one. It was originaly sold in Finland, in the early 90's moved to Estonia and I'm now the owner of this car.

Got it for Oltimers rally car. Regularity rally events for cars older then 30 years.

Here it is the yellow pickup - halled it home with my daily driver Volvo 850R

large_27211221_mW4B.jpg

large_27211225_CzRN.jpg

Parked in its current location. It drives, brakes are bad, lights all don't work and has some rust holes. As you can see from the pictures the back side panels have been replaced by someone in the past. The inside was covered with "rust proofing" that I now have removed. The original seat is in reabuild, the seat frame is repaired and is waiting for new covers. Needs new seatbelts and a lot of other things.

Here then are some pictures. I'll try to keep this thread updated as I prepare the car for the next event in February.

large_27233501_M53k.jpg

large_27233497_BYMh.jpg

large_27233477_Mxds.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi you all Datsun fans, greetings from eastern-europe.

I found this forum when searching for info on Datsun 620. Have just bought one. It was originaly sold in Finland, in the early 90's moved to Estonia and I'm now the owner of this car.

Got it for Oltimers rally car. Regularity rally events for cars older then 30 years.

Here it is the yellow pickup - halled it home with my daily driver Volvo 850R

large_27211221_mW4B.jpg

large_27211225_CzRN.jpg

Parked in its current location. It drives, brakes are bad, lights all don't work and has some rust holes. As you can see from the pictures the back side panels have been replaced by someone in the past. The inside was covered with "rust proofing" that I now have removed. The original seat is in reabuild, the seat frame is repaired and is waiting for new covers. Needs new seatbelts and a lot of other things.

Here then are some pictures. I'll try to keep this thread updated as I prepare the car for the next event in February.

large_27233501_M53k.jpg

large_27233497_BYMh.jpg

large_27233477_Mxds.jpg

i want your dash bad!!!

started out with getting the original seat to its frame. Here is what it looked like as I got it.

large_27258669_oa6j.jpg

After removing the makeshift cover, I found the original cover underneath. That's going to be the template for the new black seat covers.

large_27258673_J7nS.jpg

large_27258675_ACac.jpg

New cover will be black vinul/Synthetic leather. For the reason of being easy to clean when it gets dirty. Getting in and out of the car during a rally will get mud and other kind of stuff in there.

The frame was cracked and broken in some places. Some springs were broken. A friend of mine welded it all back together now.

Looked around for some rims, but I can only use 185 R14 C tyres on my truck in here. Welcome to the EU for that. So no wide and tall mud tyres for the truck. Need to find 185/70R14C M+S tyres.

Here is a link to last years winter rally pics. I was the navigator in the Alfa Romea Giulitta. We lost a wheel on 35th km of the whole 380km trip. But it back on using construction polts and anchors.

http://album.ee/album/95341/50300619

Hi! All the American guys will be looking at your dash and saying 'wow no cracks!'

If you get stuck on parts its worth asking me, i MAY be able to help as I am bringing some stuff over from USA to England.

Thanks, it good to know.

First need to figure out a bad repaire job on the wiring. Almost everything works, no indication lights at the moment. Have some loose fires, uncovered connectors and so on. It's good that these cars have a simple electric system. Going to open up the harnes and check for bad wires, and replace when needed.

After that the brakes need fixing, pickup doesn't pass MOT, so its going to be some time before it's legal do drive it again.

After some messing around with wires I got my front lights working. Someone had routed the lights trough relays, Some connections where corroded. Cleaned all up and here they are.

Side ones are H4's and the ones in the center are H1's.

Lowbeams

large_27284339_fVF1.jpg

highbeams

large_27284337_GXD2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well this post has nothing to with the Datsun, but just finished Oldtimers Nightrace.

This is the Alfa Romeo that we have used for 4 years now. I'm the navigator/codriver in this one.

large_27315607_VI4q.jpg

Our Alfa suffered a chain brake @ 2/3 of the race. So valves hit the pistons and that was it. Here are some pics. I hope next year I'll be driving my yellow pickup.

Here is the full album of pics I could take. Nighttime and lot to do,so I can't take a lot of pictures.

http://album.ee/album/587773/50315555

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the seat looked like before

large_27383901_lxVD.jpg

This is what it looks like now. Black vinul yellow stitching.

large_27383899_t0wT.jpg

Took the car to a friends house. He has all the equipment I need for working on this car.

large_27383895_mlwS.jpg

Also cleaned out the cars interior for new paint. @ moment soaking it in rust removing/changing chemicals.

large_27383897_uzMO.jpg

• Like 1