Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Winter time here in the NE... so not much going on with the dattos... to much salt on the roads to drive them, and there isn’t enough space or heat to really work on them in the garage... thinking about maybe getting a wall mount heater, but we’ll see...

I'm dieing to drive mine...

On the topic of garage heat I use an open flame style propane heater, it heats the garage up real quick.... the radiant style aren't bad but they dont move the air much, but you can mount them up out of the way... you could probably use a small fan blowing up to force circulation..... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm dieing to drive mine...

On the topic of garage heat I use an open flame style propane heater, it heats the garage up real quick.... the radiant style aren't bad but they dont move the air much, but you can mount them up out of the way... you could probably use a small fan blowing up to force circulation..... 

I’ll probably pull em out one of these days to at least start em up and run em. The 620 has a bad fuel line from the tank though... seaping pretty good when running...

The current garage is pretty small so I was thinking one of the radiant ones maybe... either way there isn’t much room to do much work in their anyway...

I can’t wait for spring!!!! Just want to drive em and cruise and hopefully hit up a cars and coffee or something... hopefully this COVID thing settles down again. 

• 1 month later...

Still cold, snowy, and the roads are full of salt.... so not much to update... 

I am unofficially-officially searching for a 2 door to add to the fleet. Willing to ship it, but that eats into the budget quite a bit... so preferably something on the east coast. I don't mind driving to pick it up. Doesn't need to be a runner, roller is ok, as I'll probably KA swap it as well. Plan would be to build a dedicated "race car" for AutoX and tracks days, which would allow me to make this car a bit more street oriented. I am open to a full blown race car, but realistically I think just a roll bar makes more sense since I will probably never race it competitively... and Im sure Ill want to street drive it too. Got a cold lead on two cars, but both are unlikely to change hands... need to start "knocking" on doors and doing some digging...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Teaser Shot!

51060327071_0dd2f5e186_b.jpg

Picked up a bunch of parts from a local 510 guy including these wheels. I didnt think they would even be close to fitting since they came off a flared car... but low and behold, we are CLOSE!

I think they are 13x5.5s and are wrapped in some 215/50s that are old but in good shape. 

I need to swap a caliper bracket back in to hopefull clear them as the calipers are just dragging right now...  but my other brackets should get me an extra mm or 2...3... Gotta check the rears as well but I think we'll be ok. Might even let me drop her a little bit more! Slamming this car!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Broke the mistresses out of the garage the other day! Fired up the 510 for the first time since she got tucked away and took her for a quick rip. Damn this car is stupid fun hahahahah! Really need to knuckle down though and swap the spare trans in... The can of bolts that rattles on decel takes alot of the fun away from driving it. Clutch feels really light too... works, but feels really light. Bleed it in the fall but didnt make a difference. Unfortunately I thinks it will be easiest to pull the whole engine and trans to do the swap since the trans bolts are so tight to the firewall I need to pull the rad and hook the engine up to the hoist anyway...

51101987457_a5dc68e6a8_b.jpg

• Like 2

Sitting on 13's again!

51109688482_c360a2a25c_b.jpg

Still need to mess around with a few things and play wheel roulette to try and get the wheel weights too clear.... Front passenger has a row of them that are just hitting...  Tires are older, but in decent shape, will run them for now. Gotta keep my eyes open for a decent set of 195-205 13's... Federal says they make 595s, but nobody has them in stock... I found some no name Vitour Formulas in a 195/55r13, but no information on them, and they are still $100 bucks a tire... I think I can still get some Toyo RA1s for ~$140 each, but thats more then I was hoping to spend... I worry about getting anything balanced on these wheels as well, since realistically the only place for weights is the very inside edge of the drum...

Brake clearances are SUPER tight. 

51109688402_580973e42f_b.jpg

51109688412_969d61161c_b.jpg

Didnt think I was that into slots, but I dig the look now. Car is soo low on 13s too.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Not much to update... Really havent been driving the car enough unfortunately... between the rain, busy summer, and being tucked back in the corner it just hasnt been out much.

Took it out to the local cars and coffee a few weeks ago though. Its a nice show with a good bit of variation in cars.

51383215236_c6f2c49170_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

I guess I have officially joined the low club --- at least on 13's... Came across a trench in the road where the pavement had sank a little bit... smacked the crossmember in the process... ouch... 

