ATP Short Throw Shifter Review

Duke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no plans for an FS5W71B shifter? 

The B shifter is quite a bit different. It doesn't function the same and needs to be redesigned to make it work like I would want it to. However if there were more people that showed some interest, and would like a very high quality shifter for that B trans with the willingness to pay around a similar price as the C trans shifter I make then I might be willing to looking into it further for a possible design. I do have a B trans sitting on my shop floor, but I'd need to know there is real interest in something like this. It would not be some cheap short shifter, it would be the highest quality piece available  just like the shifter you see in the pictures above. I don't make crap, and have no interest in making something mediocre. If I'm going to do it, it will be the best there is.  

Andrew Peterson

• Like 3
I, for one, would be interested. My 510 is a long way from being track-ready, but I would be willing to pay for one and help out with the prototyping process, if required. 

I guess starting a thread may be worthwhile to try to gauge what kind of interest there might be in something like this? It's probably difficult to get any real feedback in the review thread. I already have a couple ideas on implementing a very short throw for both the X and Y axis on the B trans, its much more difficult since there is only a fulcrum for one axis, but its doable to shorten both...again, its just probably not going to be cheap.  

Andrew Peterson 

• 4 months later...

Been a while, but I've been busy on this project. I have had lots of people ask about buying one. I have a list, but if you are interested feel free to contact me because i am finally now getting to where I will have a nice supply of shifters ready for people that want one. Little progress picture I got from my machinist doing some of the brackets!

Andrew Peterson

photo_zps8116ec8e.png?t=1373789811

• 2 weeks later...

I made a couple small changes (cosmetic mainly) to the shifter. Now I can say I have a final product. I am also doing some checking into a shifter similar to this for all you B series transmission guys. Due to the changes I made I wanted a test piece first so I have just this one until probably next week or so when the rest of the parts will come in. I will then have 2 more immediately ready with the stock SR knob threads. And I will have 3 ready with the billet knob if someone wants that. After those ill have another batch of probably 5-6 both in billet knob form and standard SR knob form. Contact me if you are interested. Now for the pictures.

Andrew Peterson

Andrew's Tuning and Performance

I made a couple small changes (cosmetic mainly) to the shifter. Now I can say I have a final product. I am also doing some checking into a shifter similar to this for all you B series transmission guys. Due to the changes I made I wanted a test piece first so I have just this one until probably next week or so when the rest of the parts will come in. I will then have 2 more immediately ready with the stock SR knob threads. And I will have 3 ready with the billet knob if someone wants that. After those ill have another batch of probably 5-6 both in billet knob form and standard SR knob form. Contact me if you are interested. Now for the pictures.

Andrew Peterson

The B series transmission is a challenging one to make a short throw for, as the left right motion throw is static inside the tail housing.  I look forward to see how you're going to make something work.

Stock 240z would be the B series transmission. As I have stated I am currently looking at designing a shifter for the B series transmission. It is significantly more difficult for the reasons mentioned about side to side movement. I'm getting more and more interest in a B series shifter but because of the difficulties related to the design, a shifter that functions as my C series shifter does would cost significantly more. I'm not positive on cost yet as I'm still figuring out the design. However I would not be surprised to see a price tag in the $500-600 range. If I make something it will function like no shifter on the market. The side to side motion would be proportional to the gear engagement throws. It would be full billet, tall stick, and very short throw, likely in the 1" range from neutral, like my C series shifter.

The process of designing something like this could take many months, but I am willing to figure it out if people really want it. Keep in mind this will have a large price tag. I'm trying to gauge true interest from people that would be in line for one at those prices. I will start a new thread about it also.

Andrew Peterson

• 2 weeks later...
For those interested, I have the newest design in stock, ready to assemble for shipment. I have about 3 ready to go, so if you want one let me know right away as I have also contacted people from the list I began making of those interested when I had a new supply available. This is the final design, there were a few cosmetic changes made for the big run of shifters I have now and this is the finished product.

I have 2 versions, the stock SR threads (which allow you to personalize the feel with your own knob) like what is pictured below, and I also have the billet knob shifter like dukes first pictures. At this time however I do not have those in stock. I will in about 1 week if people are interested in the billet knob shifter. Contact me through PM or email at ap67et10@gmail.com

Thanks,

Andrew Peterson 

photo_zpsbe5a2bbe.jpg

photo_zpsdf1972eb.jpg

photo_zps4bfb4259.jpg

this is what i started with

DSCN0048.jpg

this is the modified transmission tunnel

IMG_20130806_182334_862_zps0bbd23ad.jpg

close up of tunnel from the top

IMG_20130806_193657_591_zpsc1160527.jpg

shifter installed

IMG_20130806_182845_069_zpsa6ed64fb.jpg

my custom G3 pistol grip shifter, going to change it thought, doesnt quite feel right

IMG_20130806_193619_018_zps14b188db.jpg

i found out this is the easiet way to remove the stock shift boot...

IMG_20130806_183351_768_zps758416e0.jpg

one whole day of driving with this setup, still awesome!!

I take it you are going to keep the shifter....considering your original may come up a little short now! Glad to see you like it.

Andrew Peterson

Haha indeed sir, it is taking some getting used to, I can barely tell what gear I'm in half the time. Need to develope the muscle memory for it

Yes, everybody that has switched to my shifter has said the same thing. It does take a little getting used to. It's a good thing practicing is so much fun! In about a week you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

Andrew Peterson

• Like 1

Yeah I still occasionally find myself trying to leave a stop sign in 3rd lol. 

Yesterday I noticed that the shifter had come loose (I neglected to chase the threads or use loctite during the initial installation).  I made sure to do both upon re-install and look forward to bangin' some gears this weekend!

Andrew the refinements look great, nice detailing on the logo and countersunk mounting bolts look sweet too.

Thanks again for an excellent quality product. 

• Like 1

Yeah I still occasionally find myself trying to leave a stop sign in 3rd lol. 

Yesterday I noticed that the shifter had come loose (I neglected to chase the threads or use loctite during the initial installation).  I made sure to do both upon re-install and look forward to bangin' some gears this weekend!

Andrew the refinements look great, nice detailing on the logo and countersunk mounting bolts look sweet too.

Thanks again for an excellent quality product. 

:no:  Someone didn't follow the directions.... Because of the amount of heat, vibration, and stress on those mounting bolts you must use loctite on the threads. And with all the C transmissions I have found, those threads tend to get gummed up with gear oil and such over time causing torque issues if the threads aren't chased. Without a doubt those bolts will back out if you don't torque them to the specs I listed after cleaning the threads and adding loctite. 

Also, I sent a message to Duke, but hadn't sent one to you yet. I will replace your current shifter with the newest, final style if you want. I'll send you PM on details and if you are interested.

Andrew Peterson