520/521 Wing Window (Vent) Seals

zed1

After exhausting all sources for replacement window seals, I have visited with Kip Motors (http://www.kipmotor....lded-rubber.htm) about reproducing sets for us Datsun owners. I have personally seen the vast array of window seals that Kip has duplicated. It is possible that one of their channel molds duplicates the 520/521 wing window seal straight pieces. However, it may be necessary to mold the three corners to properly assemble a replacement.

The part numbers I am intending for reproduction are 80241-B3000 and 80242-B3000 for the 03/1965-09/1969 Datsun 520 & 521.

In order to proceed on this project, we need a sample pair of original wing window seals. It does not matter if the seals are torn or have dry rot. We need a pair that has complete corner radius and a cross section that represents the glass thickness. These samples may be destroyed during Kip’s analysis of the feasibility and cost of the project.

If anyone has an old set they can give up for this project, please PM me and we can make arrangements to go forward with this.

Thanks,

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought a set of the 520 vent windows to Kip Motors. Here is the verdict on reproducing:

First set will cost $750 (this includes the molding costs).

Second and subsequent sets cost $250.

If anyone wants to take this project further, I would lend my set to Kip Motors for their use in making a mold.

Keith

mrbigtanker,

The only reason the reproduction makes economic sense is that no OEM sets are available for sale. That being the case, is your set for sale and if so, at what price?

Keith

How much would a run of 25 sets cost, can they make that many sets, or do their molds expire before they can make that many sets?

I am asking because I have been trying to find someone to make 320 wingwindow gaskets, and if they can make 520/21 wingwindow gaskets, they can likely make 320 ones also, but I would like a predetermined run(25 sets) that the cost is known upfront, and hopefully reasonable, as you won't get many takers at $250.00 a set.

I would like to see if they can be made for less than $200.00 a set, and even better if they were less than $150.00 a set, as we have to face the fact that most ratsuners are like birds, we are, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Ralleye enterprises had pre 1968 wingwindow gaskets made, and are selling them for $109.50 a set, now I am not saying that we could get them for that, but we got to try to get it down from $250.00 a set.

mrbigtanker likely bought his gaskets from "620green", I won't say how much he paid, but that bridge has been burnt now, and I beleave he has installed them on his truck, the few that have OEM sets don't/won't sell them.

wayno,

Kip Motors manufactures Metropolitan vent weatherstrip (4 37H9516 Weatherstrip, vent (pair) $175.45 at http://www.kipmotor.com/Catalogs/MET-glass.pdf).

I would anticipate that if the size of the 320 vent windows is similar to the 520, the cost would be similar.

You are free to call Kip Motors and inquire about a volume discount; however I would expect that you would have to prepay the entire order before he would begin volume production.

Please note, Kip is a businessman with integrity. He is very active in British car preservation, coordinates the All British & European Car Day (http://www.allbritishcarday.com/) and has been featured in numerous publications.

Also note, other than the assistance Kip has provided me in my Datsun projects (far removed from his typical British car customers) I have had no financial relationship with the business.

Unfortunately, I have no time to coordinate the production of the 520 vent seal, other than to loan an original set.

Keith

That is what I would expect, to pay up front, like I did when I had the datsun 320 windshields cut.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24745-datsun-320-windshieldsnew/

The issue here is money, most won't pay more money for a set of gaskets than they paid for their truck, and I don't blame them.

I actually sent a set of sample 320 gaskets out for an estimate, it was $4000.00 for just the molds in another country.

wayno,

The $500 mould cost included in the first set of 520 set is a bargin compared to your quote.

Does the 320 and 520/521 windows share common corners or channels? If so, there may be some cost savings in setting up both moulds at one time.

Kip showed me a distributor cap for a vintage warplane that they fabricated. The cost of the first cap was ~$2000. The second and subsequent caps are ~$800. As a result of someone taking the initiative, now several warbirds can fly.

Keith

I am not in a position to eat the cost of it everytime, I lost my ass on the 320 windshields, I am going to do it in such a way that I don't actually loose money, or I am not going to do it anymore.

That is why I was asking if a run of 25 sets would be cheaper per piece/set, that way they(kipmotor) doesn't have to deal with anything other than one sale, and they don't have to sit on stock, or set up there molds a bunch of times over the course of a decade.

I have the kipmotor.com in my favorites, as when you posted the link I saved it, and decided to wait to see how it went for you, now that you have came back with a quote that was more reasonable than I could get from a foreign country, I will look into it also.

This is a link about where we are to date on 320 vent gaskets so far, which is basicly nowhere.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/36990-anyone-want-to-buy-new-320-vent-window-rubbers/

I see now you have actually been to the above link yourself, but I was waiting to see if anything came from AZhitman's inquiry.

wayno

• 6 months later...
Did this ever happen I would buy a set even if they are $250 i could re use mine if I had to but I want new as my truck is being taken completely apart to paint and finish metal fab

Nothing has come of it so far, I will admit that my interest was finding someone to make the 320 wingwindow gaskets, and I thought someone else was going to have them made, but so far nothing has happened for the 520/521, or the 320.

