Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should try pm-ing ratsun member Greased Monkey. He lives in Japan and probably has a buddy who could translate that. Or one of our other Japan based brethren. Or put it up in a general discussion thread so you get more attention.

I've got a couple friends who say it says "believe in love" ... Although the second symbol is upside down and no one seems to know what the last symbol is ....

Kind of a bummer its not something more menacing

• Like 1

Then it was probably done by one of us ignorant Americans whos friends told him it meant Bad Ass Datsun, when in reality it says "believe in love you ugly cum dumpster" or something else ridiculously awesome and terrible.

• 2 months later...

Holy Crap … Almost on the third page… time to update...

Haven't really touched it since Canby… was a fun drive… but hard on the car. Its leaking oil more then ever before, time for a reseal… Speedo went nuts on the way home too… do 80 per my phone, the speedo read 110… Hauling Ass!!!!!

Anyway… Some canby photos… 

• Like 1

As she sits now… back on stands again...

The post canby to do list… 

Oh yea!! Don't think I posted this… picked up some 13x7 American Racing Libres ! These will be my race wheels - current worn tires are 215s!!!!! 

Test fitting….

Unfortunately the DP racing wilwood kit that I purchased… that was supposed to fit MOST 13's… doesn't fit… there is a very slight bit of rubbing between the barrel of the wheel and the caliper…. I could grind the caliper down… but they are wilwoods… so that is out… Don say panasports definitely fit… but those are expensive…. looking at the clearances though, I think I will have some custom brackets made that pull the caliper 3-4mm closer to the rotor/hub 

Just need to decide which holes to move… the caliper mount holes or the bracket to strut mount holes… going to try and mock up a bracket out of wood tomorrow to check clearances.

• Like 2

Tires on the libres are pretty toasted... But filled em all to 37 psi today... We'll see if any hold air...going to get just a little time on them

Mocked up a new bracket to check for clearances

Going to have some new brackets made up that move the caliper a few mm closer to clear these libres

• Like 2

Dropped off one of my brackets with the metal fab guy to make me some brackets to pull the calipers in. Should have them in a week or so...

Check my tire pressures on the libres . 2 were within in 1 psi.... One was down 4.5 and the other 2 psi.... We'll see how the next few days go

Also empties my catch can... Or so I thought... Pulled it off to look into remounting it or space it out... Let the can flop to one side and it spluged all over my bench.... Poured out even more of the crap as can be seen floating here ....

Then proceeded to space it out so the filter sits flush. Totally ghetto with washers and a nut to space it for now

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright! Time for an update! We're rolling on 13s!

Had some custom brackets made -

Look pretty good... But they could have been a bit more precise.... The one fits really good... The other is pretty tight clearance between the caliper and rotor... But oh well

Test fit - I have since painted them black

Sitting on 13s!

Then went for a drive

Unfortunately.... 215s ... Yes you read that right... 215s on a 13x7 0 offset?? Wheel... Rubs a little bit on the passenger side

A ghetto fender roll seemed to help.

Also spotted this around the corner- a nice fella named Wayne owns it. 71 series one with a 2.8 and 5spd. Georgeous car! Sitting on slot mags.

Back on a less fun note...

Changed the oil after canby and this is all that came out

I put 3 quarts in on the whole drive... Only about 3 quarts came out... I think it's time for a reseal.....

Also noticed what looked like some coolant blobs in the drip pan.... Thoughts?

Think I'm going to switch from vr1 10w30 to vr1 20w50 ... It seems like the 10w30 might be discontinued ... And the 20w50 might slow the leak...

• Like 3

And the 20w50 might slow the leak...

Always seems to me for me. And quiets the ticky L-series valvetrain a bit too...

On my last 510 I always ran 10w30 in the winter (easier starts) and 20w50 in the summer. Only put enough miles on it to change it twice a year so every spring and fall I made the switch. Always seemed to leak less with the 20w50 in it. 

• Like 1

Always seems to me for me. And quiets the ticky L-series valvetrain a bit too...

On my last 510 I always ran 10w30 in the winter (easier starts) and 20w50 in the summer. Only put enough miles on it to change it twice a year so every spring and fall I made the switch. Always seemed to leak less with the 20w50 in it.

Good to know... My motor ticks a bit to.... I'll swap to 20w50 next change

Rolled on the 13's up to the Datlife BBQ/Fun Run - Car still needs a lot of love after canby… temp gauge isn't working, and speedo is freaking out still even though I just put a new cable in… 

Anyway… its picture time.

The libres do conveniently display the wilwoods… 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

So I had a rear brake cylinder go bad on me… ruined a pair of porter field shoes…. bummer… thought about replacing it… but decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and I might as well upgrade to rear discs. After lots of debate I decided to go with 280zx calipers and 200sx rotors. Really thought about wilwoods, but wanted to keep my cable actuated e brake so that was the big deciding factor.

Got to work cutting off the backing plates… 

As usual… nothing ever goes to plan

Got some washers and longer bolts to space out the caliper

I wasn't stoked on the wilwood pads that came with my front calipers, so I decided to go back to Hawk HP+ pads - used these on my Subaru and loved em

All Mounted up

• Like 2