What I'm working with!

uberkevin

Was able to upload photos to Instagram, from there it makes a duplicate in a folder on my phone that compresses the photo. 

Like I said some odd things done to this truck. 

I'm working on getting a different dizzy setup.. I have the pertronix unit but only have an L20b distributor so that won't work without some machine shop work.  So if anyone has a single points L dizzy they wanna ship my way that would help. 

I was able to grab a exhaust manifold from l18 74 710 today so that takes care of the shit L20b exhaust manifold. Today it had a dual points distributor. 

I also have a cannon intake manifold with a, I believe a Redline carburetor ready to bolt on. 

There was gas everywhere! When I was taking the manifolds off. 

Looks like it was wired with a hot wire going to the carb at all time. Not sure what that is about. But it was definitely getting to much gas. 

Like I'd said I was able to start and drive this thing so my guess is burnt points or clugged up spark plugs.. or just Datsun shit lol. 🤷 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Draker said:

Those motor mounts. Lol. I mean it worked I guess.

IMG_20221114_180126_979.thumb.jpg.3e50e7d6da6a776a9977e68f6b944cc6.jpg

First thing I noticed. Why is the left side not more centered on the frame pad????

IMG_20221114_180101_823.thumb.jpg.c457d463e664a9cdd948b9f2b01c10ea.jpg

Speedometer on the right, it's a 71B

The L20B exhaust is 4 into 1 with a single larger down pipe. The later L16/18 exhaust manifold is 4 into 2 so you'll need to get a two hole flange and join the two as part of the down pipe. Something like this...

otASYRV.jpg

Or cut the down pipe from a 521/510 or a '73 610 or '74 710. These are the only Datsuns with it. I had to make mine above. Perhaps you got it with the manifold??

20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Speedometer on the right, it's a 71B

The L20B exhaust is 4 into 1 with a single larger down pipe. The later L16/18 exhaust manifold is 4 into 2 so you'll need to get a two hole flange and join the two as part of the down pipe. Something like this...

otASYRV.jpg

Or cut the down pipe from a 521/510 or a '73 610 or '74 710. These are the only Datsuns with it. I had to make mine above. Perhaps you got it with the manifold??

SpeedO doesn't work. 

By the luck of the datsun gods I was able to grab a manifold that will definitely work of a 74 710 l18. 

No luck finding a l16 distributor. 

Think of just hitting rockauto for an eletric distributor plus coil.. 

What like 80s 200sx if I remember correctly.. 🤔 

I hear the matchboxs are spendy now. 

Or like hainz sat.. take the shaft out of my l20b dizzy and get it milled down to fit the pertronix round magnet. 

Another option would be to take the distributor out of the l18 710 I grabbed the exhaust manifold off and uses its shaft cuz it's duel points.. bit the shaft could! Could be the same as the l16s. 

Seem like spending the money on a new electric one would be the best bet at this point. 

Unless I find an l16 distributor. Plus pedestal. 

Flatcat did say he had a HEI maybe he'll let go of that for the right price.. 

Never wired in the HEI distributor. 

Talk to Hainz. I think only single points shafts are small enough.

HEI is the GM module for their electronic ignition distributors. If your remote igniter or matchbox is missing from your EI distributor,  you can use the HEI from a GM distributor to replace the module. That's probably what he meant.

New 'to me' exhaust manifold bolted on. 

Had this cannon/weber combo laying around from years ago. 

Been pretty busy, ya know before Thanksgiving an all. Wanted to go shooting with Flatcat.. just got to busy.. and then the freezing rain cam.. 

I was able to find a l16 distributor... on ebay.. FOR 80$$!!! WTF! 

So I'm waiting on that now so I can drop my pertronix unit into that to get her running again.. 

I think after I get her running again. I'll pull the motor.. fix the engine mounts and get the l20b back where it should be.. 

This will mean I'll need a new driveline and new transmission mount.. if! I stay with this 4 speed.. 

There's a few 720s around me that I should be able to grab their 5 speed from. Swap front cases and bam! 5speed 521.. but nothing goes as planned.. 

IMG_20221122_151812_660.thumb.jpg.58900c29e32952e2f71785fb190f4dd9.jpg

• Like 1

Only question I have is 

The pipe circled in blue... 

