510 AUTO to MANUAL reverse lights

yenpit

I have searched here, and the other forum, to no avail! I have a 1971 510, that I did an AUTO to MANUAL swap. I figured out the jumper wire for the starter bypass, so iruns great, but I can not locate the two RB (red w/ black stripe) wires for the reverse lights / backup lights. There were two more wires in that sub-harness to that plug (to the inhibitor switch assy), but they were B (black) and BY (black w/ yellow), and I'm not getting anything out of them. What am I missing here?? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The automatic harness should have two pairs of equal length wires. Two Black/Yellow for the starter interlock and two Red/Black for the back up lamps. Because the switch for both was in the same place on the automatic they should be very close together..

Exactly, it should have been simple. Maybe I've got another issue with the wiring, but when I got this car, I was amazed that 95++% of the electrical worked, even after sitting 15++ years in a barn! I think the reverse lights were even working (when it was AUTO), but I can't remember for sure. Grrrrr!!

Both the AUTO and the MANUAL wiring diagrams show RB for the rev lights, all the way down to the switch, but again, it was 2 B and 2 BY (the sub-harness had NOT been opened up, and I have not found any splices).

Its not that simple. I did this. Erm, trying to remember.

Ok I got this now. You have a Relay on the passenger sidewall in the engine bay, near the battery behind the lights. 3 pin. 1 wire will be black/red, the other 2 are red/black.

Simply take these 2 red/blacks and connect them to the reverse switch.

The inhibitor switch has 4 wires, 2 are the starter interlock. 1 is black (ground) and 1 black/red, which the tranny connects to the black when in reverse. This grounded black/red closes the relay allowing the reverse lights to turn on.

On a side note, I completely disabled the starter interlock and didnt connect it to the clutch switch. I can bump the starter at any point (but who does that?) Mainly because there was a starter relay also next to the reverse relay, and I wanted to delete both.

The starter interlock takes power from the black/yellow, and when in neutral/park passes the power through to the other black/yellow attached, This closes the starter relay, which then passes the power from the black/yellow through to the starter.

I can post diagrams if you need any visual help.

Laecaon, you rock! Originally, to get the car to start & run, I had 1 BY and 1 B jumped (but again, no rev lights). When I went to the #2 relay (lower & forward of the other relay), and simply hooked up the 2 RB wires to the 2 RB wires on the rev switch at the trans, I got rev lights! HOWEVER, the car would no longer crank over. I then changed the jumper to BY and BY, and it starts & runs!

Bottom line, the AUTO to MANUAL swap requires the 2 BY wires in the sub-harness (at the inhibitor switch) to be jumped, and the 2 B wires left blank. Then, for rev lights, bypass the #2 relay, take the 2 RB wires at the relay, and connect directly to the 2 RB wires at the rev switch. I assume at that point, that the relay is no longer used, and can be deleted.

datzenmike, I also do NOT see that relay (reverse??) in the AUTO wiring diagram!

(additional search words to help others find this thread: backup back up automatic 5 speed)

• 4 years later...

Hey datzenmike!  I wanted to rehash this, cuz I have learned more info recently, after rewiring a late 1973 2dr!  Every single wiring schematic that I have found......ie Haynes, Chiltons, + a number of other manual brands that I have collected.........are ALL WRONG, for the 1969-1972 510's (I never found any late 1973 schematic)!!!  These schematics do NOT include most of the USA-spec wiring ie emission crap etc etc.  As you know, it makes a world of difference to have a proper schematic, when cleaning up & deleting redundant wiring that will no longer be used!  I have since ordered a complete SET of the hand made color wiring schematics from a guy named Paolo, who was an active member for years on the510realm..........I do not know if he is here on Ratsun!  I think his 69-72 schematics can be found online, but I went ahead and ordered his complete printed & laminated SET, so I will always have at my fingertips!  If anybody would like his contact info, PM me!!

PS this is where my problem of NOT getting any emails notifying me of further posts to this thread or any other!  :confused:  I will have to remember to manually check back here if anybody posts a question or comment!  :sleep: 

Hey datzenmike!  I wanted to rehash this, cuz I have learned more info recently, after rewiring a late 1973 2dr!  Every single wiring schematic that I have found......ie Haynes, Chiltons, + a number of other manual brands that I have collected.........are ALL WRONG, for the 1969-1972 510's (I never found any late 1973 schematic)!!!  These schematics do NOT include most of the USA-spec wiring ie emission crap etc etc.  As you know, it makes a world of difference to have a proper schematic, when cleaning up & deleting redundant wiring that will no longer be used!  I have since ordered a complete SET of the hand made color wiring schematics from a guy named Paolo, who was an active member for years on the510realm..........I do not know if he is here on Ratsun!  I think his 69-72 schematics can be found online, but I went ahead and ordered his complete printed & laminated SET, so I will always have at my fingertips!  If anybody would like his contact info, PM me!!

PS this is where my problem of NOT getting any emails notifying me of further posts to this thread or any other!  :confused:  I will have to remember to manually check back here if anybody posts a question or comment!  :sleep:

Paolo's diagrams are the best.

well worth the money.