With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have a heart of gold and worthy intentions. I'm usually nervous about youngsters owning these cars, but I think you'll do well with it. Just don't get in over your head, enjoy it, and protect it as if it were your child. I think it's a good thing that your parents aren't funding your project; I know it sounds cliche, but you'll value it more. Good for them, and good for you.

I don't think you said whether this will be your daily driver or not, but I hope that you have something else lined up for that.. while you're learning to drive at such a young age, "stuff" just seems to happen. It really does. Whether it's your fault or not, it seems like the younger you are, the more calamity seems to gravitate toward you.

I look forward to watching your progress and seeing this 510 come to life.

Sounds like you have a heart of gold and worthy intentions. I'm usually nervous about youngsters owning these cars, but I think you'll do well with it. Just don't get in over your head, enjoy it, and protect it as if it were your child. I think it's a good thing that your parents aren't funding your project; I know it sounds cliche, but you'll value it more. Good for them, and good for you.

I don't think you said whether this will be your daily driver or not, but I hope that you have something else lined up for that.. while you're learning to drive at such a young age, "stuff" just seems to happen. It really does. Whether it's your fault or not, it seems like the younger you are, the more calamity seems to gravitate toward you.

I look forward to watching your progress and seeing this 510 come to life.

I plan to drive one of the 2 z31's my dad owns as a daily for a little until I'm prepared to take COMPLETE responsibilty. Sometimes it's so nice to look at I never wanna come close to ruining it. But thank you. VERY much appreciated. I plan to go really slow with the car and make it as good as possible. Yeah, it has alot of value to me because I earned it. It has a few parts I'd love to just destroy but I understand how hard parts are to find and such.

Here are all the service manuals and other Datto literature.

i just used this for the head gasket change on my 521..

VERY helpful.

http://community.rat...e-for-download/

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Yeah Futo Fab only has the one style of lip and prices are competitor to anywhere else that may sell it. Customer service is beyond great and he's a member here so I like to support him.

The MKI lip is about $60 or so and you'd have to get it through a place that sells VW accessories.

After looking for awhile, I came to that conclusion. Thanks.Next pay check is probably going to the lip.

Make it stop first go next then look good -]2eDeYe. And in that order

The car runs. The l16 is working perfectly fine. I want to put new brakes and such but engine work is fine.

Yes be very careful with everything you take off that car, alot of 1 year only parts on the 68 510's and parts are definately not easy to get.

I know that. I don't wanna remove anything. I'd rather fix everything rather than getting a new one.

I sound idiotic but I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get into something worse. To lower my car, I'd need springs. I'm not interested in going so low that I need to camber or anything.

You naturally get negative camber when you lower the 510. If at first you only want to lower it a little, then yes lowering springs are what you can do. You can also cut stock springs, or my Dodge D-50 springs and cut those. That should close up some of the wheel gap.

to keep it cheap/simple

I would find some used Supension Techniqe springs and maybe cut a coil if they aint cut already. I was satisfied with them untill I smashed my car then I got coil over for the camber needed to be redone.

Install soem cheap gas shocks Or better yet soem Koni Ds retraction adjustable type.

look in the ad section/calssified or just ask. alot of 510 guys are collectors and have a few of this stuff in back.

You naturally get negative camber when you lower the 510. If at first you only want to lower it a little, then yes lowering springs are what you can do. You can also cut stock springs, or my Dodge D-50 springs and cut those. That should close up some of the wheel gap.

Well I'm planning to to lower it 2-3 inches because my city isn't exactly flat roads....

to keep it cheap/simple

I would find some used Supension Techniqe springs and maybe cut a coil if they aint cut already. I was satisfied with them untill I smashed my car then I got coil over for the camber needed to be redone.

Install soem cheap gas shocks Or better yet soem Koni Ds retraction adjustable type.

look in the ad section/calssified or just ask. alot of 510 guys are collectors and have a few of this stuff in back.

So what are coils exactly? I bought ym car with air shocks but I want to get them removed asap. The adjustable type? I was in the suspension section trying to learn all this but I thought you guys could help me since it is my build thread. Thanks a lot!

I have ST springs in the rear and am happy with them. They work great for the size rims and tires I have.

Well what about the front? My car only has air shocks in the back...

