What do you do?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do anything. Occasionally I get a wage job but I always end up quitting because I don't take shit from anybody.

The only work I like is Cable contracts. Selling and installing cable is easy and fun. Plus I'm really good at it. 2-3000$ a week is no problem. Right now I'm short a white truck and 28' ladder so no work for me. I'm broke, not a single dollar broke. If I had 500$ I'd be back to work in a heartbeat, but nobody loves me enough to give me a loan no matter how much I offer in return.

So for now I'm spending time on my mind and body.

Oh yeah. If anyone needs any cheap freelance Photoshop or Audio work let me know. I'm that guy. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

print production artist (i set files up for press), graphic design and web design. my latest project was recreating emblems for the side 1/4 panels for my 210. working that 3d program was like looking at a simulator for an airplane. managed to make a file and had them printed in plastic. just gotta paint them now. and i don't know how many other females there are on here but i am one of them :)

printed.jpg

and if anyone was wondering how they turned out here they is all chromed and painted!

210emblems_done.jpg

i posted this in the 210's Unite thread but in case none of you in this thread have seen them here they are. and now i'm thinking of relearning to do castings (i have molds of the emblem i had printed).

and if anyone was wondering how they turned out here they is all chromed and painted!

210emblems_done.jpg

i posted this in the 210's Unite thread but in case none of you in this thread have seen them here they are. and now i'm thinking of relearning to do castings (i have molds of the emblem i had printed).

ladies-man.jpg

now that thats out of the way, whats it run to have a custom one off made? those look really good!

ladies-man.jpg

now that thats out of the way, whats it run to have a custom one off made? those look really good!

Ha! Yes, it's a lady ^_^ You talking about a print from the 3D plastic printer? I paid $30 per print so $60 total. My friend only charged me $10 for painting the black outline on the lettering. Didn't charge me for the chroming cause he threw it in with another one of his projects. Unless you or someone you know can create a file to print from that can be expensive. They wanted $100 to redraw the type in their 3D program and I said hell to the no. I had already drawn it (they only needed to import my file :blink:) so I did the render myself in Maya. I have decided to learn how to cast from the mold I've got but I can't say how much per emblem until I buy materials. Once I cast those they'll only be spray painted. I'm going to have my friend give me a refresher course on casting as soon as he has time.

210emblems_done.jpg

wow those look great! what 3d program did you use?

Yup used for animation as well as modeling like the emblems I had made. My friend sent my .stl file to his friend with the 3D printer. They use Maya and Rhino. Some other programs that can be used that I know of are SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Think3 and a few others. Mainly if you can save out a .stl file you should be good. I'm a complete rookie with Maya. I downloaded the trial version to use to make my emblem. I don't have over $3000 to spend on that and certainly didn't make sense for a one time project even if I did. With the help of a couple of friends that use it I was able to get the emblem created. Took me a week to do something that should literally takes less than 2 minutes :blink: But gosh darn it I was going to get me some emblems! :) There's actually a really good video on CNN that shows the capability of 3D printing. Cool stuff!

http://www.cnn.com/v...-3d-printer.cnn

cool. i'm actually quite familiar with 3d printing. I have rhino and used it for school projects, but i can't believe i never thought of using it for emblems. thanks for sharing. you just gave me some great ideas. :thumbup:

Yeah the second I heard about 3D printing that was the first thing that popped into my mind. Sharing is caring :) Haha! But really I thought some other folks would like to know of the process especially since finding emblems for the less popular models,like my 210, is so darn impossible. And it appears there's quite a few folks on here that use modeling programs. With this technology you can make all sorts of things for your car. I read Jay Leno has a 3D printer and he pays someone to make those elusive parts for his classic cars. If you're good with modeling think of all the missing pieces and parts you can have printed up. I geeked out for a second, sorry, but I'm still fascinated by the process.

Just breaking balls, we can do it again for fun lol.

I was a plumber/sprinkler fitter but left it to become a auto mechanic and then a industrial mechanic. Actually dont want to do any of these things, maybe one day I'll find a profession that I dont wake up dreading.....

Residential plumber?...ie...new home construction....?

Hot water tank/check valve query

Currently a plumbers helper soon to be aprentice. Unless I find a different job... which i might. I want to be a pilot. I even have my lisence but the commrcial certifications are holding me back cause I can't spend the 15 grand needed to make it there. So I'm lookin to get a job refueling airplanes which will get me better oportunities to finish my crtifications

anodizer/electroless nickle operator/racker/annoyance :rofl: i'm one of the few people at my shop that knows how to do almost everything, and is also willing to do it. i think thats the only reason they put up with me. the upside is i get to play with chemicals all day, i can make aluminum into almost any color(and multiple colors, tho i'm not quite as skilled in that area yet), and theres a lot of car guys to bullshit with. the downside is they'e all toyota and jeep guys, and i can only go so long listening to how awesome it would be to put a 2j into a toyota minitruck, or how badass a lifted jeep is(cause nooooooobody's ever done that before :yawn: ) before i feel the urge to hijack a computer and start running thru dattos on craigslist an google images :thumbup:

Mechanic I spose. Sort of a jack of all trades-master of none. I grew up in a Machine Shop and can use a mill, lathe and even some cnc machines. I can stick, wirefeed and gas weld. I do paint and autobody, interior upholstery (installations not sewing) and a myriad of other things. Fell into a head mechanic position with a school district servicing their bus fleet for a few years. Diesel and air hydraulic systems were an everyday thing. Auto glass repair and installation. Can kinda do it all.

2011-07-11_08-37-28_711.jpg

Wife and I moved to Maine in July. Now I am a mobile repair technician and work on Powered Industrial Trucks (forklifts for the layperson)

2012-09-06_08-35-51_7.jpg

Finally have a job with government style benefits and union wages.