demo243

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stealing some photos too ahhahah

Well Shittt.... its broken.... 

Crank pulley blew off and took the fan with it... 

Will likely bump up my KA time frame...

Updates to come - Reseal of the L20b photos... 

More importantly... The KA build

My L motor had started to drip pretty badly, so I decided it was time to reseal the motor, which I could now do at home after scoring that hoist when I got the KA motor.

Prepping to pull

Motor is out

Someone did some porting on this head  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Started cleaning - Looks like the block was painted blue before a crappy black paint job

• Like 1

Back in

Had some trouble first starting it up as I accidentally put the distibutor/oil pump shaft in 180 degrees backwards so I had to swap the plug wires...

Broke her back in a run out to Folsom for their toy drive car show... Stealing this photo as well - Thanks !

Everything was running well... except my koyo rad developed a leak... Didnt have enough time before track day to find the leak so I just swapped in my old stock rad.

• Like 1

Random photos---

Spotted this awesome hauler one morning on my way to work

Everyone was having fun with these so I played along-  Thought the Libres looked pretty cool... those wheels are unfortunately sold now though to help fund the KA

Track Day!

Almost didnt go... was pouring rain on Friday and within the first 10 minutes of the drive up to Thunderhill the back end had fully stepped out on me and I had hydroplaned pretty bad twice... 

510T, Skyblue and I stuck with it though and made it up there safe.

The next morning things were looking better, but the track was still soaked

Videos are a few posts back. First session was super wet and pretty sketchy so the speeds were slow...

Second session didnt last very long.... unfortunately toward the end of my first lap my crank pulley decided it didnt like me anymore and wanted to pass me on track... I actually watched it roll past me on track... I left it out in the field to rust away.... I made sure I torqued it down- checked it twice... but apparently not enough....

So tow number 1 was off the track...

Then the issue became how do I get home...

Thunderhill is 160miles from pacifica... and I only have 100 mile towing with AAA... and they charge 6.50 a mile after 100 for a flat bed tow.... very expensive... thought about a uhaul truck and trailer... but too hard to coordinate...

510T stepped up and let me use his 100 mile tow to get to Vacaville and then I used my tow to get from Vacaville to Pacifica- Thanks again Tyler!

So tow 2 was accross the paddock to get to the entrance.

Tow 3 was to Vacaville.

And tow 4 was from Vacaville to Pacifica

Driver was nice enough to drop her right into the garage

Still waiting on a new pulley and fan and then Ill change the oil and check further for damage and hopefully all is well and I can run it again... but as mentioned... I am starting to dive into the KA - Stay tuned for more info on that.

• Like 1

Ok KA-

Been planning on building a new motor for the Car since I bought it. Original plans were to build a "race" L20b... but after a lot of thinking, given how much I run the car on the street and that it is getting harder to find new L motor parts the idea came to me to carb a newer engine. I thought about an SR, but they are pretty expensive to begin with and then the process of carbing it is a further added cost because of the custom parts needed. KA sounded like a pretty good option. Relatively cheap motor and trans, parts availability, pretty well documented for a swap... and a ton of low end torque. 

Found a good deal on a KA mated to an auto tranny, so I picked that up with the intent of sitting on it for a bit, but with my recent L motor issues, I have decided to just dive into the KA.

Still have a few decisions to make- mainly how much I want to build the motor... researching NA KAs has been pretty depressing... Most of the 240 guys just say boost it... but since I am putting it in the 510 I wanted to keep some nostalgia in the picture by running my Mikunis on it. 

Right now my current plan is -

KA24DE -

- Full Rebuild

- 4-2-1 Header

- 3" exhuast

- Mikuni 44's

- Ford EDIS/Megajolt Ignition

-Bump up the cams

- Valve train upgrade depending on cam selection?

-Possibly bump up the compression?

- Supertech 10.5:1 Pistons

- Upgraded Rods

-ATI Super Damper

-Fidenza Lightweight Flywheel

-TBD clutch

- Possibly some porting on the head

The BIG questions is do I bump compression up or just rebuild it stock and overbored? And which cams?

