With only a dime and a dream.

DatMo

My first 510. 1968 4 door l16. I can't post pics until I've acquired a new camera or fixed it. Trust me, I want pictures too.

I've already got some problems. My entire cluster doesn't work.

I'm a noob. My first car. I'm 16. It's my dream car. I don't know how to work on cars but I'm more than ambitious to learn. Any ideas on how I might be able to check the situation with my cluster?

Edit: PICTURESSS

e6986672.jpg

10a56c24.jpg

11525c40.jpg

44c22f88.jpg

09a9a8f6.jpg

e3661907.jpg

a2fc8b80.jpg

450f6ffc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be unplugged. There should be a large, round plug that hooks into the back. Get underneath the dash with a flashlight and see if it's attached or not, and if so, make sure it's pushed in all the way.

this sounds dumb but is there any way you could send a picture because I just found multiple zip ties. My car is pretty screwed in the wiring department and I can't find much. I appreciate the help though.

That looks like the speedo cable to the trans.

That's EXACTLY what I thought but I don't have a jack at them oment to connect it to the trans. A 610 trans would fit smoothly on this, correct? I got a clean 610 trans for $30. Amazing deal.

Nice score bro. Looks clean for it's age. Don't worry about finding help to fix your ride, you've come to the right place, welcome to Ratsun!

wow all these 68's coming out the woodwork! congrats on finding one man.

Thanks guys. REALLY appreciate it. I know. Ratsun has already helped me so far. xD

Do you have a service manual? Haynes or Nissan.

Get one asap and read it front to back, it'll be better than twilight I promise..

I didn't know which to buy because people gave me ideas that some were bad. could you possibly like me or anything to a page I could buy it from?

You can buy either the Chilton or Haynes... there are only a few small errors in the books. They are better than nothing though to start your build. Its not a FSM though so it only gives you a basic start on each section of the car.

It's a start. A first step and I'll be hooked on reading it. I'm sure. A haynes service manual? Do you know price ranges?

Thats a nice car

do thigs slow and go thru us on here on how to do things and not be a Moron trying to think your smarter.

We were all dumb to cars when we were young.

do not buy Bling colorful electronic coils and such. to only break down on side of the road.

key is MONEY patients ,knowledge and good tools .

If you have none of these sell the car now

olddatsuns.com.

1st thing you can do is buy a battery hold down before you short your battery on the hood!!!

put positive terminal towards the back

Thats a nice car

do thigs slow and go thru us on here on how to do things and not be a Moron trying to think your smarter.

We were all dumb to cars when we were young.

do not buy Bling colorful electronic coils and such. to only break down on side of the road.

key is MONEY patients ,knowledge and good tools .

If you have none of these sell the car now

olddatsuns.com.

1st thing you can do is buy a battery hold down before you short your battery on the hood!!!

put positive terminal towards the back

I don't have those things but I'm not willing to sell. I'm asking before every step and ambitious to learn. Knowledge. I work as much as I can and trying to get another job for more money. Income. I have all the patience and my father won't let me drive it until 2 years as a daily. I have multiple mechanics at hand and a garage full of tools.

I've stumbled upon some problems. I've come to find more rust under my rear fenders but the guy I bought the car from has a new paint job on it. Any ideas on what I should do?

I also need new front seats. Any ideas where I could get them? I tried buying carpet off 71dimer but I wasn't given any replies or anything.

Thanks.

go got soem better photos.

I know they was a blu 510 around a few years ago. Maybe this is it getting pushed around.

I wish you were 35 myself with a steady emplyoment. As most 16 yea old driver have about 3 cars by the time they 21years old. Meaning your going to learn how to drive with a calsssic+ smashed soon.

However. Just get this running, if it runs already dont worry about the rust just fix one thing at a time or get rid of stuff that not needed.

as for the rust well its a 35yr old Jap car they rust. Put soem NGK stickers over and Lower it and drive it.

Call it good.

If you really want to fix the rust. Youll have to strip the car down to really know if he just painted over rust or wait a couple years it will bubble thru.

hard surface rust is nothing to worry about. Your in a Low humidity area

I drive a beater and still get thumbs ups.

Your already in a better position than me with a better body 510 & great color.

One thing I have to say there are certain difference with the electrical on 68s. so dont you or your dad just go cutting in to the wires.

