Photo

datsun 510 (too loud) tickets -___-

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Boaty

Boaty

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Cars:1971 Datsun 510 2DR ---- 1979 Datsun 620 K/C ---- 1971 Datsun 510 Wagon

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Go down to your local exhaust shop and have them install a glass pack/resonator.

It will get rid of all the raspy notes you have, and virtually extinguish off-throttle sound, like downshifting to a stop at higher speeds.
It is the number one improvement I ever made to my 510, and my 620 will get the same treatment.

Since 510's have their mufflers at the end of the pipe (well, stock I believe had two...) then they aren't quite as efficient. I have a Magnaflow and it sounds decent, but it - like almost all other mufflers installed in the end, aren't as efficient as they would be with a few feet of pipe afterwards. The resonator WILL cut down a bit on your top end power, but it's such a negligible difference I find it hard to make it a "con" compared to the Pro of not going deaf on the highway.

It'll make it sound a bit deeper. When you're on-throttle it'll probably still make a bit of sound if you're wide open, but it's a very nice tone. My L20B sounded great, and my KA24DE sounds even better.
At idle my car is virtually quiet. At WOT at higher RPM, it's still loud but it's not deafening.

Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
71 Datsun 510 2DR --- KA24DE/5 speed
79 Datsun 620 K/C --- The damned thing WILL run again!

71 Datsun 510 Wagon - Old L20B had to go somewhere!

#22 ratsun510kid

ratsun510kid

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cars:1971 datsun 510

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

im actually thinking about fighting this ticket the cop did not take pictures of my exhaust and i believe it was just his opinion that its too loud ive past by cops before while stepping on the gas ( still going the speedlimit) and its LOUD i checked my car and its about 88 to 90 db the legal limit is 95 but if not i will just put a glasspack resonator right after like 12 inches past my header. not to worried about a losing power it is my daily driver its funny tho everyone asks if i have a v-8 in there and theyre suprised to hear and see my little l- series 4 banger

#23 ratsun510kid

ratsun510kid

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cars:1971 datsun 510

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

im actually thinking about fighting this ticket the cop did not take pictures of my exhaust and i believe it was just his opinion that its too loud ive past by cops before while stepping on the gas ( still going the speedlimit) and its LOUD i checked my car and its about 88 to 90 db the legal limit is 95 but if not i will just put a glasspack resonator right after like 12 inches past my header. not to worried about a losing power it is my daily driver its funny tho everyone asks if i have a v-8 in there and theyre suprised to hear and see my little l- series 4 banger

#24 Boaty

Boaty

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Cars:1971 Datsun 510 2DR ---- 1979 Datsun 620 K/C ---- 1971 Datsun 510 Wagon

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'd just do the resonator now and avoid the hassle later, honestly. Plus, you'll like it more than what you have right now I'm sure of it. Haha.

And do fight the ticket! A lot of people will just simply walk in and pay, and that's all fine and dandy. But a person has nothing left to lose by showing up in court to fight it, and even if you lose - it's the only chance you have of having it knocked down to a lower fine, or waived entirely. I've had more than my fair share of tickets over the years. Speedracing/Exhibition of speed, unreasonable tire noise, failure to use a turn signal, illegal lane changes, careless driving once!

And I mean over 10 speedracing tickets, btw.

I only lost to 4 in court, and ended up paying a significantly lower fine. The careless driving was waived entirely. Had I just went in an paid it off at the clerks office? I would have likely had an SR22 (high risk driver insurance here in Oregon, not sure what it is in California). The point is, always fight a ticket. Worst case scenario, you end up paying full price anyhow. What's to lose?

Anyways, like I said - go down and get a resonator put it, and never worry about it again. Because now that you've been ticketed once, believe me, it'll happen again. Especially if you win in court. It's just how the circle of traffic court goes.

Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
71 Datsun 510 2DR --- KA24DE/5 speed
79 Datsun 620 K/C --- The damned thing WILL run again!

71 Datsun 510 Wagon - Old L20B had to go somewhere!

#25 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

why didnt you take a photo of the muffler?????????
Looks like a typical go faster type big can , straight thru type.

You can do 2 things:
put a resonator in the middle. but this will take up some space and maybe ground clearance issues.
stock 510s had this but of coarse it wasnt a 2in inlet/outlet.

or just replace the muffler in back with a Turbo style 2 or 3 chamber muffler. get the smallest case size possible to fit the stock location so looks like a stock muffler.
Dynomax super turbo
cherrybomb turbo 2 (cheap)
Thrush Turbo are example

Im sure a hanger set up will be needed

everyone asks if i have a v-8 in there????
They know its not a V8 in there. They just playing /laughin at you

Be honest you got a nice set up there. Maybe to much for a downdraftt L motor just needs a quieter muffler. You might gain more torq !!!!!!!!!

save your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#26 831Sunny

831Sunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cars:1200 Fastback

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

like boaty said you have a chance of lowering the cost and if you are lucky the cop will not show up and if you can prove the 88 to 90, you can surely win

#27 braden72

braden72

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cars:1972 240Z, 2003 pathfinder, 1973 mgb midget

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

test pipe maybe?

