Datsun 720 Project

Hello I'm a new guy, but I've read this forum for a while.

A little about myself I live in Missouri and I am 17 years old with a interest in mechanics.

Anyway here is a picture of the 1981 Datsun 720 with a Z22 engine I've worked on this a little while so I'll show the latest and then in order

28bv1hh.jpg

Now back to when I first started. This truck had a Automatic transmission in it, but I have a wreaked Nissan D21 with a KA24E :thumbup: and a manual transmission that I plan on using

ibzwk5.jpg

The Engine removed

s62d1j.jpg

Cleaned up the cluster dashboard... before

16le42c.jpg

After. Only 88,000 miles on it :w00t:

vipp3l.jpg

Dragster style :confused:

24lqyhe.jpg

A air scoop I plan on adding

2h3o477.jpg

And now with the work on the Z22 engine

amcxsk.jpg

Cleaning up the intake Manifold

2uidag4.jpg

I tested the compression on this and the number two cylinder was leaking from the intake, so I cleaned the valves.

34g4yfc.jpg

After removing the head and cleaning it up and painting it

11t8qhi.jpg

Then another recent picture of the front of the truck

2hy9dl5.jpg

and a front side

sweolj.jpg

On the too do/buy list...

- Weber 32/36 Carb

- Pacesetter Header

- Head-gasket

- timing cover gasket

- new 225/60 R15 tires

- paint semi-gloss Black

Which I don't have the money to buy all that yet :crying: actually I haven't spent a cent on all that has been done on this so far. I actually gained a few cents :devil:

I have a few other pictures so if you want a new angle I may have it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More on the engine oic's

5efhap.jpg

Does the head look like its in good shape?

1zmh2fs.jpg

Here is the 2nd cylinder....... whats your guys thoughts on this

2d7bt7b.jpg

The cylinder walls look good

oqac1h.jpg

This is the 1st cylinder

143g9zb.jpg

and I replaced the oil filter and cleaned the cylinder block

2mdqf6r.jpg

Yeah I was thinking something was bouncing around... The head doesn't have any dents on the number 2 cylinder though. The walls seem to be fine though so I think it should be fine.

Could be detonation the exhaust valve in the number 2 cylinder is kinda whitish. Also the leak test showed that the intake valve was leaking in the number 2 cylinder.

Nice pics! :thumbup:

Good progress especially for your age !

Cylinder #2 does look like detonation ... always better to run a bit rich versus a bit lean :)

Head shape ? = measure with a straight-edge and a feeler gauge to check for warpage. If out of spec it will have to be shaved.

Keep it up

Not detonation iv`e seen pistons look like that when something gets into engine ,,or ,, a sparkplug electrode breaks off...You should check the valves and valve seats in that cylinder very closely ,,in case whatever caused it went through them..

Not detonation iv`e seen pistons look like that when something gets into engine ,,or ,, a sparkplug electrode breaks off...You should check the valves and valve seats in that cylinder very closely ,,in case whatever caused it went through them..

That's a scary thought :blink:

Guess I've been lucky :)

I actually have 2 extra Z22 engines :thumbup: in some of those pics you can see the white 720 regular cab and the blue 4x4 king cab.

And then I have a KA24E engine which I kinda want to make into a racing engine so that's down the road.

But since used engines are so cheap used I may just get a VG30i or something like that since the KA24E has over 200,000 miles on it.

Looks like FOD foreign object damage on the piston top. If the head doesn't have the same marks then it has been changed before you got it.

Hang onto that Z22 block they make great LZ22/23 motors.

Forget the hood scoop it will only look like you put a hood scoop on it. If you want cold air run some drier hose to one of the missing headlights.

That truck is in pretty good shape for an '81. Watch the horizontal bed seams on it. They were a problem area for rusting out.

Looks like FOD foreign object damage on the piston top. If the head doesn't have the same marks then it has been changed before you got it.

Hang onto that Z22 block they make great LZ22/23 motors.

Forget the hood scoop it will only look like you put a hood scoop on it. If you want cold air run some drier hose to one of the missing headlights.

That truck is in pretty good shape for an '81. Watch the horizontal bed seams on it. They were a problem area for rusting out.

Actually the Bed is in Really good shape I'll try to take some oics of it today.

And with the hood scoop you are probably right. But I was thinking that it could be possible to make a Cowl with one of the hoods I'll probably try it on the old hood sometime, somebody had stood on the hood or something because the cross beams are bent and all.

Here are oics of the bed

295epg5.jpg

3149jww.jpg

And then the interior

352175f.jpg

And then one of the seats I want to install this is the passenger side the drivers side seat is powered B)

352qkhw.jpg

And finally the white Datsuns hood I'm going to work on it, to see if I can cowl it. The old hood was kinda bent up and all, I actually carried the hood for a 1/2 mile (we have a 160 acre place) in 100 degree's! Boy what you will do for a Datsun. Even though it looks in bad shape its actually pretty good and its straight!

2vbv8tg.jpg

And to make you all envious here is the shop

2gshbo9.jpg

:devil:

In the future yeah I'll probably need the cowl. Right now its just something to keep me patient until I have the money to work on the engine more.

And whenever I have money I want to install either a turbo'd Nissan Engine or a Chevy Small Block Engine (I have a running Chevy 350 with a Edelbrock Carb and Edelbrock Intake Manifold and also a extra 350 block, but no working transmission).

And thanks for posting that thread! man that is one sick truck!