Say hello to Phuglee my "new" 710 Wagon! (Lots 'o Pics)

O.D.D.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it a sedan delivery or an aerobus or an opera coupe - as long as you add enough photos, everyone here will be able to figure out what you've got.

Once you've gotten a couple hundred posts under your belt the new-guy hazing should let up.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! hardtop, coupe, 2 door sedan.... I'm getting a headache. Ok....

Banner - Thank you for the pics of your car vs Skibs. It did a lot to clarify why you brought it up.

I honestly didnt know there was a literal difference. (up to that point I had thought we were all debating semantics)

Havent seen a lot of these before landing the pair, and didnt really pay a lot of attention to the complete line up. Having seen shots of the two I wish mine WAS a coupe!

Funny how I can post 2 pages of pics and get little interest, but call the 2 door hardtop a coupe and now everyone is involved!

If it makes you feel better I was following your rigs before the whole coupe thing.. :)

The white car ( see what i did there ) ,, looks very saveable with some por15 and fiberglass on the under side, till you can find a trunk lid...Stuff sticks and seals like crazy.

I never appreciated what could be done to one of these wagons till i came across this website a year or so ago..We used to harvest the engine transmissions out for our truck projects and give the rest to the scrap / junkyard ,, many of them..

:hmm:

If it makes you feel better I was following your rigs before the whole coupe thing.. :)

The white car ( see what i did there ) ,, looks very saveable with some por15 and fiberglass on the under side, till you can find a trunk lid...Stuff sticks and seals like crazy.

I never appreciated what could be done to one of these wagons till i came across this website a year or so ago..We used to harvest the engine transmissions out for our truck projects and give the rest to the scrap / junkyard ,, many of them..

:hmm:

Yea - I should pretty much invest in some POR stock at this point, looks like between the 2 - 710s i am going to use a small bathtubs worth.

Kinda funny - my buddy and parts guy, Phil, used to campaign 510's at the local dirt track and went through over a dozen of them. You aren't alone. In fact i got this as a freebie cuz 2 guys pulled the motor for a Baja Bug Conversion. After that the car was worthless to them - they purchased it from an estate auction for $80.

Moving on from my ignorance to more pics! :)

310454_10151238299181383_1329997217_n.jpg

Here's a quick shot of the whole gang together. I live across the street from a 20 unit senior apt. complex....This is now a large part of their view. I dont think they are pleased. They are old too, you would think they would be a little more understanding...

403248_10151238299056383_904597194_n.jpg

Thats right, you are looking at the Pacific Ocean in the background. (I live less than half a mile from the beach) Here in Cali, even my shitty rental can have a million dollar view. (dont ask what i have to pay in rent - its not funny)

Problem is, the seniors cant see that far... lol

271121_10151238298596383_1612195330_n.jpg

Picked up the hood... not sure if i get to call it an improvement or not. CDM is supposed to be doin fiberglass for the 710 soon? or at least i saw the thread and the 610 glass pics.... anyone have the scoop on that? (maybe I should ask on that thread - duh)

Dont know if i mentioned that it was an automatic, though you could have seen the torque converter in the engine bay pic and deduced.

This is probably 1/2 the reason I got the car for free instead of the Guys before me selling it ( or keeping it), and probably the main reason I am not running out to make this a driver instead of the wagon. I KNOW i could swap trannies, pedals, etc, etc.... but i think I have a pretty good plan so hear me out before tearing it to bits.

The 510 is 95% where i want/can afford it to be. Its been my daily and only for 6 years now, and is ready to see more Event time (Auto-x, etc - not a show car) than commuter time. (no input needed there)

I am happy to have the wagon as a fairly boring, stock, daily driver, but I want it to be presentable and predictable. Therefore, I am cleaning up the body enough to deserve a coat of paint, and along the way I am enjoying little things like "shaving" the side markers, and deleting a ton of distracting trim bits. I would like to bring its mechanical systems like suspension, steering, and brakes back to being fully functional and properly maintained. This is where I hope the SEDAN can start to help out...

Here is where all of the forum expertise can really help me out (now that we have sorted out coupe v sedan)...

I am planning on TEMPORARILY (dont freak out) using the 2dr as a parts mule. I would like to pull, rebuild, and swap parts from the sedan to clean up the wagon while still driving it on a near daily basis. I have made the ASSumption that struts, brakes, steering linkage, and rear axles, etc... are ALL interchangeable. If this is the case I can pull from sedan rebuild, place on wagon, then rebuild wagon part and place on coupe (oops i meant sedan) etc....

WHAT, if any, mechanical components are non-interchangeable between a 75 sedan and a 77 wagon?

Engine and tranny need not be discussed at this point(smog etc...), and I know the driveshafts are most likely different lengths due to different trns. I am concerned about things like differnt mounting points for the shocks/leafs on the rear axles, or any design differences in the front suspension, etc....

