new datsun 510-----carb issues

i just purchased a 1970 datsun 510 that is currently not running.it has a l18 with dual dellorto carburators on it and i cant seem to get it to start.all the linkage are not hooked up and no choke is hooked up.also the throttle shaft seems to be really shift so basically i was wondering what you guys would recomend as a replacement carburator.i noticed one on ebay that is new called the genuine european weber 32/26dgev distributed by redline.is this carb any good and do you recomend a manual or electric choke

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If switching to the 32/26 you will need a stock intake for L16/18. If you get the weber get the direct replacement that is jetted properly for your motor and comes with the adapter plate and everything needed to instal it. If your 510 has a manual choke fine if not the electric choke is worry free.

Send me those icky carbs and manifold, I'll send you back a good weber 32/36 and adapter.

the direct replacement that is jetted properly for your motor
The direct replacement is jetted all the same for L16,L18,L20B. It will run good if your motor and exhaust is stock

thank for the quick reply. i think i am going to order the new weber carb for now and sell the dellorto setup.i liked the idea of having the sidedrafts but for now i just want it to reliably run while i get everything else sorted out. also if im unsure how old the gas is should i remove the gas tank and empty as much of the gas that i can out of it.its got about a half a tank in it. im just concerned that the gas thats in it could be bad and mess up the new carb

yes i am the new owner of this car and i was left with a mess. i have already ordered the new weber 32/36 im just going to start over fresh and use the original intake that i have for the original l16 that came with the car. so i will be pulling off the dellortos and will be selling them

yes this was datsun 65 car. i just purchased it a couple of days ago. none of the wiring is done. i am getting spark but it will not start. the dellortos are missing the proper linkage and the throttle shaft is very stiff and is hard to turn.at this point im starting with a new carb just to hopefully get it running so i can fine tune it from there

Yeah Im just sayoin it should at least fire off even if the carbs are off alot . or shoot starter fluid in the barrel of the carb.

Just pump them a few times manually by hand or soemthing and if distributor is timmed and valve lash is good it should fire off.

gas going to the carbs

Be nice you get some close up photos of the wires and coil set up you have incase soemthing obvious is wrong

it only takes 2 to 3 wires to run the ignition system if the key switch is OK.

well upon further inspection the gas is really old and rusty.i pulled the tank out to clean it and upon removing it i noticed that only one line is hooked up.the other line comming off of the tank is plugged and also noticed the line is not connected to anything in the engine bay.do i need to worry about running a return line and also how do i determine which line is which.if i do need it then what process do i need to do to get it all hooked up properly.thanks for everyones help trying to get this car running

there shopuld be a metal line going up to the passenger side by headlight area that is the main feed fuel line.

That should go to the carbs.

You can blow air back to clean it out.

I know on my red 510 there is a line going back but its not used, and I dont use a retun line either. I just use the stock 510 fuel pump.

So drain the tank, the tank has a plug on botton that you can drain it.

get that worked on then work bringin fuel up to the carbs.

Im just saying sidedrafts carbs even if not sync right should still have enough vapor to suck in and fire off if the electrical timming and motor timming is correct.