Boaty's '79 King Cab

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take some pics!

I'd be happy with non-broken down original seats... I don't even know what seats fit these things without much work, honestly - I'd kind of like to find something I can just bolt in without spending hours fabbing stuff up. Toyota buckets?

• 3 weeks later...

Heya sorry for the late reply. They look a lot better than no-seats, I cannot imagine it being a hellacious amount of work to make them fit, the least I can do is try, eh?

When we get a meet going hit me up in a PM so I know ahead of time. Pretty difficult to haul seats with a 510.. even with a Yak-Rack, lol.

Heya sorry for the late reply. They look a lot better than no-seats, I cannot imagine it being a hellacious amount of work to make them fit, the least I can do is try, eh?

When we get a meet going hit me up in a PM so I know ahead of time. Pretty difficult to haul seats with a 510.. even with a Yak-Rack, lol.

Can't make it next week I have to work,

Maybe week after that if they have a meet.

Thats more than fine, no rush - I started manager training at work so my schedule is all sorts of messed up at the moment, and it'll be a bit before I get to work on the truck anyways. Next weekend would be rough to make time, going to be at a baby shower and it's also my dad's birthday (he passed shortly before Christmas) so the family might get together to make some celebration of life arrangements, but it's all in the air at the moment. So this weekend would not be good anyhow.

Where exactly do you live, anyways?

• 3 months later...

Guyssss I need motivation!

Somebody donate some motivation, I could use it. Trying to find the time to dedicate to the truck is becoming a pain in my assholes.

I will have the engine in by winter for sure, but with a baby on the way I can't forsee having enough money to get it running and driving by then.
Tires, need to find a 5-speed trans, electrical work, brakes need gone through, need to buy a roadster clutch (200mm flywheel, the L20B was previously in the 510). Not including the miscellaneous shit that I need, such as keys made, interior peices need cleaned up, painted, installed.. need to finish insulating/sound deadening and carpet.

Need more time. Need moar moneys!

Congrats on the baby, my wife is due in December. Motivation..... We all need it sometimes. My trucks been completely apart for three years. My goal this year is motor and front suspension.

Just make a short list of things that needs to be done. Do the simple ones first and take a red maker and cross it off. When your brain see's all the check marks, it will make you feel tingaley inside

Well. I was out at my mom's today helping my brother with his truck... ignition switch was being odd, which ended up being a combonation of bad switch (the plastic moves around inside the metal case), the starter signal wire connector was loose (common Datsun thing, I've fixed so many of these...) and he had no fuel. All at once. How he managed that, I am not really sure. But, it runs now. Datsun deed accomplished.

Now as for the truck this is my semi off the top of my head list.

1. Finish buffing it out. Workin' on something that looks nice is a big bonus for me. I hate working on ugly things. :)
  2. L20B needs to have the oil pan and pickup tube swapped for the truck. Previously had a 510 pan and pickup.
  3. The interior is apart, less the dash - I need to get the seats cleaned up, sound deadening, insulation, and carpet installed.
  4. I need to find a 5-speed. I don't want to put it back together with a 4-speed if I don't have to.
  5. Need to buy a new roadster clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.
  6. Slave cylinder, hopefully master is good. All the hydraulics are toast.
  7. New clutch hose.
  8. Brakes need to be gone through. Prolly turn the drums, new shoes - new rotors and pads, hopefully calipers are in good shape. If not, rebuild.
  9. Check out all the front steering, see how it's doing.
  10. Needs shocks, probably bushings. Probably ball joints and tie rod ends, all the front end stuff looks old and decrepid... would rather replace and 'run it'.
  11. Electrical needs to be gone thru, previous owner teabagged the harness with Zeus' nuts. Super cheesedick headlight setup, had a wire stuck in the fuse box running to one high beam. No clue if they work, or what needs to be done there. Worst case scenario, my brother has an entirely good 79 harness that we yarded out of a parts truck.
  12. Fuel system needs completely gone thru. I have a good tank, just needs cleaned and sealed. New fuel hoses, filter, etc.
  13. I am partial to my Optima batteries, I hate lead-acid's. Always scared they are gonna blow, so I might find me a new optima for the 510 and swap my current yellow-top into the truck.
  14. Then it's all the little shit after it's on the road that I am unaware of right now.
  15. Did I mention it needs tires and wheels? Has stock steelies, which are okay I guess. Maybe some winter tires? I really want Eagle Alloys, or somethin'. I have 15x8 -20's at the house, but I am unsure if they are going to fit. Really don't want the poke, or be forced to stretch tire. 15x7 would be ideal, maybe 15x8 in the ass if they don't poke. Either way, truck won't be slammed, but will be lowered a couple inches in the least.
  16. Mirrors. I hate the big donkey mirrors I have on it now, I was going to polish and re-sell, but one of them got broken. :(
  17. I'm not partial to the tan interiors, really - but I hear they are sort of rare. I also have the tan dash, but it's weathered terribly. I'll probably break the loose shit off, use some bondo to fill it, give it a paint job of a life time, and cover it in a carpet dash pad. Call it good.

Other than that there are plenty of little things I am sure are present that I'm not aware of yet. Never had it powered, so no clue on how everything is electrical wise. But, need to find the time and MONEY to get it done. :/

Farmer - come see me out at my store sometime. I'm the assistant manager out at the Murphy 76/Circle K, I'm always there on weekends unless I'm sick. I won't be there on the 1st though (labor day weekend) - my dad's Celebration of Life is that Sunday. But come on out and say hello!

• 2 months later...

No it's parked out at my mom's at the moment, I have no time to ever get out there and do anything. Babies, work, women, buffing shit. You know.
No motivation to go screw with it in mud or gravel... but I can move it up to my brother's house now that he lives close. And he has black top, and a carport, and beer.

Once I get all these bits done up and ready for transplant I can get the L20B back together and start working on getting it in the truck. Need to get a new roadster clutch first... and a 5 speed would be nice.

I need to re-work the timing chain cover, and I MAY go over the valve cover one more time since I found some holidays. Plus I need to break out the die grinder and dremel tool to do some fine stuff, like in the crevices and such - can't get in there with buffing wheels. I'm too picky to 'forget' about it.

All that's left is to find a ZX water outlet that is in good shape... RANDY... send me water outlet?

And I have to polish the oil pump (May buy a new one.. mine sat out in the weather for a winter.)