Red 71 4dr - Carbed KA24DE

demo243

Well... back to the drawing board on the alternator wiring... car isn’t charging now. Took it for a spin to test out the coil overs... and it wouldn’t start back up... battery drained, had to call the wife to bring the jump box... the set up seems to be working fine on the 620... so not sure what’s going on... going to order a volt gauge so I can at least see what’s going on while driving. 

on a better note- to hot to work in the sun today so I went ahead and pulled the headlight seat to do some trimming to fit the air funnel. 

50105970427_caeb411518_b.jpg

50105970627_337a035f4f_b.jpg

definitely miss the look of the yellow fogs... but gonna run it race car style for a little bit

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Well... back to the drawing board on the alternator wiring... car isn’t charging now. Took it for a spin to test out the coil overs... and it wouldn’t start back up... battery drained, had to call the wife to bring the jump box... the set up seems to be working fine on the 620... so not sure what’s going on... going to order a volt gauge so I can at least see what’s going on while driving. 

on a better note- to hot to work in the sun today so I went ahead and pulled the headlight seat to do some trimming to fit the air funnel. 

50105970427_caeb411518_b.jpg

50105970627_337a035f4f_b.jpg

definitely miss the look of the yellow fogs... but gonna run it race car style for a little bit

I wonder is some yellow LEDs lighting on the inside would give a similar look?

Even go one step more and paint that grill yellow or an appropriate matching color maybe even a copper plating or something.... and you could do a fake intake on the other side with the same lights and colored grill...

And I'll add I hate alternators too lately... they shouldn't be this much work to have them work properly..... I've been chasing my tail lately too.... hasn't left me stranded but it was close the other day...

But that was me not the alternator... still the charging system though....

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I wonder is some yellow LEDs lighting on the inside would give a similar look?

Even go one step more and paint that grill yellow or an appropriate matching color maybe even a copper plating or something.... and you could do a fake intake on the other side with the same lights and colored grill...

And I'll add I hate alternators too lately... they shouldn't be this much work to have them work properly..... I've been chasing my tail lately too.... hasn't left me stranded but it was close the other day...

But that was me not the alternator... still the charging system though....

Not a bad idea - throw another funnel in on the other side and then a couple small hidden LED yellows for DRLs or fogss.....

Yea the alternator is frustrating.... Its essentially wired up the same as before, the only difference is there is a 2" dead end wire off one of the tabs... I dont get it...

• Like 1

Swapped the old wire/plug in and it charges fine immediately... back to having the draw... but that’s ok for now with this car...  It spends more time parked in the garage so I’ll pop the breaker to isolate the battery... I’ll mess around again later at some point

• 1 month later...

Not much to update. Yet...

Reworking the garage setup so I tore out the existing work bench and a few other things—seems big now with just the 510 in there.

50245939421_2e797e3f13_b.jpg

The plan is too clean out this old garage and at least paint the inside to make it a bit more friendly...

And then it’s going to get crowded this winter—

50246148232_300b9c0eab_b.jpg

Its a tight fit... but they make it in there! Probably not for everyday parking... but at least able to get the 620 in the garage for the winter or those rainy spring weeks.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So not much to update on the datto front... but making some big progress on the garage!

So I have posted a few photos before... but essentially this is what I started with--- there used to be parts under the bench on the right and a bakers rack with parts behind the car too--- but those have been moved to the basement of the house for now... probably forever. Anyway, it was very functional, with a killer size work bench, but the whole place was filthy... probably 100 years or dirt... and felt really small with the 510 in there. Then I got the 620 and the poor thing was stuck outside in the snow all winter and I would rather not do that again. Plan was to tear it down and build a bigger one... but with Covid, pulling permits, demo costs, the kid on the way, and all new windows in the house; well the garage got back burnered.... So time to do what I can to make it functional for now --- anyway again here is where I started...

50306597967_655be83d2f_b.jpg

I got to work and tore everything out---

50306597902_031ae370ae_b.jpg

Then got to work painting the inside white to help reflect light and fell cleaner

50306446826_81632b6af6_b.jpg

Painted-- had to move everything back in to close it up... You can tell there was a ton of old dust as it bleed through the paint even after shop vac'ing every wall.

