L16 head on L20

deejay

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I've done this, but it was back in the '70s and gas was better then. The local Datsun dealer said it couldn't be done. It ran just fine and was in my L20B 521. I noticed absolutely no difference. I think the gas was better then? Today I know that the smaller 210 head gives a compression of 9.22

The 210 head has smaller valves and ports so will restrict top end power. Should give good low end torque.

If you have the old L20B head you could put the cam from it into the 210 head. More lift on the L20B cam.

Guest kamakazi620

The A87 head can be open or closed, it will likely work fine on a L20b as long as the block doesn't have flat top pistons, which I would doubt it has unless it's been rebuilt, if it has flat top pistons, then you want an open chamber A87 head.

I have flat tops and a A87 peanut head,Runs fine just have to use 89-92 octane fuel
Guest kamakazi620

The tops are more like a dish for pistons(l20) is there a way to tell if I have an open or closed head while it is on the block still (L16)

No you have to take it off,unless you own a micro camera.