What do you do?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, there's a lot of us machinists on the board... There's a couple more on here that I know of that haven't posted yet either. Currently a machinist full time while doing a bit of graphic and web design work on the side. There's less cuts on my fingers doing websites so it's a little more fun for me (and I can always take on clients if anyone is interested).

Eventually with my machining skills/experience/machine usage I hope to start a small custom parts business. Small runs of custom Datsun parts :D

You're originally from Finland?

I'm a full-time Ratsuner. My previous jobs were limiting.

I noticed your post count went way up in the last months...

Li'l Abner

Very good or you're over 50.

I Just Got Out Of Highschool

Studying To Get A Fancy Job As A TIG Welder

Had A Partime Delivering Meat To Restaurants

(Got Free Food All The Time)

Laid Off 6 Months Later... Probly Out Of Buisness By Now..

8b598461.jpg

Otherwise I Mow Lawns Cuz I'm Mexican :D

Guest Rick-rat

In the Army after high school, Was logging for 15 years after that, then worked for government for 27 years as crane mechanic, crane operator, and crane operator supervisor. NOW

RETIRED

I am self employed, I pressure wash roofs/houses/concrete.decks/ect. for a living, I have been doing this for over 17 years now, before that I had 2 other jobs for 7 years each, both driving forklifts, I was able to drive my car backwards 60mph.

DO NOT TRY TO DRIVE YOUR BACKWARDS 60MPH, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS AND YOU COULD DIE.

I drove them forklifts like a crazy man, I was warned a couple times, but they finally left me alone, as I could do the work of more than one driver without damaging anything, if I had ever had an accident, it would have been a bad one, but I got out of it before that happened.

Network Engineer

Military 4 years where they trained me to break things

Contractor for the Military for 3 years where I was able to fix things the military broke

Finally working for a corporation where I get to do the breaking and fixing.

All was as a Network Engineer. I LOVE what I do.

That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.

you're a weird guy ace

ahh crap. someone beat me to it.

Edited by skyblue521

Research Scientist in biomedical engineering, although technically the job title is postdoctoral fellow. Basically I try to grow new body parts, although a large part of the job is technical writing. I do get to play with some really cool stuff though. Before that: bouncer, drove a forklift, sold paint, and worked on a loading dock.

Guest kamakazi620

I Just Got Out Of Highschool

Studying To Get A Fancy Job As A TIG Welder

Had A Partime Delivering Meat To Restaurants

(Got Free Food All The Time)

Laid Off 6 Months Later... Probly Out Of Buisness By Now..

8b598461.jpg

Otherwise I Mow Lawns Cuz I'm Mexican :D

Hahahaha I mowed my friends(hes mexican) lawn in canby last year,When i was done i told him evrybody came outside their houses and was staring at me,I said you neighbors think your Rich!!! he says why?? I say cuz You have a White Landscaper......
  • Like 1

Man, there's a lot of us machinists on the board... There's a couple more on here that I know of that haven't posted yet either. Currently a machinist full time while doing a bit of graphic and web design work on the side. There's less cuts on my fingers doing websites so it's a little more fun for me (and I can always take on clients if anyone is interested).

Eventually with my machining skills/experience/machine usage I hope to start a small custom parts business. Small runs of custom Datsun parts :D

I was in the Navy as a CSAR for the first 7 years, then I started to get sick a lot and went to another A school to change my rate since I couldnt fly anymore. I then got stationed at a reserve center for 3 years where I did all of the IT and website work. After I got booted for medical issues I worked as a Network Engineer/Systems Manager and Webdeveloper for 4 years before opening up my own Webdesign Co. I still work on sites but I dont go looking for work since I have a few clients that I work part time for on salary. I shut down my old Webdesign Co years ago, and gave all my clients to my brother in law. Now I just do my part time work and a client here and there. I like it this way, it keeps me busy in spurts. I think in Oct. I am going to go cold turkey and just not do it anymore at all.