ATP Short Throw Shifter Review

Duke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I got one of Andrews shifters. It is definitely one of the most well thought out shifters on the market. 

The manufacturing is top notch. I am in the middle of putting a sr20 into my 521, so it will be a while until

I get to drive with the shifter. I am really happy with it and know I am going to love it in the long run. I will update 

my review when I get to drive with it.  Andrew really is the man for making this shifter.

Freekwonder: All you have to do is unbolt those to allen bolts on the main baseplate and the entire shifter pulls right out. It was designed with the intention or anyone, whether with advanced mechanical skills or novice, could install by themselves. The hardest part is making the provisions to the floor to make the shifter fit properly. Install....or UN-install is extremely easy. 

I plan to continue making these as people want them. All the hard work is done on it, and it isn't too difficult to run another batch when I run out of the supplies I now have. I have both versions available to purchase right now, either with the billet knob or with just the stock SR thread design so you can install your own knob. I assemble them on order though, so it takes a day or two after money is sent for me to get them sent out. I have a couple people that have expressed interest and want to purchase but haven't yet. I currently have supplies for 3-4 right now (depending on the design you want), but am waiting on more sticks to be made so once those 3-4 are gone they will be on hold again until I get more of the sticks in. 

This shifter is NOT for everyone, the price alone puts many out of the market, which I knew from the beginning. The market I target are those that race often, or really value the feel of a racecar for their daily driver or weekend cruiser. They don't care what it costs for that benefit and require that it functions 100% of the time as it was designed, because it is used hard. So far it seems to be living up to those expectations, and those who have purchased tend to feel its some of the best money they have spent on their cars. I believe its simply because of how much the shifter is used, and because of that how much the feel of the car changes with my shifter. 

I tell everyone who has bought a shifter from me the same thing. "If you do not like it after you install it, I will refund you all of your money if the shifter is returned in the exact conditions it was sent." You simply pay for the shipping to send it back. Once I get the shifter I will inspect it and if it is in the same condition as I sent it, I will refund ALL of the money you paid for it minus the shipping costs that were included in the total price. No restocking fees or anything like that. I also tell everyone who buys that if something breaks on it, or malfunctions, I will send them a brand new shifter, they pull off the broken one and send it back to me....that's it. The shifter is sent fully assembled, I simply ask that it does not get disassembled as it is assembled in a very specific manner with specific torque specs. If something failed I need to see what and how it happened so I can determine if something needs to be revised in the design or parts. I will warrantee anything that fails, just don't try to fix it yourself, contact me and I'll send you a new one. So far I have not had anyone ask to send it back or call about something broken, and that is because of how its built. I can confidently say there is nothing on the market like my shifter, not in design, throw, parts quality, or finish, and if something shows up, its a copy of mine. I hope more people want to buy, but the satisfaction of creating something that even just a few people appreciate has been awesome!

I really appreciate all the positive words I have gotten about it. I hope to have something for the B trans at a later date, but it'll probably be a while still. 

Andrew Peterson

Andrew's Tuning and Performance

• Like 2

Really need to save the money for one of these.

On a unrelated side note, how hard is it to remove the shifter if you wanted to? Like say if you wanted to remove a shifter from a unspecific yellow 4 door 510, while the owner was distracted.

Hhmmmmm......maybe if you want a few new holes to not be breathing thru.....:lol:

• 8 months later...

It has been a while since this thread has seen any action. I had a couple months where I was again out of stock on some parts to make shifters. However I have all the big parts back in stock and can have a shifter shipped out within a week if people are interested. I assemble these shifters on a per order basis because the internal parts are so expensive, so I do not keep the internal parts in stock all the time. The internal hardware is delivered within 2-3 days though, and assembly and shipping can typically be done same day. PM me if you are interested in purchasing a shifter or just want more info on it.

Andrew Peterson

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, 

Im in Australia and building a Datto 1600 Gravel rally car with a NA SR and close ratio RB box. Im hoping to get my hands on one of Andrews 

gear shifters. Ive tried the email address provided though with no response.

Does anyone know if Andrew is still fabricating these fantastic units?

Thanks,

Rick Knight.

rickoknight@hotmail.com

I sent Rick an email and PM this morning. Been sick the last week....seems like its really been going around lately! 

Datzenmike, I have had a lot of people comment on the shifter, but I don't think "interesting" is something I have heard before. Not quite what you would want in your own vehicle? Maybe too much aluminum? Its definitely not for everyone. 

Andrew Peterson

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had some people contact me in the last couple months about shifters. I have been out of stock on the billet knob sticks, and a couple weeks ago ran out of stock on the stock style shifter. However, I have a new shipment of sticks coming in the first of next week and will have more ready and available. I also am offering the billet knob style with a delrin knob that is identical to the billet knob. I have one of those going out next week and will take pictures and post them up for anyone interested.

You can PM me, or email me at Ap67et10@gmail.com.

The last few months have been insane for me, so if you contacted me and I didn't get back to you, please contact me again and I can get you set up with whatever you are looking for.

Andrew Peterson

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent out a Delrin knob shifter today. They are the same style and price as the Billet knob. You just have to tell me which you would like. I have everything in stock again, so PM or email me if you are interested. 

21851893776_375cda9240_c.jpg

Andrew Peterson 

• Like 2