After completing the Wagon to a state of satisfaction - which will take me until early next year i am guessing, then i will turn my attention to making something MUCH more interesting out of the 2dr. I am NOT a fan of Swapping SR's and KA's etc into 510s, however i COULD be persuaded to go for it on something like this coupe (sorry - slipped again). Though i think I would still prefer an L series, simply to having 3 compete spare motors lying around. (2 L-18s and an L-16) it would also be a MUST to convert it to Manual. Sacrificing the setup from the wagon is not an option. NOT going to daily drive an auto, dont care if its just to commute in a stock car. NOT GONNA HAPPEN - so dont bother wasting the time telling me I am a douche or whatever. That puts me in parts scavenging land, and where i live is BARREN for pick and pull yards (dammit), OR going with a tilton pedal conversion.... (mmmm yummy) Problem is...money like that goes to the 510 first. So at some point I am going to have a moral dilemma on where my priorities lay with 3 Datsuns competing for my meager income.

All that aside, for the 2dr sedan, i am dreaming of perhaps a gutted - low budget track car. Roll cage and all. Something to scare people with on the street and surprise them at the track. I like the idea of franken-paneling over the cut out rust bits with pop-riveted patches, pulling all glass for plexi except for the windshield, cutting out as much weight as I can and flaring the heck out of all 4 wheel wells with maybe ZG bolt on style flares. A rear spoiler and front spook would help things along. id like some serious power, but need to know more about my LSD options for live axles. i know i can probably make a roadster setup work, but finding one is a whole different matter. Not really keen on welding diffs either. I have a friend who may let me "borrow" a set of Comp roadster leaf springs, but I dont know how adaptable they are to the 710. .... again, a good place for Ratsun forum help!

Rear shocks are different, other than that swap away!

The lsd options suck, nearly none. The leaf springs are interesting, and by that i mean flat as hell.

Im diggin your plan so far!

i think you should move tho. To much salt yo, not enough yard for your next datsun lololol

Most of the parts you wont be able to swap are cosmetic, the sedans and wagons share glass even.

Well... Windshields atleast, front suspention should be the same, only slight cosmetic differences, the sedan being an auto my have 4.11s, can you still read the firewall tag?

Tilton reverse mount pedal boxes will NEVER fit in a 710 .. the tranny tunnel is too wide to mount it over the steering column like 510's

the brake pedal was almost touching the tranny tunnel,, no room for a gas pedal, or normal feeling pedal placement.. you would have to make an entirely custom steering column with many pivot points

Your plan sounds like the next 10 years of your life . and 10x more money than you think .. that 2dr sedan needs a medi-vac to the high desert ASAP

• Like 1

ok

Rear shocks are different, other than that swap away!

The lsd options suck, nearly none. The leaf springs are interesting, and by that i mean flat as hell.

Im diggin your plan so far!

i think you should move tho. To much salt yo, not enough yard for your next datsun lololol

Most of the parts you wont be able to swap are cosmetic, the sedans and wagons share glass even.

Well... Windshields atleast, front suspention should be the same, only slight cosmetic differences, the sedan being an auto my have 4.11s, can you still read the firewall tag?

Banner - you havent seen the 2 datsun deep paved "driveway" at the other end of the house...lol...This is a retiree paridise so a lot of homes have an RV PAD. I dont use it (yet) cuz its too far from the garage, there is no exterior power anywhere close, and it is right next to my neighbors frnt yard. Whereas this spot is close enough for work, and is hidden from view from inside my home. It doesnt piss any of my real neighbors off, just the horde of seniors whos complex takes up 2 blocks and requires ALL guests to park in the street not in their parking - so I regularly have handicapped parking jobs blocking my driveway and right in front of my door because Obese American seniors would rather die of Diabetes than walk an extra dozen steps. (pant, pant, pant)

I love a rant once in a while... moving on...

I was warned about comp roadster springs being flat, in fact they got replaced with Aussie mono's by my buddy Will because of the axle wrap issues. (this is how they get to possibly be my problem...)

Did you mean the shocks themselves, or the mounting points on the axles - ultimately what I am asking is... are the entire axles interchangeable? (I know I just have to LOOK - but havent had the chance - yet)

And - At some point on page 1 or 2 of this thread (I have to go back and look) i think someone said that ALL 710 live axles are 3.70 from 75 on???

Not what I was hoping to hear

It came up because the goon's speedo is almost 20 mph SLOWER than accurate at fwy speed, there were parts yard marks on the axle, and I had thought someone had put a 3.7 rear on what had been a 3.9 wagon or something. Since the car is still on 13's and i am not sure how much taller the tires are than stock (if at all) this was my thinking. Maybe the Trans is not original - it could just be a tooth # issue on the speedo gear, (again, havent looked yet)

Other than spring and shock rates, I figured most mechanical bits would be interchangeable - good to get a confirmation from someone more familiar with these, thanx