So what are coils exactly?

http://community.rat...kage-coilovers/

Here are front and rear coilovers. Just Google what they are for a better description on how they work.

I was planning to get the first option?

http://www.futofab.c...id=22&Itemid=22

None of the items on that page will lower the front of your car.

• Like 1

http://community.rat...kage-coilovers/

Here are front and rear coilovers. Just Google what they are for a better description on how they work.

None of the items on that page will lower the front of your car.

So I looked into it but would cutting coil overs be a way of lowering the car? I'm still somewhat lost. I don't have a clear definition. I understand that you can just have adjustable coil overs as well. But they must be different for front and rear? Sorry if I bother ya. Just trying to get a clear understanding. If I asked my brother, he would just put me down. lol

Coilovers are adjustable. You just spin basically a large nut and it will lower the car. Fronts are the same as rear... they just connect to the car differently, but function the same. You would not cut coilovers in most cases. The point of coilovers is to replace your stock static (non-moving) ruspension with adjustable pieces. Some will cut coilovers to get even lower, but 98% of the people are happy with just regular coilovers.

• Like 1

Coilovers are adjustable. You just spin basically a large nut and it will lower the car. Fronts are the same as rear... they just connect to the car differently, but function the same. You would not cut coilovers in most cases. The point of coilovers is to replace your stock static (non-moving) ruspension with adjustable pieces. Some will cut coilovers to get even lower, but 98% of the people are happy with just regular coilovers.

Oh! Okay. So from my understandings, the most needed thing to lower your car is the coil overs? They seem to be extremely expensive after looking at the post you showed me though. Although those looked very high quality.

Yes they can be expensive, but they are well worth it for quality pieces. There are far cheaper options though, just to lower a car with no adjustability and such. There are plenty of threads over many sites that already document how to lower a car on the cheap. Your friendly Google will help you out with that.

Yes they can be expensive, but they are well worth it for quality pieces. There are far cheaper options though, just to lower a car with no adjustability and such. There are plenty of threads over many sites that already document how to lower a car on the cheap. Your friendly Google will help you out with that.

I'll look for a topic in the suspension section hoping to find a cheap way. I'm willing to spend $300 - $400 on lowering the car with decent parts and somewhat quality. I've been using Google for most of my problems. Thanks though. Much appreciated!

Datmo

Ok before I give your a slap down, get with your mechanic buddys.

You can get this lowered for about 100$ with soem work and springs.

You got springs up front and in the back. Coild spring. ,Simple.

Jack up the car take photos and will tell you.

coil overs are expensive and need to be thought out. alot esp when using different strut options as this will determine wheel offset options later.

Im telling you this the cheap and simple way. You still should get shocks also but maybe those can be had on the cheap .

since its a 68 strut I assume its the short tube housings. Onw ill use a 280zx catridge and maybe use some spacer on the bottom as the 280zx catridge is to short and need to be built up on the bottom so the glade nut will fit flush.

coilovers can be done after you get better at wrenching on this car.

good coils overs want good shocks also !$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

Datmo

Ok before I give your a slap down, get with your mechanic buddys.

You can get this lowered for about 100$ with soem work and springs.

You got springs up front and in the back. Coild spring. ,Simple.

Jack up the car take photos and will tell you.

coil overs are expensive and need to be thought out. alot esp when using different strut options as this will determine wheel offset options later.

Im telling you this the cheap and simple way. You still should get shocks also but maybe those can be had on the cheap .

since its a 68 strut I assume its the short tube housings. Onw ill use a 280zx catridge and maybe use some spacer on the bottom as the 280zx catridge is to short and need to be built up on the bottom so the glade nut will fit flush.

coilovers can be done after you get better at wrenching on this car.

good coils overs want good shocks also !$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I love how you're so mean to me but you're easy to understand. I'll get pics of the car tomorrow. I've been busy with work and can't bust out the jack. Thanks.

I'll wait on the coil overs and just get springs for now. You're right. I shouldn't do too many things to the car when I don't even know how to do all of it correctly.

find yourself a pair of 280zx front strut assemblies, get some coil over collars with springs and a top hat, you get adjustable suspension and much better brakes up front in one modification.

Yeah but with all that, you didn't use the factor of money.