Top speed on your STOCK engine

Jdm720

Stock z24 with weber and pacesetter header, with at least a ton between the truck and the trailer, 75 at 3500ish, 2600 miles across the country in the June heatwave and still had legs left. Temp gauge was still hanging around the bottom mark. Now my Z22 was mildly build and I buried the needle a few times so no clue. :frantics:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rebuilt stock l20b, with about 15,000-20,000 5spd d-leg, in 1969 510 wagon, steering box has about 6-7 in. of play lol, on the way to canby '12 when the bay area rat pack was coming down one of the big passes in Oregon, damp conditions, one passenger, camping gear, and a half a tank of gas, spedo read 115, rpm right around 4700 although it was bouncing aroung like crazy... still cant figure out why, even dayiling it

fastest i will prolly ever go in that thing!!! :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3 720s and all were different. My first was an 81kc 2.2 and a weber that would do as fast as i wanted giving it a little time. No problem doing 80 out on the hwy. My next was a 85 regular cab with a 2.4 that would do 70 ok and had lots less power than the 81 did. Now i have a 84 st 4x4 regular cab that will hardly get the speedo to 60 on a down hill (with either the 28.5 or 32" tall tires) 5th gear is not worth having in this truck and at about 3000 rpm it runs out of go but fine until then. I have not looked into that yet though. It is running the weber off the 81 i had that did so well.

Whatever 195/50R15 with a 3.7 rear end, with a truck 5-speed, at 6800RPM in 5th is, that's how fast my L20B would push my 510.

I was more or less paying attention to the road, screw the speedo. Keeping it in my lane was the tough part. Had I hit a dip in the road I would have had very short time to learn about thrust vectoring. Lol.

And yes. Down hill. ^_^

My 1969 datsun 521KC sitting on a 1982 datsun 720 frame with a stock 1985 nissan 720 SD25 diesel crate engine, with 350 gears in the rear will do 80mph all day long on level ground at 3000rpms getting 28+mpg loaded, I have had it to almost 90mph(level ground), but I had to floor it, and the SD series engines don't like going anything over 3200rpms, and it really doesn't have that much power above 3000rpms.

My 1971 datsun 521 work truck with an LZ23 will/did break the speedo needle off, I have never max'd it out, as that is just to fast for a frank'n truck with so many homemade modifications.

Did an estimated 150mph in 71 Datsun 510 with a vg30 turbo. Stock engine with a big turbo and a lot of horsepower. Had to figure it out based on gearing, tire size, and redline rpm.

I've hit close to 6k rpm in 5th gear in my 510... dual cam KA, stock other than intake/exhaust. Burning oil like a mofo . 6k rpm in 5th gear with a 3.7 Subaru LSD and 205-50-15s = 147 mph. If a stock oil burning KA 510 can do 140+ mph I think you need to gear your turbo VG taller ;)

i hate story problems..... :poke:...ps your clock is slow...

No problems, i was going very fast, and it felt faster than that. Push the gas down till the valves float, then let off just a little.

I broke it down( for those less gooder at math) but it was deleted out of pure disbalief/jealuosy/concerne for the public, or to keep a more "responsable" face on the ratsun community.

And at the time i was under the impression that the l20b was indestructable at high rpms.

10 years later and i shake my fist at any one doing more than 5 or 10 over the speedlimit lol.

I've hit close to 6k rpm in 5th gear in my 510... dual cam KA, stock other than intake/exhaust. Burning oil like a mofo . 6k rpm in 5th gear with a 3.7 Subaru LSD and 205-50-15s = 147 mph. If a stock oil burning KA 510 can do 140+ mph I think you need to gear your turbo VG taller ;)

Yeah the car is gear limited by its r200 LSD with 3.7 gears. It's not going to go much faster than your car but I'll definitely get there quicker. I'm currently building another v6 turbo car. This one will have a 3.54 LSD diff which will hopefully improve my first gear.

Whatever 195/50R15 with a 3.7 rear end, with a truck 5-speed, at 6800RPM in 5th is, that's how fast my L20B would push my 510.

I was more or less paying attention to the road, screw the speedo. Keeping it in my lane was the tough part. Had I hit a dip in the road I would have had very short time to learn about thrust vectoring. Lol.

And yes. Down hill. ^_^

195/50R15 with a 3.7 rear end, with a truck 5-speed, at 6800RPM in 5th....... 143.58 MPH