Top speed on your STOCK engine

Jdm720

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive burried the speedo in my 720 right before the hwy4 bend, hit a bump that threw me sideways, by the time i got straight my speedo was at 100. dont know how fast i actualy hit but geuss 110 or 115 and had more to go. z24, holley 350cfm, self made header, 2 1/2" pipe, only running 4 plugs, now i wanna try with the new cam and all 8 plugs and gps.

hmm, so I would expect something like 70 - 75 out ot 620 J15 4 speed?.

Where thinking about this with a friend of mine one day. Main thing, dould it do 90km/h -100km/h for 100km straigth? And what RPM would the engine be at?.

I don't need to go fast in my datsun I have my R - for that (255km/h topspeed)

Quite a long time ago when I had a R16 in my roadster, I pushed it to red line in 4th gear, it was all the car had, I figure it was doing 100 to 105mph which is what the top speed was supposed to be for that model.

Later in the late 90s, I bought a 68 with a U20 in it and transferred the whole drive train over to the early 67, one day while driving over snoqualmie  pass before Cle elum on flat ground, as this mini van and me had been 90+ as we seemed to be the only ones on the road, I decided to let the mini van know the reason they were ahead of me was that I didn't want the ticket, so I passed them like they were standing still to show them of course, that is when I thought the world was coming to an end, every piece of dirt in that car went airborne, it got in my eyes and I was having trouble seeing the road, I let off the pedal, and that mini van went by me like I was standing still, I thought I lost the transmission or driveline, the noise was horrific, at about 70/80mph all the noise went away, I gave it some gas pedal and everything seemed fine, I pulled over anyway looking for transmission fluid on the ground, but everything seemed fine, I had no idea what happened.

A couple years later going really fast it did the same thing, this time I got under the car to see what was going on, as it turns out, the driveline near the tail of the transmission has this corrugated piece of rubber that is blowing up like a balloon at high speeds and hitting the tunnel sides, this whole car could have flew apart, as the driveline could have just as easily destroyed itself and or the transmission tail shaft, I got lucky twice, I have never went that fast since.

It's probably better to leave the high speed stuff on a track, the ambulance is closer.

There is also the fact that you can lose your license and go to jail these days, they are really negative about  driving that fast anymore, the ones that get caught make the 11 oclock news.

• Like 1

found broken throttle linkage on the 521 wasnt using the secondary.....new throttle cam arm and now its cuz racecar l16......i hit 85 easy after not being able to hold 70 for the last year......but now the broken exhaust manifold gets so noisy that i had to let off at 85..... she had at least 87 in her on the flats ... i know it :rofl:

Got my 190E up to 120, and I got the 510 to 65 today with the three speed 

Once I was going 120-130ish around 3am in my 300E, and this newer Audi passed me.. Well kinda just flew by me...

Must have been going at least 150+.. I let off the gas a little, and got off on my exit......

Once I was going 120-130ish around 3am in my 300E, and this newer Audi passed me.. Well kinda just flew by me...

Must have been going at least 150+.. I let off the gas a little, and got off on my exit......

Lol I never see anyone speed anymore. I'm usually the fastest one on the freeway, and I mean that in the least douchebag way possible. 

Lol I never see anyone speed anymore. I'm usually the fastest one on the freeway, and I mean that in the least douchebag way possible. 

I see people speeding all the time around here.. And I think, "damn assholes need to slow down..."

But then again, I only think that when I'm cruising with traffic in the 720..

Any other car and I suppose I'm that asshole  :rofl:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did 70 in my '85 720 this weekend-- it was a loud ride thanks to the muffler, but the engine settled at 2750 rpms and seemed perfectly happy to do it.

Oh, and I had two old-ass Vespas in the back, so she had a few hundred extra pounds to deal with.

I just did the speedo the other day in my 85 720 base model short cab/bed with the stock 3.70 gears.  Had the needle touching the trip reset button and tach was showing about 4600ish rpms in 5th, about 110-113mph on I-85.  New Weber 32/36, complete tune-up (timing, fuel filters, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, valve lash, oil and filter, trans and diff oils), Pacesetter 4-1 header with crappy fart can exhaust from the p.o. that terminates before the axle. 

The speedo died about an hour later, the teeth on the speedo pinion gear shredded off. :no:   I think I had the speedo pegged on the trip reset button too long, about 3 minutes.  Only backed off as the water temp slowly started creeping up a little above the middle.

My old 91 SE-R, 141 mph on I-10 in Florida following an RSX Type S.

My old 93 NX2000, 136 mph, bone stock, down hill.

My old 92 Eclipse GS-X, 155 mph hitting rev limit in 5th, roll racing a turboed '00 Camaro SS.

My old 91 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD, 132mph, hitting rev limiter in 5th gear on I-20 outside of Birmingham.  Stupid short 4.31 final drive gearing, close ratio 5-speed, and rev limit is 7300 rpm.

My daily 94 Sentra LE 5-speed with the GA16DE, 118 mph hitting the factory speed limiter.

My 86 300ZX Turbo, with the factory 3.54 gears and '87 spec turbo trans (higher 5th ratio), hitting 125 mph and only about 3900 rpms.  Fuel cut is 6700 rpm.  Anything above 125 mph and the hood starts to flutter badly.  The numbers add up around 187 mph at V-MAX with my gear combos, I don't have the balls to try.

My z22 powered 4x4 720 will cruise noisily at 130 km/h if pushed, but I haven't gone above that. She's most comfortable around 100, and burns noticeably less fuel at 80-90. Definitely slows down for hills. I usually have my boat in the back and plenty of time to get to my destination when I'm in the 720. My speedo may be off given the bigger tires too.

I got my 3rd gen maxima up to 210 km/h with more left to go before chickening out. She was lowered on tokico coilovers and 17" rims and was so smooth on the freeway that 150km/hr felt the same as 100. I really miss that car. Not so good on gas (could have been my driving style), but so comfortable and reliable. Had over 350 000km and still going strong when I got rid of her. Good old VG.

• 4 weeks later...