ruby (510 wagon L20B 5-speed driver build)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

love that sub enclosure man!!!! great idea

Works quite well. It was a challenge getting it tucked. I hate just setting a box in the trunk. You should have seen my 2 12's in my zx. That box was tidy. Replaced the compartments

B/W35. Probably still a good transmission. Never had a problem until about a month ago when I noticed the tranny slipping one morning as I pulled out of my driveway. Well I pulled back in and added just a bit of the only fluid I had. It just happened to be Lucas stop leak. Added about 1/4 quart. Got me to work without problem. Then when I tried to go home, she wouldn't go into reverse. Well I siphoned what I could outta there and added more of the right stuff and was still not able to put her in reverse. I thought about opening her up and cleaning the screen (which I suspect is the problem), then I realized my alternate plan would leave me with 2 extra gears and better fuel economy.

The transmissions changed. The BW had the gear selector on the left and the 3N had it on the right... So there's some extra linkage to get it over to the opposite side. Was available for only a few months and then the floor shift came out.

The transmissions changed. The BW had the gear selector on the left and the 3N had it on the right... So there's some extra linkage to get it over to the opposite side. Was available for only a few months and then the floor shift came out.

Erm you have it backwards?

My B/W wagon had the shifter on the right of the column, unless you mean down at the tranny...

Jackstands arrived, along with a bunch of new rubber! Time to pull an engine and transmission. I want to paint my bay. This seemed like an easy chore with all the guts pulled. Now I'm feeling lazy if I don't shave the battery dent and move the battery. I have a feeling this wagon will always display her beautiful optima under the hood. Just seems wiser this way.

Jackstands arrived, along with a bunch of new rubber! Time to pull an engine and transmission. I want to paint my bay. This seemed like an easy chore with all the guts pulled. Now I'm feeling lazy if I don't shave the battery dent and move the battery. I have a feeling this wagon will always display her beautiful optima under the hood. Just seems wiser this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my engine stand, jack stands, and the will. I've been distracted by a project that largely is going to fund this re-build. 25 tables for a local restaurant. just a few more to finish. Phase next, jack up the car, pull the engine, drop the tranny, shorten the drive shaft, clean out engine bay, treat, cut out, replace all rusty metal, prime, sand, fill, prime sand, paint, clean and paint engine, put in 5 speed and drive-shaft, drop engine in, put all the trim back on, new carpet, and re-install the interior, turn key, drive to gas station. Then drive her until I find a donor ZX for suspension upgrade.

Assessed the situation. If the battery moves it moves later.

Anyone seen or have a pic of the slim arrow style side marker lights on a wagon?

You can build a box and weld into the back floor of the cargo area beside the fuel tank. When the tire is up in place it rests against it. Might have something in DQ about it?

Mike, that is the best solution I've heard.

A teacher I once had, in a lamp design course taught me the futility of trying to hide the chord. He showed me that the best designs in the world consider the chord an integral part of the device. As long as the designer considers the chord, and integrates it into the design, it does not detract from the appearance. And often, attempts to hide or minimize the chord, resulted in a short lived sense of wonder, followed by discovery, then they move on without ever looking at the lamp itself. I feel this lesson applies here. The battery is essential to the function of modern cars and think I want to embrace that. I will focus my efforts on making it look good in the engine bay.