Cap off?? 

Run to valve cover? 

I think normally it would go to a 620 brake booster.. I think but not sure. 

OH and does anyone have an extra OEM Datsun fuel pump? 

Honestly thought I'd have one but can't seem to find it.  

IMG_20221122_160256_784.thumb.jpg.fe1001da0d13dab5a23fadfc03125353.jpg

Edited by uberkevin

cap the intake or that line.  I would cap it at the manifold

I hope the L16 dist is a single point. most were 68-69 model year only or on the import motors that were brought in the 80 early 90s and soem were Mishibishi ones which the Pertronix fit in also.

I have  seen people use the GM modules for the first gen EI distributors and I seen people replace tha matchbox also using the GM module by just running a pair of wires out to the GM. Remove the black box. But havent done it myself.  remember distributor needs the matching pedastal

521 fuel pump just has the intake line coming in from a different way.

rockauto or Partsgeek has the chinese clones even Amazon had them  or keep what you got. the org Koyo ones are hard to get know I got one spare left.

I caught this thread late I guess. Motor mount look funky not a 521 I can see. Either person didn not use the 521 oil pan and adjusted for that to clear the steering bar.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The distributor coming is a single points. 

Will plug the pipe at manifold. 

Looks like 620 mounts on driver said. 

IMG_20221114_180126_979.thumb.jpg.f7ffa12aa9cc63f6815abb0b52d9755a.jpg

Maybe 521 on passenger side maybe 620..

I'll have to check. 

IMG_20221114_180044_039.thumb.jpg.7666f0cc1a719fa334df09bc5cadde51.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have another set of 521 rubber mounts. 

Hope I have the 521 metal block mounts. 

As far as the oil pan goes..  it some how looks like it will be in the way??? If the block is mounted in the right spot. 

As far as I know the l20b in there came from a 75 620. So idk if the oil pan from the 620 and 521 are the same or what?? 

Not the rubber. Both are off set to the rear.

Though the 521 and the 620 are very similar the oil pans are not the same part number or shape.

Fan could be more forward in the shroud and the valve cover is awefully close to the fire wall.

IMG_20221122_151812_660.thumb.jpg.58900c29e32952e2f71785fb190f4dd9.jpg

This is a  custom 71B transmission mount...

mOxyGS4.jpg

This one is also farther back. I would plasma cut that hanging down part.

I knew I had my first l16 block on the side of my house. 

This block was in my other 521 when I first bought it. But the p.o didn't have it together. Loose head bolts, exhaust manifold only partly bolted on and all sorts of shit. 

I had the best luck back then and my neighbors farm truck the 'beer truck' just so happen to be a 521 with a crate motor from Japan in it that had low low miles. With! A87 head! The luck! I had no clue it was there when I got my first 521 11 or so years ago. So  i swapped the l16s out for one another and took some parts off the beer truck and ran it tell I built my first motor.. the l18..

This is the shit l16 block that just so happens to have the oil pan and block mounts still. 

IMG_20221122_181547_869.thumb.jpg.a49a19f428ffcf48893263ea13368ee9.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, uberkevin said:

So.. I also hope I have 521 oil pan. Cuz once i move the motor to the original spot the oil pan will be in the way of the steering. 

Great.. 

If this is together and working don't fuck with it and move to the correct position or the driveshaft will be too short. If it works like that leave it alone. I was only wondering why it is the way it is.

YES 521 AND 620 PANS ARE DIFFERENT

you need to oil pick up tube also. Bet to mark everything so yuou dont get confused later whatt is what

love those blue colored 521s  I say they the best. also red is cool

just remember 521 Body/ brake parts are SAE size the L motor is metric(except the oil sender is 1/8BPT on all L motors) when the 620 came out its all METRIC after that. Dont mix bolts up

I bet Ted in Oylmpia has a 521 oil pan if needed

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
41 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I'll swap ya one of those plentiful 720 5-speeds for a nice new mount lol 

If there are two 720 5 speeds near me I'll grab it for you if you really want. 

I'll keep you posted. 

I'm going back to the yard when I can to also look into what transmission this 74 710 wagon has. 

But also!! 

Have you seen this? 

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/drivetrainfs5w71c/l-series-bellhousing-for-240sx-5-speed-swap

• Like 2