Reproduction 510 sheet metal

carterb

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The parts as a finished sample should be ready for display @ the Datsun Day i organise each year, in Sydney, late Oct / early nov...

Will definately let you know..

I'll definitely be in Sydney for this with camera in hand!

Rang Mark (one of the guys coordinating the repo panels) and spoke to him for about half an hour today.

He advised me there should be a good display of panels at the Sydney Datsun show in November.

From what I understand, he's still chasing some good quality 510 two door quarter panels for the company making the moulds to use as templates.

It will be a bit of a wait till the finished products are ready, but by the sounds of things, definitely worth it!

I'll be venturing to Sydney in November and will take a heap of photos of whats on display.

Four months to go :(

Hey duraldatsun, I talked to my buddy in Chicago, and the two of you should talk about his NOS rear 1/4 panel. I told him that he'd be everybodys hero, if he supplied the panel to copy!!

• Like 1

Hey duraldatsun, I talked to my buddy in Chicago, and the two of you should talk about his NOS rear 1/4 panel. I told him that he'd be everybodys hero, if he supplied the panel to copy!!

Fantastic! I hope you guys are able to work something out.

--carter

Fantastic! I hope you guys are able to work something out.

--carter

Guys I have marks number and will give him a ring.

Not sure how often he gets on this forum.

From what I understand, he was definitely chasing NOS two door quarters.

I'll post here when I've contacted him.

Cheers

Jason

I would so love to help if I could, but my 510 2 door needs all the panels. I'm waiting to see what comes of this! Only prob is getting all these parts to the US if they do come out good! My poor dime that I got from original owner neighbors needs quarters all around, fenders all around, floors all around, trunk floor, running boards. Honestly I don't know if I bit off more than I could chew. But if repro replacement panels were available, then I'd be on it! As it is, i've only replaced drivers floor with a straight sheet metal fabricated piece.

Quick update.

A 2 door 1600 has been bought and is being shipped to the factory building the stamps for the panels.

They are going to unpick the quarters and do their work fom there.

November is still, at this stage, the proposed date for some samples.

One way to possibly save some bucks on tooling for a 4 door rear 1/4 panel, would be to offer a "short" rear section of the 2 door panel. At that point, it would be considered a "patch panel", but the only because the leading edge at the 4 door rear door jamb would be "flat cut"..........no formed lip. That "patch panel" could, of course, also be used on a 2 door, to simply repair rust or crash damage at the rear section.

Another really great panel would be the 4 door "dogleg" panels, just ahead of the rear wheels, just below the door jamb.

Over the years when in wholesale British parts, I sold hundreds, if not thousands, of "patch panels" for the MGB's & Sprite's/Midget's, once the quality of the panels stepped up back in the 1990's (many of the panels were horrible quality before that!). If you look at this page below (just one supplier of British parts), you can see that they offer full rear 1/4's (#2 factory OEM style), lower half rear 1/4's (#4 which are considered "patch panels") and dog leg panels (#5 also considered "patch panels"). The domestic car market did the same thing over the years..........lots of early production junk, then great companies like Goodmark stepped in, and completely changed the market.

http://www.victoriab...ll.aspx?Page=24

I just hope that the company heading this venture up, allmusclecarparts.com, does it right! I like to think that in todays day & age of 3D computer image generation & design, the finished product will be good, if not great, quality.

duraldatsun & Ratwagon1600, I commend you guys for pushing for this, as it is looooong overdue!!

Guys, just a reminder, DuralDatsun (mark) and the muscle car parts company are driving this.

I'm merely (self appointed) a conduit for information, and photos when the panels are displayed at the Sydney show in November.

All the kudos for this rightly needs to go to them.

Cheers

Jason

Has there been any talk about reproducing the 2 door aluminum sill/tread plates? I've got a set of these NOS (sorry, not for sale, but would consider them for use as templates), and think that repro's would sell well. Heck, I bet the 4 door plates would sell well too!!

This thread really needs to be kept alive, and on the forefront! It is up to US to show that we want, and are willing to pay for, good quality reproduction parts. If this actually happens, it is a huge step for these cars!!

