ruby (510 wagon L20B 5-speed driver build)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided I need 6 ton jackstands so I can get to the rust without laying down. I've been waiting for them in the mail for far too long. But, I gutted her interior and much of her trim. Getting ready for body work, I have one question. Should I invest in an air sander? I have an electric angle grinder. I have an electric RO sander. But I also have a good compressor now, and I see all the body shops using air tools. Is this because you should not wet sand with an electric? What should I buy?

oh yeah my vote is for none(GRAPHICS..).... nothing says bad ass like a car the whispers look at me ...NOW...

i painted for years ...and used this mantra in both my sex life and paint work.. tools get u close, but your hand will finish it off...

Okay. So I just uploaded a bunch of pics.

First, my new toy

IMG_3214.jpg

And one of the reasons Rubydoo will need this.

P1180333.jpg

And I'm going to need one of these.

P1180334.jpg

And I don't have a picture yet, but the rockers are pretty much shot. So new metal will need to happen there.

And some pictures of the interior. I took this part serious last time around. All I really wanted was a cockpit that I would not mind being in for hours on end. A road trip kinda car. So we needed tunes.

P1180319-1.jpg

Front vents are great, but so is music!

P1180328.jpg

And custom sub enclosure.

P1180331.jpg

making said sacrificed cargo space more functional. I do plan on doing the same looking box on the gas tank side, perhaps this one will be just a cargo box for jumper cables and tools, or maybe a battery enclosure... Feedback on that one.

P1180354.jpg

Amps needed to happen.

P1180326.jpg

Just a clean interior shot

P1180320.jpg

And the back seat. OG vinyl, perfect. Yes I inherited a responsibility. Time to make good on that.

So...

Time to tear her down

P1180350.jpg

Pulling trim

P1180344.jpg

Check this home-made tool action. Highly recommend.

P1180340.jpg

The modified flathead screwdriver trim removal device, and my banana plants.

P1180353.jpg

She is no longer driving until we have her all sorted with her new transmission and paint

hopefully some zx struts will come my way as well, and new wheels are a definite maybe. My wife loves the hubcaps.

omg carter u couldnt be more correct....ida drove out the summer and painted in the winter ... well since our summers are like your winters...

random question when i vacayed there about 4 years ago they were trying to shut down the inter island ferry......please tell me they didnt succeed

We succeeded and shut that sh*t down! On paper, the ferry is amazing. I love the idea of having a ferry. I hate the idea of having a massive, military subsidized ferry capable of thrasporting a dozen tanks. They were like driving a semi across the country to deliver a slice of cheese. I would support a smaller people ferry.

I remember the ferry getting shut down all the time due to swells when I lived on Maui. The waves would break 40-60' high right outside the Kahului Harbor! Not sure what they were thinking on that one.... Maybe a smaller ferry like the Lanai Ferry to go between islands?

Just found a 510 on craigslist local. 1970, manual trans. But missing tranny and engine. He's asking 500 with wheels. What would I want from this car??? I should be able to get all the hard lines for the trans. I wonder if it would be worth it for any other parts. Any suggestions for a wagon from a four door?

yeah just seems wierd that in 2012 theres no real inter island travel other than aircraf..... i do agree though .. i think the massive cruise liner size was entirely over thought....couple hishgh speed foils would been cool....when i was there on vacation they tried to take it and on the news they showed surfers paddling out swimmers swimming out .it was pandomonium..... they eventually turned the boat around and came back to maui....

So parts car in town helped a bit, but ultimately this car was not salvageable by me. Though it looked like it had a pretty fast life. rotary 510 for a few years at the strip, went through a few rear ends I was told. So I'm back to ordering all the little stuff I may need like side marker lamps. Anyone like the clear lenses?

Main question of the evening: What should I do with the column shifter, now that it will not be a shifter? Perhaps stereo controller? Nah.

Hobart 120 is a good machine,, built a few circle trackers with mine and it`s still chugging away more than 20 years later..

crash u p derby on a oval is hardly a circle track car....lol...if u stopped by once in a moon u wouldnt have to be the subject of my ire bananna

Spercharger clutch, Mad Max style!

Mad_Max_Supercharger.jpg

i loved that in that movie i have never seen a roots style blower ever clutched and it wouldnt even be possible ....since with out your rotors spinning there wont be any air feeding your combustion.... that is true enough right?..

nevermind . nice carb on the mad max car... clearly a prop...a fancy air cleaner with a pully on the front