Last guy I talked to about making 320 gaskets the molds were going to be $4,000. Like Wayno said, too much. Wayno, I posted on 320 thread about 3d printing. Don't know what DGuy210 would think about that idea, haven't heard.

I replied to the thread. But generally the way to do this would be scan an original, clean up and produce a model, upload this to a 3D print site that can do rubber. People would be able to order as needed. You can also charge a small fee for the finished model+product through the store if so inclined.

If someone wants to figure out the approx. cost they can make a quicky rough size model for a qoute (basically a triangle) to see if the print cost is reasonable. My guess would be somewhere from 2-3$ a cubic centimeter.  So somebody quickly dunk a gasket in some water and give us an approx. volume.

• 1 year later...

Hey wayno, have you used these or know anyone who has?  I actually have some NOS, but I might buy some other rubber bits from them and I'm wondering how the quality is.

I tried to order these a couple of days ago and they won't ship to the US. I tried to contact the seller to see if they would but I haven't heard back yet.

Wait for a reply, if you don't get one, then message me, I have an extra set of that ebay sellers 520/521 wingwindow gaskets, but I have been trying to sell them to local people that don't need them shipped, shipping just raises the price above what you can get them from that ebay seller directly.

Hey wayno, have you used these or know anyone who has?  I actually have some NOS, but I might buy some other rubber bits from them and I'm wondering how the quality is.

The quality is very good, I have fitted them in a door and they seem to fit very well, I have no clue on what time will do to them.

I took a set of them over to Mike Klotz's, and after seeing them he had me order him 2 sets with my second order.

My friend says that this guy has some of the best rubber re-pops he has seen, but please see next post.

I thought about this a few minutes, then decided to post this for you, this ebay seller is "the guy", if he has an auction on ebay Australia, then buy if you need the part, but don't give him money to make parts, this is in the 320 section in this thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/36990-anyone-want-to-buy-new-320-vent-window-rubbers/

This is what I posted in that thread on page 5.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I actually got a quote from a guy for 320 wingwindow molds a couple days ago, then I asked a friend of mine over in Australia about the guy, this is what I received from him, I am going to change the name of the company/person right now, I will refer to him as "THE GUY", it's not likely that I will be sending money to THE GUY to have molds made, if he is selling finished parts on ebay, I will buy them just like everyone else, but I am not paying for molds.

G'day Wayne,
                      Mate........................BIG story. I'll just give you the highlights. Now alot of this story has nothing to do with me.  But this guy THE GUY has around $4000 worth of stainless mouldings for my Monaro, and i will never get it back.

OK, so the story goes that this guy THE GUY was doing repro rubber parts for Japanese cars, and good quality stuff too. He was getting them done in Thailand.  
Now these guys in Thailand are also doing repro stuff for other people, including car panels for U.S. cars like Camaro's etc and selling to a particular guy in the states. 

The story goes, someone in the states got onto the guys in Thailand, and paid big money to make tooling for these parts. In return, they were to be the sole supplier of said parts, but.......... the guys in Thailand are dishonest, and sold some of this stuff to THE GUY "out the back door" 
Shame on them for selling someone else's product, 
and shame on THE GUY for doing the deal with them.
So then THE GUY says to the guys in Thailand, i want a heap of early Holden parts reproduced, how about you do them for me?  Of course the guys in Thailand say "sure, you pay for the tooling and we will do it."
So they start off small and he gets some good parts, gets them into Australia and he is the sole supplier of these parts.  More and more tooling gets made and paid for, more and more parts are coming in, THE GUY is making a killing.
So guess what happens!!!!!
Some guys in Australia go to the same back door that THE GUY went to, and THEY start buying repro Holden parts from Thailand.
So THE GUY is now on the receiving end of losing out. He gets the legal stuff happening, and that is where it is at right now.

How do i know all of this i hear you ask.....

Well, a while ago i find a HQ Holden Monaro coupe.  Has all this good stuff with it, but the body is in a panel shop, the upholstery is at the trimmers, and the stainless mouldings are at a reputable dealers place. I visit all of these places to inspect all of the items that belong to the car. So the guy that has the stainless says,"no worries, your stainless is at THE GUYS place, we just need to get it back here" It's all reconditioned ready to put on.
So i buy the car, do the rounds to pick up all of the parts for my car, but THE GUY hasn't got the stainless at his shop, he has sent them to Thailand to be used for templates.
OK, so i want my parts please i  say.  "Well, about that, he says, i can't get them for you as all of this shit is going on right now. I acknowledge you own these parts, and i am doing my best to get them back for you but i am having trouble" 
These parts for the Monaro coupe are super hard to find, and a full set is generally worth $4000. And they don't come up very often.
So there is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that people like me have unwittingly loaned out that will never get it back

So, if you are asking my opinion on you doing a deal with THE GUY???? 
NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!
Buying stuff from him off ebay would be fine. But trusting this guy with $3000, would be like giving a fat kid the keys to a chocolate shop.
With you being in the states, he would have no reason to honor anything for you, because you will never come to Australia to retrieve $3K. 
I think you are most likely in a very hard spot, especially since you are overseas.
If i can help in any way just ask, it is no problem.