Wanted: L20 flex plate Spacers for automatic

EDIT: So I now have a set of B/W and a set of JATCO spacers and pressure plates. I have ran into a bit of an issue. I was hoping that they would be the same size and only the bolt pattern was different. Well, Murphy has struck and everything but diameter is different.

So... I now need a set of L20 spacers for the JATCO automatic transmission. I need to compare the differences between L16/L20 to apply it to the Borg Warner. If you own the spacers and a set of calipers I would be happy with some dimensions PMd to me.

So Im in the middle of a project and I have hit a small wall. Im doing some work various flex plates and now need some measurements or the acutal units themselves. I have a set already, but they are in the car which is a DD. Idealy I would just like to borrow them and return them once Im done since I wont need two sets. If youre handy with a set of calipers I would also gladly accept some measurements to save time and shipping on everyones part. I do not know if the B/W flexplate and spacers are the same on the 3N71B, but I have a B/W so to be safe I would like those components. Here is what I need:

L16 Borg Warner flex plate

Both flex plate spacers (crank to FP and FP to torque convertor)

I will pay for shipping to me, meet up locally, or be willing to send you the dimensions that Im looking for so that you can take them with a set of calipers.

If you are unfamiliar with the pieces Im looking for, here some some photos:

L16-Crank2.jpg

L16-Crank3.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate you looking Banana. And yes, I do remember the parts explosion that is your garage/shed.

So maybe if Im not too cryptic some can chime in with information as well, so here is my full plan:

Against the grain, Im sticking with auto. The car came with a column shift and I think thats pretty damn cool. Since auto drivelines always eat up more HP than their manual brethren, I figure I need as much HP at the crank to make up for it. So, Ive decided Im going to go L20b. Unfortunately there was no L20b when the B/W was in production... it was the 3N71B. Now, if I had a 3N (which is floor shift and why Im not swapping to that transmission) I could just change flex plates and spacers and be done with it. I cant do that...

So after some technical discussion through PMs, I have decided that the best course of action is to re-drill my current L16 B/W flexplate for the L20b bolt pattern. I would also have to re-drill the spacers on each side, but I feel that if all three pieces were re-drilled, that would be terribly dangerous. So, Im going to drill my flex plate and make new spacers at work.

Now as I think about it and look at the L20b spacers posted above, they are different size and now I dont know which I need for my conversion. Can anyone verify that the L16 and the L20 spacers are the same thickness and only the bolt pattern varies? But then again the transmissions Im putting them on are different as well and may require different spacers. Maybe I should just acquire all spacers and just keep swapping until I get a set that work haha.

Comparing part numbers they are much different between B/W and the Jatco 5 bolt. The rear one is basically a large washer to sandwich the flex plate but the front thickness will affect the spacing of the starter ring and the nub on the front of the torque converter has to ride in/on it.

Ok, then I only want the B/W spacers and will just make them the same size, but 6bolt.

Can you compare the JATCO 5bolt vs. 6bolt and see if they are the same size? I want to make sure theres no length differences between to two so that when I make a set based off my L16, they fit when I bolt it up to the L20.

B&W ....in picture ,,,,,,,,,but i have a 5 bolt Japco set still on engine / trans in back,, if you want to compare yourself, i could remove those and send to you as well. .. Cant send today but could have them in the mail Monday..

FAT510001-6.jpg

FAT510002-6.jpg

Sweet! I would take the full B/W set and would love the spacers for the JATCO if you dont mind pulling them (Im sure you would eventually since I dont think you want to run an auto). PM me how much you want for everything and Monday is fine. It doesnt even have to be that quick as I still need to pick up the L20; Im just trying to be prepared for when I do (fingers crossed before Bluelake).

You were going to pay me something for them??? :lol:

We just talked to the orthodontist yesterday, about financing my middle sons that he`s going to need soon ,,,,so ill have my accountant get a hold of you..

Psh I know those costs all too well... Ive needed braces since I was like 7; finally got them at 25. Well if you dont want cash, we can play the swap game again. Im sure theres something in the future youll want that I will have. Worked out for the struts and springs deal.

At least let me pay for shipping.

Then Im going to infer that if an L20b was made available for the B/W the thicknesses would be identical with only the holes being of different quantities. Thanks. I guess all I can do is make some spacers, pull the engine, and see if they fit... its that or wait until I can get a few dimensions from someone with L20 auto spacers.

Yup. Once the 5 bolt is off you will be able to see if they are the same thickness... or perhaps where the nub on the torque converter fits is different. Do let me know what you find and take pictures of them. They are different part numbers... but??? Maybe the 6 bolt simply need to be turned down or something simple.

At a bare minimum they would be different P/Ns based on different bolt patterns... even if they are the same thickness and diameter. I know youre a sucker for specs so I will take plenty of pictures and make sure you get all my findings.

Did you ever ask DAT510 he did show some in the 3rd post ...

i had a set and flex plate but dirttrack was doing the same thing as you so i sent them ,,,to him...and i could only find that torque converter side one ,,,the one i showed you with the tag on it.

Did you ever ask DAT510 he did show some in the 3rd post ...

i had a set and flex plate but dirttrack was doing the same thing as you so i sent them ,,,to him...and i could only find that torque converter side one ,,,the one i showed you with the tag on it.

He asked, but my spacers are in my car.. (They'll be out by this winter, :fu: auto!!)

And I don't think my L16 had anything :confused: :confused:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.