Learn how to work on Point distributors or get a Electronic ignition convesion or a later Matchbox ignition. Your reliablilyt will go up.

Never over heat a L motor and take note of oil usuage on old motors.

I see a alam in there. Most just hack into the first power wire they can find.

Another is if hooked dup to the high beam lights w/alarm. Most dont work as supposed to after that.No HIGH BEAMS

have multiple mechanics ???????

dont mean nothing .

go got soem better photos.

I know they was a blu 510 around a few years ago. Maybe this is it getting pushed around.

I wish you were 35 myself with a steady emplyoment. As most 16 yea old driver have about 3 cars by the time they 21years old. Meaning your going to learn how to drive with a calsssic+ smashed soon.

However. Just get this running, if it runs already dont worry about the rust just fix one thing at a time or get rid of stuff that not needed.

as for the rust well its a 35yr old Jap car they rust. Put soem NGK stickers over and Lower it and drive it.

Call it good.

If you really want to fix the rust. Youll have to strip the car down to really know if he just painted over rust or wait a couple years it will bubble thru.

hard surface rust is nothing to worry about. Your in a Low humidity area

I drive a beater and still get thumbs ups.

Your already in a better position than me with a better body 510 & great color.

One thing I have to say there are certain difference with the electrical on 68s. so dont you or your dad just go cutting in to the wires.

Learn how to work on Point distributors or get a Electronic ignition convesion or a later Matchbox ignition. Your reliablilyt will go up.

Never over heat a L motor and take note of oil usuage on old motors.

I see a alam in there. Most just hack into the first power wire they can find.

Another is if hooked dup to the high beam lights w/alarm. Most dont work as supposed to after that.No HIGH BEAMS

have multiple mechanics ???????

dont mean nothing .

My family is a group of mechanics so I'm in good hands. Not to be rude but I don't plan to be stupid with this car. It's obviously a classic. It's something you have to take care of.

I know there will be rust. You could only assume so. I was planning to wait until I found rust breaking the paint and then get an entirely new paint job.

I wish I were 35. I would have a lot more to spend and get her handled with GREAT care.

My service manual is being shipped over. I understand that it is a high maint car. I don't exactly want the stickers and such. I'm going for a clean look. I might get a front lip and put some nice rims. The exterior looks good enough to me.

My first goal is to restore the main parts. I need rear lights, brakes, new suspension, front seats, carpet, and possibly the front lip.

I wanted the small little one that's somewhat of a ramp? I'm not sure of the name but I hope you know what I'm speaking of.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Just understand that I don't want to build the car to show off go around racing. I want to build the car because I honestly enjoy it and love the car. It's a dream car I thought I'd never be able to afford. I just wish my parents gave me some funds.

• Like 2

There are two main lips that look like "ramps." Search the Internet for either a MKI VW Rabbit lip or the BRE lip through Futo Fab. One I those is probably what you're thinking of.

And as requested earlier, please post better pictures. Everyone can get a better idea on the condition of the car if we could see better photos. I'd rather not just see 15 close up shots of unimportant things in the car.

There are two main lips that look like "ramps." Search the Internet for either a MKI VW Rabbit lip or the BRE lip through Futo Fab. One I those is probably what you're thinking of.

And as requested earlier, please post better pictures. Everyone can get a better idea on the condition of the car if we could see better photos. I'd rather not just see 15 close up shots of unimportant things in the car.

I'll post more pics but I have work so give me some time. Sorry about that. I usually don't take pics. I used an ipod. lol.

Are the prices reasonable using futo fab?

Yeah Futo Fab only has the one style of lip and prices are competitor to anywhere else that may sell it. Customer service is beyond great and he's a member here so I like to support him.

The MKI lip is about $60 or so and you'd have to get it through a place that sells VW accessories.

From what I can see it looks like a nice car. Just dont tear anything apart untill you know how you will put it back together, and ask questions if the answer is unclear. Paint doesn't look bad at all. If there is litte rust bubbles please don't grind em out and primer them unless you have ALL the money for the new paint job. Kills me to see a decent car, all one color, get primer patches while the guy "saves" for a new paint job that he cant afford. Not saying you would do that, but I have seen a lot of other 16 year olds do that, including me before I knew any better. ;)