Has there been any talk about reproducing the 2 door aluminum sill/tread plates? I've got a set of these NOS (sorry, not for sale, but would consider them for use as templates), and think that repro's would sell well. Heck, I bet the 4 door plates would sell well too!!

This thread really needs to be kept alive, and on the forefront! It is up to US to show that we want, and are willing to pay for, good quality reproduction parts. If this actually happens, it is a huge step for these cars!!

sill/tread plates for 2door and 4door/goons would be great

Don't know, will give mark (duraldatsun) a call and ask him.

From the looks of things, it appears they may not go for smaller trim items, concentrating on larger panels and the like.

Won't hurt to ask if this is on their radar though.

Here's a link to the guys at musclecarpartsaus, on eBay Australia......................

http://stores.ebay.com.au/musclecarpartsaus/_i.html?_fsub=2488212013

Looks like they've already done a number of panels for the 1200 Ute's, so that ttells me that they are serious!!

Yeah, I typically don't say negative things about companies, but those Alfa Parts/Wolf Steel rear lower 1/4 patch panels are terrible quality. I got a set (3 weeks too late for the car that I ordered them for!), took one look at them, and sold them on eBay for a lose, cuz they were so bad! For someone who simply does not have the funding for the similar Aussie-made panel, they would be better than nothing, but they were so far off in fitment, you would end up with lots of bondo, OR alot more metal re-shaping to get them anywhere near what they should be.

My buddy bought the very expensive floorpans that they sell for an Alfa Romeo GTV, without asking me first, and they were some of the worst patch panels that I have ever seen! We ended up cutting them into little pieces, trimming, welding, hammering etc etc, only to end up with patches that we could have easily made ourselves, with the same results.

Just my 2cents!

Yeah, I typically don't say negative things about companies, but those Alfa Parts/Wolf Steel rear lower 1/4 patch panels are terrible quality. I got a set (3 weeks too late for the car that I ordered them for!), took one look at them, and sold them on eBay for a lose, cuz they were so bad! For someone who simply does not have the funding for the similar Aussie-made panel, they would be better than nothing, but they were so far off in fitment, you would end up with lots of bondo, OR alot more metal re-shaping to get them anywhere near what they should be.

My buddy bought the very expensive floorpans that they sell for an Alfa Romeo GTV, without asking me first, and they were some of the worst patch panels that I have ever seen! We ended up cutting them into little pieces, trimming, welding, hammering etc etc, only to end up with patches that we could have easily made ourselves, with the same results.

Just my 2cents!

I appreciate your 2 cents. I'm a little way from buying any panels but just figured I'd throw it out there. I'm excited to see these Aussie ones. I guess Wolf can always be a last resort. I'll probably just get mine patched at a local shop.

Sorry for the late reply.. been a little busy..

4 door rear quarter panels would be great

The mould will be made to make the 2 door & 4 door panels

I just hope that the company heading this venture up, allmusclecarparts.com, does it right! I like to think that in todays day & age of 3D computer image generation & design, the finished product will be good, if not great, quality.

Don't fear, the company making these make alot of your US muscle car panels.. They have been doing it for years.. Its a major set up.. Very Professional. AND they care about the end product..!!

duraldatsun & Ratwagon1600, I commend you guys for pushing for this, as it is looooong overdue!!

No problem.. Im just trying to help get alot of dormant 510's back on the road...!!

They are looking into all these parts..

Don't know, will give mark (duraldatsun) a call and ask him.

From the looks of things, it appears they may not go for smaller trim items, concentrating on larger panels and the like.

They are looking into alot of the 'small' parts as well..

looks like they also have a tail light panel for a 510

This was the first part made.. Just to see the interest in them.. AMCP had over 250 watchers on the first bid on ebay.. they have sold alot of those panels..

I'm excited to see these parts get made.. It will preserve the 510 culture for many years to come.. !!

(sorry for the ballsup with the multi quote)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just emailed them and this is what they told me:

Hi Eric,

At the moment we only have the tail light panel, but early next year we

should be getting a lot of other stuff - the bonnet, guards, quarter panels,

bars, etc - so check back for updates.

Thanks,