51304255507_fa718bd187_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Picked up a new steering wheel as well- decided to give Renown a try since the same Momo was hard to find. Havent driven it yet, but so far it feels nice! Need to find a slightly thinner steering wheel adapter though to get it back in the proper position. 

51383461403_20eccbb208_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

We’ll it’s been over a year since I have posted here… have a kid they said- it’ll be fun! Actually it is pretty fun, but it has definitely taken a lot of time away from the Datsuns.

I really haven’t done anything to the car other then change the oil. Oh I did swap my 4.11 rear end back in to help a little bit with the highway driving over the 4.44 I had in there.

Drove it out to the Vintage races at Lime Rock a couple weeks ago. Put more miles on it just driving out then I did all summer! It was a great weekend. Was able to get a few Z friends together and we snapped a few shots. Didn’t bring my big camera this year but did snap a couple other Datsun race car photos too.

Always cool having Datsuns in the rearview

52358302023_ccdeb65aa3_b.jpg

52358410055_4c31b451a0_b.jpg

52358223718_bf11293f55_b.jpg

52358223753_e445c32e6c_b.jpg

Two 510s racing this year, but the blue one ran into some trouble and retired early.

52358301918_674e214e94_b.jpg

52358488000_7a5e1b89da_b.jpg

• Like 3

Also will post this up here -

I am actively looking for a 2 door 510. Would consider a clean 4 door as well. Looking to add another 510 to the stable and probably let go of the 620.

Something on the East coast would be ideal, but I would ship the right car. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Officially a Z owner. 

52735098895_75e9332a8d_b.jpg

Picked up this ‘83 ZX. Price was too good to say no too. It’s actually rougher then it looks… it’s probably salvageable… but not worth putting the money into. Ultimately it’s likely going to be a donor drivetrain and part out car. 

Now to find an S30 to swap the drivetrain into!

Still winter and massive salt bomb here so the 510 is tucked away for a bit longer.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up a '73 240z today! 

Its a project, but a solid runner! 

52771688863_595e4ab96b_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

52770666387_030b5d281f_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

52771613615_e00e4dacf3_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Thread for the Z here-

Not sure what I am going to do with the '83 ZX... This 240 already has a ZX 2.8 swapped in, so TBD

Edited by demo243
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Not much happening with the 510 right now... The Z has been taking up most (all) the time recently... Which relegated the 510 to shelf status....

52879431679_d77871c8c9_c.jpg

But in honor of 5/10 - I cleared her off an pulled her out. Took it for a very short drive up the road.. but something was rubbing in the back, so I cut it short and turned around. 

Love this car on 13's!!!! 

52887118267_f3a9cc5ddd_c.jpg

But realistically its too low to really drive on them.... 

Driveway is looking solid these days! But damn that Z needs more Low...

52887119687_81df38ec84_c.jpg

Plans for the 510 this summer include hopefully finally swapping the transmission to see if that's where my gear rattle is. As well as finally putting some proper race buckets in it. Passenger seat is already out from test fitting in the Z so Im already part way there for the seats... just $$$ now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Not much happening with the 510 right now... The Z has been taking up most (all) the time recently... Which relegated the 510 to shelf status....

52879431679_d77871c8c9_c.jpg

But in honor of 5/10 - I cleared her off an pulled her out. Took it for a very short drive up the road.. but something was rubbing in the back, so I cut it short and turned around. 

Love this car on 13's!!!! 

52887118267_f3a9cc5ddd_c.jpg

But realistically its too low to really drive on them.... 

Driveway is looking solid these days! But damn that Z needs more Low...

52887119687_81df38ec84_c.jpg

Plans for the 510 this summer include hopefully finally swapping the transmission to see if that's where my gear rattle is. As well as finally putting some proper race buckets in it. Passenger seat is already out from test fitting in the Z so Im already part way there for the seats... just $$$ now.

Beautiful car's 

• 2 months later...

Nothing to update... Z has officially taken up all of the wrenching time. I have had the car out for a couple runs but its mostly just tucked in the garage. 

I did get rid of the passenger seat as some motivation for new seats - likely won't happen this year (same as the transmission swap...) but its one step closer in motivation for some new race seats.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...