1991 Miata 1.6L BEAST!

Alright I have been looking for a Miata off and on for about a year.I finally convinced the wife to get a stick shift a month ago and so the searching really began. We have had some close ones, and there was one that was in better shape but someone beat me to it (that person got a screamin' deal). This was a good deal on a solid little starter. Below are the pictures supplied by the previous owner. The interior was in good shape just dirty. The car looks like it hasn't been washed in years, and so today me and the wife are cleaning it.

It is a 1991 Mazda Miata, 1.6 with the dreaded crappy crankshaft, but I don't mind. It has plenty of scuffs and scrapes the paint is bad, and the clutch is on its last leg (which is perfect to teach my wife on). The timing belt has been changed, and it has a new exhaust. The tires are decent and I will be checking out the brakes today or tomorrow they seem fine though. I think this is going to be a fun car, and best thing of all my wife is learning to drive a stick shift! It will be my daily and her weekend runner for when I am home with the kiddos.

IMG_20120801_155316.jpg

IMG_20120801_155307.jpg

IMG_20120801_155256.jpg

IMG_20120801_155149.jpg

IMG_20120801_155111.jpg

IMG_20120801_155014.jpg

IMG_20120801_155005.jpg

IMG_20120801_154949.jpg

IMG_20120801_154937.jpg

IMG_20120801_154925.jpg

I don't know why anyone would run an AMP to power 2 speakers talk about a waste.

IMG_20120801_155044.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish, but no, this is going to remain a stocker, just gonna clean it up and enjoy the ride, if I want power I will jump in my Z and hit the gas. This has to stay easy to drive and reliable so the wife can use it. She is out right now in it practicing and going to the store, we drove around the neighborhood last night for about an hour I was teaching her how to drive stick she did great, we will see if she makes it home :D.

The amp was running 2 kenwood 4" circle speakers in the door, and the deck says it pushes 4x54. Here is the crazy part though. The previous owner who had the car 10 years didn't even know he had speakers in the headrests of the seats. He just gave up on listening to music at really any speed over 45 mph with the top down. I pulled out all the not great job done wiring and rewired the stereo today. It was pretty easy, thank goodness the original harness was mainly intact. The stereo seems to push enough amps to power the speakers in there. I got a couple pictures of the carnage, but photobucket is not playing nice right now.

Well I got an assignment done for school today, then started tinkering. My airbag light was flashing 10 times which means the Control Module is Toast, I tried fixing it, but even replacing the bad capacitors the damage was already done to the PCB. So I disconnected the air bag and the alarm buzzer at some time in the future I will unplug the light, but I would rather have a light stay on then blink at me. No pictures today, I will be ordering the clutch in a couple weeks. The volvo is gone now it was a great car, but the next owner is going to love it.

I have dibs on the seats if you get new ones. ;-)

btw, how much did you pay for the car?

There is a mazda at colorado auto parts, seats are gone. I didn't take a closer look at the rest of the car.

If you change your mind the 1.6 miata can take quite a bit of power from boosting and is fairly cheap since DSM turbos are pretty good for the car. The Short nose crank issue isn't hard to deal with as long as you don't have any pulley woble at the moment, I'd just thread lock it when you replace waterpump and timing belt.

I've got a ceramic clutch in mine along with a HD pressure plate, its not bad for daily driving and as for the headrest speakers, they arent really needed but are a nice option. My straight piped miata has music able to be heard with these speakers http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000230LC2

• 2 weeks later...