With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

You can get a setup like that for about $500 or so...

And Hainz doesnt sugarcoat anything. Hes not being mean to you, hes just being Hainz.

The setup that hainz suggested? or the setup that I was talking to you about? Hainz said it would get done for about $100?

Either way, I still appreciate his help.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hainz option was just springs and a decent set of shocks. Depending on which you choose and if you buy new or not can be had all for very cheap.

The option the Q-Tip suggested can be had for about $500 or so. You mentioned you were looking at spending about $400 on just lowering the car. Qs suggestion lets you lower the car to your desired height, gives you bigger/more relieable brakes, and then if in the future you want to go lower you can lower the car farther. So youre actually getting more for your dollar in the long run.

• Like 1

I agree with q-tip and tristin. That is the best use of your lowering budget for the front end. If you are not in a rush you can probably get that stuff a little cheaper, hit up the junk yards to find a set of 280zx struts with all the brake hardware attached. Try to find some with a recent brake job, maybe newer inserts. There are a few threads on here about using an industrial clamp to hold your spring perch to the strut body, which gives you the same adjustability of a coilover without the added cost. Use the perch, spring, and tophat off your old struts. This option could easily be around 200 with carefull shopping and you have the added safety benefit of bigger brakes.

• Like 1

Yeah because I know the brakes on the 510 aren't exactly safe. I love ratsun. You people help me so much. lol. Thank you. I can get 500 in around 500 weeks so hopefully I'll just spend my income on the newer brakes/lowering the car.

I agree with q-tip and tristin. That is the best use of your lowering budget for the front end. If you are not in a rush you can probably get that stuff a little cheaper, hit up the junk yards to find a set of 280zx struts with all the brake hardware attached. Try to find some with a recent brake job, maybe newer inserts. There are a few threads on here about using an industrial clamp to hold your spring perch to the strut body, which gives you the same adjustability of a coilover without the added cost. Use the perch, spring, and tophat off your old struts. This option could easily be around 200 with carefull shopping and you have the added safety benefit of bigger brakes.

So basically it's a win win situation if I get pair of 280zx front strut assemblies, get some coil over collars with springs and a top hat? All in the 500 price range? Sounds GREAT to me.

Its going to take you 500 weeks to save $500?

Yeah. I get $115 a week from my job so I save $100 towards the car. :( But I already have some money saved it but I keep some for emergencies.

Would I have to change the entire brake drums? Or it'll improve the original brakes?

Yeah. I get $115 a week from my job so I save $100 towards the car. :( But I already have some money saved it but I keep some for emergencies.

Would I have to change the entire brake drums? Or it'll improve the original brakes?

Re-read what we both wrote... 500 weeks for $500. Thats 9.6 years.

510s have front disc brakes with drums only in the rear. When you install 280zxs it includes the front brakes.

(I think he means it will take him 5 weeks to save $500)

LOL. I'm sorry. I meant 5 weeks. Is it difficult to change the disc or is it a job that I should hand to a mechanic?

Datmo

100 bucks and a a few hours your car can be lowered.

This gives us a indication of your ability to understand how things go together. with out blowing your fragile bank account and car can still be driving at the end of the day.

I think it would just be easier and cheaper spending around $500 and get the brakes converted and the car lowered. Two birds with one stone. But then again, you do have a point with me not having a lot of experience.

Im sure if you do a search you could find something where some one installed 280zx struts and took pics of it. It really is just a bolt in swap once you get the coilovers on the struts. Pretty sure that you have to get new brakes lines to the calipers, the rubber ones that go from the car to the caliper, theyre about 10 bucks each. There is all of 5 fasteners holding the strut in, and just 5 more to get the whole job done

I would be cleaner /degreaser/rubbing compound cleaning up the engine bay.

cleaning up thos nasty wires ect.. that dont cost much

see what works ,what doesnt. get intirior put together.

But like you said you diditn want massive camber so I thought some ST springs would work enough and be cheap.

510 brakes are fine if good at least for a stock L motor.

read everything on olddatsuns.com the tech section

I would be cleaner /degreaser/rubbing compound cleaning up the engine bay.

cleaning up thos nasty wires ect.. that dont cost much

see what works ,what doesnt. get intirior put together.

But like you said you diditn want massive camber so I thought some ST springs would work enough and be cheap.

510 brakes are fine if good at least for a stock L motor.

read everything on olddatsuns.com the tech section

Another very good point. That's another thing. I was going to clean my engine bay but then a couple fellas at a car meet told me that I should go to a car wash and do it because using simple green and awesome might ruin my paint and what not. The wiring in my car is absolutely awful. The people I bought it from made it A LOT more complicated than it needed to be but I cut the extract and fitted them correctly. Overall, I think you do have the best option of lowering my car. I do want to build my l16 but until that time comes, I'll of had enough to convert my brakes. Thanks. I finally get off work tomorrow so hopefully I'm going to buy a tent so I can work on my car and I'll take as many pictures as possible. I'll have my brother watch over me to make sure I do the springs correctly as well. I'll show before and after too.

That's the right attitude, tear into it but dont fuck it up

My goal exactly. It'll give me a better feel of my own car too. And if worst comes to worst, I'll only value it more when I repair it. Hate/love car relationship.

I was prepared to purchase some ST suspension when I found nothing that worked on 510's. The springs were also quiet expensive compared to $100. Any springs would fit though, would they not?