3.0L V6 L320

Datguy

I got my Nissan VG30 with automatic transmission installed today. Everything lined up great. Tons of stuff to still figure out, but only a couple of them are really difficult.

Radiator/Fan (stock Hardbody will fit)

Alternator (using mini 4" diameter one, and fab bracket)

Driveline (using stock hardbody driveline, shorted, with bracket to transition to axle)

Using carb with custom made adapter

Need to fab new tunnel and adjust bench seat for a little higher sit

Need to wire tranny control box

Custom headers

Need to get a new distributor because the stock one is electronic and I need vac advance. This one I have no clue about yet. There doesn't seem to be many options out there. If anyone has an idea, send it my way.

It's wierd, I can do this engine/transmission upgrade, but I can't figure out how to post pictures on this site. Lol. I'll get them on photo bucket and put a link here soon.

140 horse with 4.87 gears, should do an awesome burnout.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to get a new distributor because the stock one is electronic and I need vac advance. This one I have no clue about yet. There doesn't seem to be many options out there. If anyone has an idea, send it my way.

I just sent you a PM with some info that my husband had with a potential contact or two for sourcing this.

Good luck, and congrats on getting it all stuffed in there! :w00t:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I went over and looked at this today, I was impressed, that engine actually looks like it belongs in there.

It is not done yet though, the exhaust is going to be interesting to see when done.

I could hardly beleave how much room there was in back of the engine compartment(between it and the firewall) even with the radiator in the front where it is supposed to be(unexpected), it made me think I need to re-measure my VG30 engine again. :rofl:

• Like 1

I went over and looked at this today, I was impressed, that engine actually looks like it belongs in there.

It is not done yet though, the exhaust is going to be interesting to see when done.

I could hardly beleave how much room there was in back of the engine compartment(between it and the firewall) even with the radiator in the front where it is supposed to be(unexpected), it made me think I need to re-measure my VG30 engine again. :rofl:

Wayno thanks for the pictures,that is awesome,if that fit in there then a LS2 can fit in mine.haha
  • 4 weeks later...

Couple more problems are solved. I found a Chevy HEI distributor that has been machined to fit the VG30, so I don't have to try and wire in the computer. Good grief, that was going to be a big project. The first two radiators did not work, so I finally got a Northern universal to work. I'll put a new picture of it when I get it fully installed.

Exhaust is next. I flipped the passenger side manifold, and with a small mod, it clears the steering column on the drivers side. The flange is forward facing, so the exhaust will be crazy, as Wayno pointed out above.

Battery is mounted in the bed. I added a 100amp fuse just because the extra long battery cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally some good progress. Three radiators and four fans later, the cooling system is complete. I used a custom radiator and a super thin pusher fan. The upper radiator hose looks goofy, but there's no other way to route it. The exhaust is complete to the back of the front fender, and should be easy to finish on my next day off. The carburetor adapter worked excellent; however, the throttle cable is in a tight space, so I need a new one that can handle the sharp corners. I installed my custom Chevy distributor, and it fits with just a little modification to the timing belt cover.

There are a lot of little things to finish up, but I'm hoping to start it in a few weeks.

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h389/poundurfacein/V6%20project/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally completed this project. V6 with automatic is in and running. Runs about 3000 rpm at 60mph with stock axles. I was surprised by that. Tons of issues to overcome, mostly the dizzy. I went through five different modifications before discovering that the Nissan was turning the opposite direction as the GM and Dodge dizzys I adapted for use. I ended up using a late slant 6 dizzy with no mechanical or vacuum advance and installed an MSD controller for the spark. Expensive and difficult, but it worked.

The cooling was another difficulty. If I can figure out how to post pics, you'll see there isn't any room for a clean cooling setup. Big aftermarket radiator with a pusher fan, and crazy routed hoses. Used a heater core out of a roadster because the stock one wouldn't work with the huge automatic transmission.

Used a B&M silver shifter and a homemade tunnel cover. Raised the stock seat 2 inches, and it just clears.

Exhaust was difficult. I had to use two passenger side manifolds. The one on the drivers side dumps out the front of the motor and I had to route the exhaust pipes around the front to the back.

With lots of help from the guys down at Line Up Sound Off in downtown Vancouver, its done and driving. I hope to bring it to Blue Lake this year.