Other parts I will need-

- Flipped crossmember- Possibly McKinney

- Motor Mounts - Possibly McKinney as well

- T3 Trans Mount

- Radiator

- Electric Fans

- New wiring harness

- Random block off plates for the motor

- New Gauges - Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Wideband, possibly a new Oil Pressure - Possibly run Autometer... TBD

- B&M Short Shift or ATP Short Shift

Im sure there is more I am forgetting... I will update as I remember them

My biggest fear is the wiring... the car already has a rats nest behind the dash, and and since its so stripped an their will be so much changing I am thinking it will be best to start fresh... no experience with wiring through...

Stay tuned to updates...

Valve cover off

Head is off

Its a bit grimey

Need a puller to get the front pulleys off and then Ill get the timing cover off. 

I think this motor may have been opened up at some point, at least the timing cover and possibly the oil pan. There is a fair amount of sealant the cab be seen around it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to update yet... Other then my garage is beginning to look like an autoparts warehouse...

Picked up another trans... Seriously need to stay off of Craigslist... This one was recently rebuilt though so saves me the trouble of rebuilding the pnp one. Still have the auto trans that I need to get rid of as well.

Tear down continuing

Tear down complete

Found some metal junks in the oil pan... But don't know where they came from...

It's a good thing I'm rebuilding this motor... Pistons 1 and 4 were pretty good... But 2 was rough... And three was really rough ... Rings were f*^%ed and wrist pin was a bit tight.

• Like 1

Got a couple leads on some carb intakes so hopefully I'll have one of those in hand soon.

Also got a lead on an electromotive xdi ignition setup... But I'm still leaning toward the megajolt/edis4 setup

Still back and forth on whether to bump up to forged pistons and rods or rebuild "stock" ... $ will probably determine this... Leaning toward "stock" right now.

First thing is first though... Need to get the block and head to a machine shop in the Bay Area here. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also an rebuild kit recommendations?

I used this place a while back for an L engine......they know Datsuns....welll....they did....

.....owner had one street one track dime.....

Don't know if it's still the same owners......

https://www.google.com/maps/place/RPM+Automotive+Services/@38.3524998,-122.7265093,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x808435fa335597b5:0xbe86ad65e5840b85

.......and I can get stock Japanese rebuild kits.....

I order my kits from an engine machine shop near me called Cleggs. They sell all their stuff online though and ship nation wide. Prices are pretty good, and the kits they sell are the same they build engines with. And the shop has a very good reputation.

http://www.cleggengine.com/

You know, if you got a truck engine, you could put an L20b dizzy in it...   B)

Truck engines have their own issues as well.... they also are harder to find..

I dont know if an l20 dizzy bolts directly up either... 

And I already have the 240 motor so just working with it... I am liking the idea of no dizzy and the possibility of tuning with megajolt as well.

Truck engines have their own issues as well.... they also are harder to find..

Seem to be easy to find around here, just not always as cheap as 240SX engines... 

I dont know if an l20 dizzy bolts directly up either... 

Didn't say it was a direct bolt up.  ;)

But it's pretty easy. Replace the dizzy driveshaft with one from an L20b, drill and tap two new holes in the timing cover. Then it's a bolt on. 

And I already have the 240 motor so just working with it... I am liking the idea of no dizzy and the possibility of tuning with megajolt as well.

That's a good reason. And I also like the idea of being able to fine tune it, just a little scared of having to fine tune it.   :rofl:

• Like 1

That's a good reason. And I also like the idea of being able to fine tune it, just a little scared of having to fine tune it. :rofl:

That's the scary part... Having to or being able to tune it and possibly screw it up...

Duke is running a mega jolt set up. So I'm hoping I'll be able to "borrow" his map when I get mine going.

If I go xdi it seems even simpler just set your idle timing, your 3k timing, and 8k timing, then rev limit and it does the rest

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update-

Ive got two manifolds to choose from. 

A proper Nissan Motorsports made by Ed Pink Racing welded one-

And an Unknown Cast one that I am pretty stoked on and will likely run

Would love to know more about the cast one. It seams to be really nicely done, meaning somebody but some thought and likely some $$$ into the mold to cast it, but I have only ever found one other photo of it online mounted up, and cant find anything on either of the Casting marks - EWL 671-2 or A.D.M.L .