Reproduction 510 sheet metal

carterb

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding a NEW body shell, the Classic Mini, MGB, Sprite/Midget & TR6 body shells sold pretty well over the last 10 years, but that "sports car" market was always strong, so the demand was there. I think the same applies for the Mustang, Camaro & 55-57 Chevy's.......the demand was there. I've been involved with the British cars since the early 80's, and experienced much of the growth in that market, as I sold British repair & resto parts. Personally, I see the current 510 parts market in its "younger years", like the British market was in the 80's. Allmusclecarparts taking this step would be a leap ahead for the 510 market, but that is almost to be expected with todays technological advancements in production etc etc. I mean no offense to anybody here or on the510realm, but how many people would be willing to pay $6000-8000 for a 510 body shell? I don't think that the end result value of a completed 510 simply is there..........yet.

Regarding a NEW body shell, the Classic Mini, MGB, Sprite/Midget & TR6 body shells sold pretty well over the last 10 years, but that "sports car" market was always strong, so the demand was there. I think the same applies for the Mustang, Camaro & 55-57 Chevy's.......the demand was there. I've been involved with the British cars since the early 80's, and experienced much of the growth in that market, as I sold British repair & resto parts. Personally, I see the current 510 parts market in its "younger years", like the British market was in the 80's. Allmusclecarparts taking this step would be a leap ahead for the 510 market, but that is almost to be expected with todays technological advancements in production etc etc. I mean no offense to anybody here or on the510realm, but how many people would be willing to pay $6000-8000 for a 510 body shell? I don't think that the end result value of a completed 510 simply is there..........yet.

I think your correct. I've owned Mustangs, Camaros, and just about everything British, and $6K-$8K for a replacement body for a British car, or $12K-$16K for an American Muscle doesn't seem that bad. I'm not sure I'd dive into a 510 shell for that much. The American Muscle cars have the potential to bring $20K+ when restored. The British cars, some will bring $12K-$15K, but the person that restores a British car seems to be a different type of person than one that restores a 510. I can't quite explain what the difference is, but a British car nut will spend a fortune ($30K+) to restore a $10k car. While the 510 Enthusiast generally is most frugal when buying parts. Myself, I have a goal of not spending any more than $10K on my 510 restoration..... Ah Ha moment! There are very few 510 parts you can actually buy new. Compared to the British cars, where you can buy almost ANYTHING brand new, down to the specific bolts and fasteners. Reference back to "510 market in Younger years like the British market was in the 80's". Mustangs too were just getting the repro parts in the 80's. I think the problem is the mind set of the people when the 510 hit the market. It was a Japanese economy sedan foremost, and it has taken this long for the general population to start respecting the vintage Japanese vehicles as anything but a cheap economy throw away car. I know some of you won't understand that point of view, because as 510 Enthusiasts we know a different side to these machines. The other problem that hurts the progression of the 510 market are the owner's themselves. We have to be willing to spend the money for new parts. Once we start spending money on expensive new parts, more parts will be made and eventually the parts will become less expensive to produce, because they can produce larger quantities. Therein also lies the problem that there are far fewer 510 Enthusiast than British car nuts, less people to drive the demand..... Wow! Sorry, I get wordy sometimes.

You nailed it! "We have to be willing to spend the money for new parts. Once we start spending money on expensive new parts, more parts will be made and eventually the parts will become less expensive to produce, because they can produce larger quantities" ..............this is it in a nutshell. We MUST step up, and buy these repro parts, to create our future!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the guys contact details (mobile phone no) somewhere.

If I can remember where the fuck I put it, I'll try and give him a call.

Failing that, from memory he's a member of a pretty big Datsun club in the Aussie city of Sydney.

Shouldn't be too hard to track him down and try and get some updates.

• 1 month later...

In short, no, nothing from this end.

I'm going to email the Sydney Datsun club the guys a member of and see if there has been any progression.

I'm kind of thinking they may have done a cost benefit analysis and decided it may not be cost effective.

Hopefully this is not the case and panels are still going to be made.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Dave Patton at  Futo-fab is going to be picking up the product line.   You will be able to buy this stuff shipped from the USA soon.

