Dropping rear end of a 620

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are TWO popular options on lowering a 620.

One is to use a lowering block between the spring saddle and the leaf that you can buy at Autozone. (Look for lowering blocks)

Second is to find a set of leaf springs from an 80's 720 4x4 pickup. They have less of a spring arch and drop you about 1-2 inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Never remove springs. The most obvious reason is it weakens the spring rate and will bounce further and bottom out easier ... the last thing you need with a lowered vehicle. Next, the spring provides lateral support preventing the body moving sideways on turns. Removing springs lessens this support.

Instead, have the spring's arch removed at a shop. 720 4x4 springs fit are flatter and stiffer too!

Ye

Never remove springs. The most obvious reason is it weakens the spring rate and will bounce further and bottom out easier ... the last thing you need with a lowered vehicle. Next, the spring provides lateral support preventing the body moving sideways on turns. Removing springs lessens this support.

Instead, have the spring's arch removed at a shop. 720 4x4 springs fit are flatter and stiffer too!

Yes i do no this and i also installed air bags for the up and down movement ,we will see how it rides when im through with if hopefully this weekend

• 1 year later...

I bought Belltech blocks.

they come in 1 2 3 inch.

really depends on how much you dropped the front but if you reindexed I assume you want the 3 inch.

partnumber 6202 is the 3in with a 2 deg angle to relieve the carrier bearing so when to low it dont wear it out.

youll put the smaller side foward (angle down)

This fitted perfectly on my 521

Banzai (or anyone in the know),

First off, I apologize for bumping a pretty old thread, but is it better to get the blocks with the 2 degree angle for a 620 also?  Or is it just better in general for anyone lowering a vehicle with blocks to get a set with the 2 degree angle?

No angle is best.

If you get 2° angle blocks, be sure to drop the gearbox mount & cairrier mount down a little to match the 2° angle.

ggzilla,

If I don't have any plans (or knowledge) of dropping the gearbox mount & carrier, would I be better off sticking with just a non-angled block?  The reason I ask is that Banzai510(hainz) says to go with the angled, but you're saying no angle is best.  I only plan on dropping the rear and then figuring out how to adjust the front to match (I've seen a lot of people commenting about adjusting the torsion bars - not familiar with these, but I'm sure it probably isn't too difficult to figure out).

my blocks were theBelltech 6202 3inch 2deg.

I just installed them and everthing is OK.

If you want lower one needs to raise the center carier bearing up a little . Some use washers or a hollow square tube.

Banzai510(hainz) How long have you been running with only putting in the 6202 blocks?  Did you make any other adjustments anywhere?  I'm a little confused with the second part of your reply.  Are you saying that if you want to go lower than a 3 inch drop then you need to raise the center carrier bearing up by using washers or a hollow square tube?

Two degrees is arbitrary at best. What works on one vehicle may not on another.

The last two U joint angles must be the same or as close as possible.

driveline.png

Buy or borrow a drive line angle finder...

image_17440.jpg

Measure the two angles and shim the lowering block at the front to move the differential up at the front and at the back to tilt it down.  I did this and found a 1/8" shim worked on my wagon and what a difference. Two degrees might be close and will feel better but perfect can only be done by measurement.