50305759423_e130cd65db_b.jpg

Shuffled things around and stuffed the 510 back in the corner. 

50305759518_9d4f37147d_b.jpg

Test fit again to fit both the 510 and the truck in there--- Its TIGHT... but doable... mostly to get the truck out of the rain and snow... but also to open up the garage... 

50306446821_88ec0cb88c_b.jpg

The MOST IMPORTANT UPDATE! The Datsun Racing Banner!

50305759398_97b63226f0_b.jpg

Then I got to work building a bench in the back left corner--- had to run some new power to move the outlet, and got some additional lights, but that was easy... Its the smallest bench I have had in a while... but not too bad... 

50305759413_f49f93b4c8_b.jpg

As I left it off for the night--- 

50306446911_e840d6f9d9_b.jpg

Up next is to add some more shelves--- a bunch of 6-12" shelves up high --- a big 20-24" shelf above the trunk of the 510 and maybe another above the car itself. Then planning on adding a ~20" shelf/bench on the left side above the 620 bed for the drill press and grinding wheel, usable when the truck isnt in there, but able to get the truck bed underneath it... 

More to come!

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Garage is about 90% there --- still some clean up to do, and Ill probably add a few more shelves... but with rain in the forecast tomorrow I stuffed the truck in there!

50324159012_de6cda47db_b.jpg

Enough room to get between them, and just enough room to access the tools and keep the bench usable. 

50323313413_6f73f2b7d9_b.jpg

And if I really need access to the drill press while the truck is in there... I guess I could just work from the truck bed hahaha

50323982146_b259f466b0_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Met a local guy with a Z the other day which inspired me to get some work done on the 510. I hadnt planned on working in the garage, but decided to give it a try. Pulled the truck out moved the 510 in an put the front up on jackstands. The floor isn't level enough that I would want to work truly underneath the car, but it seems to be holding pretty sturdy as it is. 

50382850841_112d978c2b_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

50383029557_2cb1fbbe59_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Starting tearing the front end apart with the plan to redo all of the steering linkages, bushings, and swap in my shorter struts with Koni Race inserts. 

Got the struts out and swapped the coilovers over, still need to swap the hubs and brake mounts over. Starting mocking up the steering linkage too. 

50382148273_c552bbcdd4_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

The first question I have is on the TC rod bushings. The Moog replacements have a shape to them which is different then the stock ones. Not sure which orientation to mount them in. 

A

50382850866_6426202eed_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

or 

B
50382148293_310330af7d_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Currently they are set up in the "A" orientation, not sure that it really matters though. 

50382850836_d0fcb696d8_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

50382148328_9756821d7d_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Next up is to drop the old steering linkage, keeping the tie rods intact as possible so I can measure and transfer it over to the new ones. Also going to pull the LCAs and replace the bushings in them as well, will probably run to harbor freight tomorrow to grab their 6 ton bench top press for those. 

• Like 1

I just put up more pallet racking in my shop space!  Best thing EVER.........getting stuff up off the floor, on to shelves!  I set the pallet rack up with the first shelf about 6ft up (12ft high ceilings), set up an old futon & book shelves, so have a small man cave spot to sit or NAP!!  Your 510 & garage look great! 😎

• Like 1
20 hours ago, yenpit said:

I just put up more pallet racking in my shop space!  Best thing EVER.........getting stuff up off the floor, on to shelves!  I set the pallet rack up with the first shelf about 6ft up (12ft high ceilings), set up an old futon & book shelves, so have a small man cave spot to sit or NAP!!  Your 510 & garage look great! 😎

I wish I had the space for a couch or something... but making the most of a small garage. If I ever get around to putting a bigger one in I will definitely add something to sit on- maybe pick up a few WRX seats and make some loungers out of them hahaha! I always liked having a beer from those while they were out of the car.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, demo243 said:

The first question I have is on the TC rod bushings. The Moog replacements have a shape to them which is different then the stock ones. Not sure which orientation to mount them in. 