Dave Patten wrote:

Given the recent uptick in Datsun 510 interest (like the “Leno” video and recent article in Sport Car Market) this is the right time to announce that FutoFab will start stocking reproduction steel Datsun 510 body panels this Fall.

I will be traveling to Taiwan to meet with the manufacturer in person the end of next week. Currently in production are tail light panels, which will be our first stocking part. These will be on hand in 8-10 weeks. Prototyping is complete on rocker panels, front fenders & hoods. These will be coming next.

FutoFab’s Fall offerings for the Datsun 510 will include:

Chrome plated front & rear bumpers

Bumper brackets

Front fenders with and w/o side marker holes

Headlight buckets w/retainer rings

Hoods

Hood trim

Fender “eyebrow” trim

Lower grill trim

Front Valance

Quarter panels

Tail Panels

Rear Valance

Tail light trim (retainer & overlay trim)

And 240Z bumpers F&R in both chrome and painted

510 trunk floors and the outer drops are scheduled next for production.

Once all the shipping and import logistics are worked out, we will be announcing retail pricing.

We at FutoFab are extremely excited about our growth and this opportunity to further support the Datsun community.

Links to Picture of prototyped 510 steel panels.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3837/dato1600guard.JPG

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3837/dATOSILL.JPG

http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3837/Dato1600Hood.jpg

Further updates will be coming, so keep an eye on our website http://www.futofab.com/ in the upcoming months.

--

Dave Patten

FutoFab, LLC

Dunbarton, NH

Dave@FutoFab.com

• Like 1

this is great news.

However Taiwan is a hot and humid place and hope the stuff isnt too rusty buy the time it comes here.

hopefully the quality will be good as we seen Taiwan or is it Thailand 620 fenders and some say they good others not and they rust out very fast.

But the Mustang/Camero people use taiwan stuff and I guess its Ok.

I wrote to Year One a few years back and they just laughed at me for asking them to build datsun fenders and parts.

another thing to add if sent from new Hampshire. Hopefully the packing will be good as I ordered a hood from nissan by the time it arrived the corners were all dinged up

this is great news.

However Taiwan is a hot and humid place and hope the stuff isnt too rusty buy the time it comes here.

hopefully the quality will be good as we seen Taiwan or is it Thailand 620 fenders and some say they good others not and they rust out very fast.

But the Mustang/Camero people use taiwan stuff and I guess its Ok.

I wrote to Year One a few years back and they just laughed at me for asking them to build datsun fenders and parts.

another thing to add if sent from new Hampshire. Hopefully the packing will be good as I ordered a hood from nissan by the time it arrived the corners were all dinged up

Having used Taiwan panels on Mustangs and Camaros, in my experience, the panels are good... well, decent. They still need to be massaged and worked over, and they are 20 gauge instead of 19 or 18... But when it comes to rust, a lot of people think the black etching primer is good enough to shoot over, when in fact you still need to use a primer sealer over the black etching primer, inside and out.  I've also seen many people just put the panels on their vehicles with no primer or paint!?  I don't know what they expect.  Ignorance I suppose. 

The fenders etc etc can ship via UPS etc, but my guess is that the hoods will ultimately require TRUCK FREIGHT shipping.............too big & flat to package safely AND still make it in under the UPS dimensions.  It will be in everyone's best interest to combine orders for hoods, for example.  When I was in Michigan, I would order 3-4 windshields from ProSource in New England, and then offer them to midwest guys, but they had to pick them up (I even delivered a few over the years on road trips!).  Big flat sheetmetal parts are VERY prone to shipping damage!!

^^ Yeah, I don't understand why manufacturer's don't spend more time packaging there parts better....  There always seems to be at least one corner damaged on repop panels when you pull them out of the box.  When you pull a panel out of box and it's damaged, it puts less trust into the quality of the manufacturer.... Not so good for business.

My guess is that prices will likely be available from FutoFab AFTER he visits the manufacturer overseas, and calculates the landed costs to his shop in New England...............

A new adventure!!  :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...