putting an OEM tach into a B210

kinetict

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1200 im pretty sure doesnt have a tach diagram for a b210. it looks like that tach came from a different year B from yours. that looks like a later b210 and an earlier tach. i know one of the wires goes to - on the coil for the rpm reading and the others i have no idea about. i wasnt able to find much about an about an oem tach for mine. all i know is that they switched to the rectangular plug in 76. the individual wired ones are from 74-75.

All B210s have the tachometer wiring right there in the dash. So no cutting needed, and no new wires need to be run out to the coil. What year is your B210.

He's probably got a '75 or '76, he's got the early style heater controls, but I don't believe the '74s had the trip odometer as an option.

He may need to run a wire to the coil still. I installed the tach on my '74 and I did have to run a new wire to the coil. However, with the caveat that I didn't tear apart the harness to see if the wire was taped back or anything.

I don't believe the '74s had the trip odometer as an option.

good call. i forgot that little "option". wow there was such a time where trip odometers were optional. and carpet and variable speed wipers for that matter.

expensive cars are mandatory? or those options listed?

Look at it this way, a 1975 B210 started at $2849 dollars new, and was one of the cheapest cars available. The Federal minimum wage was $2.10 an hour, so a B210 cost 1357 hours of work.

Today one of the the cheapest cars available is the Nissan Versa Sedan at $10,990 dollars. The Federal minimum wage is $7.25 dollars an hour, so a Versa will cost 1515 hours of work, or about an 11% increase. This 11% increase gets you A/C and airbags, so not such a bad deal.

Obviously, I oversimplified a bit here and totally thread jacked also. :thumbup:

expensive cars are mandatory?
Yes. You cannot buy an inexpensive car now. High price is mandatory. A 1971 Datsun didn't have carpet as mandatory. Find a car like that today. They exist, but you probably can't find one as the dealers don't have them on the lots. Special order only.

That Versa would be close it if didn't come with air conditioning and CD-stereo as standard equipment. Yep, it's mandatory to load them up and charge the customer for it. And almost all the customers want it that way. Almost no one today is poor like we were in the early 1970s. We walked to the grocery store. Mom rode a bicycle cause we coudn't afford gasoline. We had a Chevy but didn't use it every day.

well i cant say i'd wanna buy a brand new car without carpet. depending on the climate, a/c could be an option for me. if i lived in vermont i'd most likely only NEED a/c less times than i can count on one hand, if that much.

Ok, so the 1976 has all the tachometer wires, including the coil wire, right in the dash harness

The 1974 and 1976 tachometers are wired exactly the same, same wire colors, just different connectors.

All you gotta do is use short adapter wires to go from the round connectors of the early tachometer to the pin connectors of the '76 harness. Look for a 6-pin connector with BW, B, R, RW and RB wires. One pin not connected.

Yes, that is how our 1200 tachometers work, but the B210 units here connect in parallel just like an aftermarket tachometer. The signal wire is brought into the dash wiring even if it didn't come with a tachometer originally.

1974: signal is a single wire in the dash harness

1976: 6-pin connector in the dash harness

1976 CALIFORNIA: signal wire comes from the electronic ignition black box (which is under the dash)

• 3 months later...

Well i got my dash off and than realized i was in over my head. the drawing on 1200 make zero sense to me. can anybody help me out?

7484013842_2fe9d680e5.jpg

7484011750_0a6072c4f1.jpg

7484008332_69fd5f595d.jpg

can i splice the tach wires to this group? it wasnt attached to anything.

how did you get the dash off. i needa get my dash off also to replace and reconect burned bulbs for the speedometer

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys, but I have to revive this thread.
I am in need of advice/help.

So I am trying to install/wire my EOM tacho and I have an extra wire (B&W) that I have no idea where it goes.
I follow the FSM and the 1200 datsun wiki site and connected the wires as follow:

- Red wire to the first pin slot (lower left)
- black wire to the second pin slot (lower left)
- black and white tot he last pin slot (upper/right)
- The last two wires are for the lights 4th and 5th pin slot (upper left)

Lights work, but tacho does not :(

As you can see in the pictures I have an extra black & white cable.
Anyone knows if I need to do something with the extra b&w cable?
Any suggestions or comments of what am I doing wrong?

BTW: I am trying to install the tacho to a Cali car.

2F65FEC3-08F8-465F-B8E9-CE903487070F_zps

F9DB5C9B-3A3F-445C-B1AA-09206C008A1F_zps

715D6022-9244-4E11-9761-DB780C48B198_zps

7D04F8DF-A197-4F78-A66A-DED443E5559F_zps

Where did the Tach come from? Some of the overseas TACHS are wired differently.

My overseas tach has the same wiring as yours. I took the black and white off the + side of the coil and connected that to one of the b/w wires coming out of the tach. The other tach b/w wire coming out of the tach I ran back to the coil.

I hope this helps.