A is the correct orientation, although in the real world it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

I was wondering if you had a chance to drive the car with the ABS door cards installed? I had asked another Ratsun member about the ones he made for his 510, and he said they rattled against the sheet metal. I like the way they look but I don't want to add any more rattles to my car.

2 hours ago, Z23T said:

I was wondering if you had a chance to drive the car with the ABS door cards installed? I had asked another Ratsun member about the ones he made for his 510, and he said they rattled against the sheet metal. I like the way they look but I don't want to add any more rattles to my car.

I have driven it- to be honest I couldn’t tell you though... the car is so loud... and with poly engine and trans there is a lot of vibration- including the metal t3 parcel shelf and rear firewall which definitely rattle. I do think it’s better then the metal ones which rattle really loudly. I did put a screw in the center of the panel to help reduce vibration

if you did it right you could put some thick foam rubber strips between the door and the panel to minimize any vibration.

Waiting for a hydraulic press to pop out the old bushings from the LCAs before I can put the front end back together so messing around with a few little things.

Swapped a new volt meter in. Nothing special there.

Also made a simple mount and moved the fuel pump. It had been on its side in the back corner or the trunk, but I didn’t really like the placement and carter pumps are supposed to be mounted vertically- so threw this together real quick with some spare aluminum sheet I had laying around. I’ll shorten the fuel line and lengthen the wires at some point.

50394230721_3200973e21_b.jpg

Edited by demo243
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much to update... 

Got some time to mess around with it this afternoon and swapped the B&M short shifter to a stock KA shifter -- my god the throws are long! -- anyway it unfortunately did not fix my deceleration grind... so that rules out the shifter... need to get under the car again to see if the trans is potentially contacting the tunnel... but I dont think it is. That leads to either u-joints from the driveshaft or a bad transmission or the fidenza flywheel is too light and doesnt dampen the vibrations enough... 

Anyway... I think I am going to pick up another ebay cheapo short shifter, I like the feel of that one in the 620 better then the super notchey B&M one. The B&M one really doesnt like reverse, which is quite annoying... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess thats it... The end of Datsun Driving Season here in the northeast--- 4" of snow in Mass today... and the salt truck definitely drove by!  

50547727058_530a7c918b_c.jpgUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Hopefully I am wrong, and we get a good couple days of rain to wash the salt off and I can sneak a few more days in.

• 2 months later...

Winter time here in the NE... so not much going on with the dattos... to much salt on the roads to drive them, and there isn’t enough space or heat to really work on them in the garage... thinking about maybe getting a wall mount heater, but we’ll see...

Anyway picked up some new headlights for the 510. One of the things I miss about running the air funnel is not having my yellow fogs as running light. Was looking at an H4 conversion for another post (mine are already converted) and stumbled upon these lamps with amber leds on the bottom.

50818905496_7a6eef6220_b.jpg

Took a few minutes and ghetto rigged em up to the 620 since it was easier to access. The LEDs seem a bit dim... bummer... but voltage was low and the wiring was sketchy at best... so hopefully they will be brighter with full voltage. If not oh well... only about $60 bucks...

50819003917_f4fcd7be89_b.jpg

21 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Winter time here in the NE... so not much going on with the dattos... to much salt on the roads to drive them, and there isn’t enough space or heat to really work on them in the garage... thinking about maybe getting a wall mount heater, but we’ll see...

Anyway picked up some new headlights for the 510. One of the things I miss about running the air funnel is not having my yellow fogs as running light. Was looking at an H4 conversion for another post (mine are already converted) and stumbled upon these lamps with amber leds on the bottom.

50818905496_7a6eef6220_b.jpg

Took a few minutes and ghetto rigged em up to the 620 since it was easier to access. The LEDs seem a bit dim... bummer... but voltage was low and the wiring was sketchy at best... so hopefully they will be brighter with full voltage. If not oh well... only about $60 bucks...

50819003917_f4fcd7be89_b.jpg

United is a company that caters to Semi Trucks. Wow they fit, cool.

2 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

United is a company that caters to Semi Trucks. Wow they fit, cool.

Haven’t tried them in the headlight buckets  yet... but they are the right diameter.

Not bad for an H4 conversion either for someone who wants to do that... with or without the leds

• Like 1