#28 jpw74

jpw74

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cars:1974 Datsun Pickup

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

cool car

#29 tr8er

tr8er

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,908 posts
  • Cars:'71 PL510; 01 Frontier 4X4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just tape a big ass coffee can to the back of the tailpipe and blaze by the police station blasting NWA!  

Oooooor, do the 2ZRFXE swap.  I guarantee that cop will forgive the ticket.  

#30 O.D.D.

O.D.D.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Cars:'72 - 510, '77 - 710 Wa-Goon, '75 - 710 2 door SEDAN

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Best way to fight a ticket and win?  DO NOT "WAIVE TIME" FOR TRIAL at the arraignment. Make the court give you the first available date, not the last. 

most people think its great to postpone the trial date so postpone payment etc... not worth it. 

Budgets and understaffing etc, do not allow for overtime expenditures... if the officer is already scheduled to be on beat, or have the day off... there is little chance he will be in court. The cost is greater than the revenue. 

This works very well when ticketed by a city cop. This is not true for CHP... they will almost always show up no matter what...State budget paid, not local. 

(lets just say... I know someone.... who has used this method successfully 3x) 

The thing is - i am pretty sure that if you got a FIX IT TICKET not a NOISE VIOLATION you cannot fight your ticket.  

-------------------------------------------------

I have hi comp L20B  with dual SUs  - used to have single weber (gag me) 

MY EXHAUST =   MANIFOLD > 2.5in pipe > 10" GLASSPACK > Magnaflow 2500 turbo muff>   never been pulled for noise - I carry earplugs in the car. 

I had a 2nd 510 a few years back with a L16  and a weber 32-36 carb, header, and straight pipe to a borla muffler.... that was louder than my L20b setup NOTICEABLY. 

Had a Choppy "bees in a can" sound

Header Vs manifold  - big diff in sound. (mani is nice thick cast iron.) they flow fine until large cams and carbs get involved, and would maybe even add some low end torque in trade for top end pull... more usable for a street car... feels faster and pulls away from a light much better.  small weight penalty...not as prone to exhaust leaks tho. 

complete solution?

sidedrafts of any sort + mani + 2in pipe + 8-10inch glasspack + nondouche muffler of any type  =  superior performance and quieter car.

(which will sound awesome, fear not)

Cheap solution

Glasspack and and muffler relocation/replacement. (cheap is fine but get a real muffler no "pass thru" fartcan crap) 

If it comes to an actual DB test, get a tip to point the outlet down, or up, or anywhere other than at the sound sensor.

racecars @ laguna seca all point tailpipe to the left (?) because there is a 100 DBA limit and the sensor is on the right side of the track somewhere... nearby housing complains. 

like 3 major events are exempt, but all others track time is restricted. 

"....He Drove a DATSUN, an automatic....the Radio a Blarin' static...." Lyrics from Over the Electric Grapevine - PRIMUS

#31 M240Z

M240Z

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Cars:240z 240sx

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Ive seen a video on youtube where a guy shoved some steel wool down his exhaust pipe and it made it quiet enoug to get his ticket signed off...sounds pretty ghetto but might work.haha

#32 danfiveten

danfiveten

7 pm curfew

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • Cars:71 510 4 door, 02 g20, 73 610 wagon, 72 preserved 510, and 95 pathfinder

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Fuck mines loud and tough with the magna flow and no tickets still. Not for 20 Years. People always say they love how my purple car sounds. And man this is a old thread.

DATSUN POLICE BITCH!!!!!

ARTHUR HUGHES 5 January 1932 - 14 December 2012 RIP, you will always be in my thoughts.

#33 505plus5

505plus5

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Cars:1978 280Z, Russian Lada 1500 Station Wagon

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

fixed that for you.....

Lol!!! That HOODY was the first thing I thought about when I saw a close up of it. Not the image on it, but the ALIGNMENT. LOL

Your HOOD alignment may be the real reason for the tix! Lol

J/k

#34 Pacific coast Datsun

Pacific coast Datsun

Japanese trucking association

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts
  • Cars:76 Conqueror "Datsun powered" jet boat -73 PL 620 - 74 PL 620 - 94 D-21

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Must be. California "law enforcement " officer bored out of his gord !!

85 720--74 pl 620--94 D 21-- 64 L 320 [co-owner]--74 sundance 16 jet boat [L 20 powered]
Member- *Japanese trucking association*
*Southwest Datsun pickups*
http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com/
HBbedgif.gif