F-10, Fugly & no love till now......

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave would know - that truck looks much better w/o the rising sun decal. How'd you get yours off - heat gun?

As far as buffing goes, yes rubbing too far is part of it but so is the compound. don't use stuff that's too aggressive & its less likely to burn thru, the Meguire 105 & 205's are very fine compounds not like "NU-Finish" or "paint restorer" products so less likely to have a problem, I also use a mist bottle of water to keep the compound active & from "pasting" up too soon.

Another unsolicitated vote to keep it yellow and woodgrain. As much work as t would take to take off and clean up (sanding the transition and such) you could just try to find another set of decals. Or just have some made; couldn't be too hard.

What size are the rims?- I don't have F10 caps, but I have a set of 510 bullseyes. I just sand blasted them to get all the surface rust off ... They're ready for some paint or a quick buff for some shine.

It is too hot to be working outside, so I thought I'd post a pic of what happens when you have more Datsuns needing attention than you do time and energy. The weeds are growing faster than I'm moving. At least I don't have any woodgrain to worry about removing or leaving. But a nice strip of mahogany over my rust holes might look better than the way it is now.

7523893000_7925efd024_c.jpg

Len

To remove my decals, I tried the boiling water that wholesale detailers use. As promised it did not damage the paint, but it didn't help with my decals. They came of with painstaking slow speed if peeling them off a mm at a time. Without heat or hot water.

Also there were three kinds of decals. First type peeled off fairly easy. Second type came off with some slow work. Third kind was very difficult and kept breaking the vinyl, they came off in little pieces and took two spots of paint off with them.

For the old woodgrain, just try it and see what happens.

The best way to remove the vinyl stickers is with a heat gun. Hair dryer will work in a pinch.

I vote for keeping it as well.

There's a thread on pirate4x4 about the best looking Japanese cars and a guy that says he designed the stickers for a cali dealer back in the day. Small ass world we live in. :lol:

Any votes for the Datsun F-10?:homer:

1976_datsun_f10-pic-28405.jpeg

when I worked for them, they had me design a "Woody" stripe kit for them. I don't think they sold a one.

I am this guy posting a pic of your ride...

Like this?

P1050051.jpg

Fuck Me! Someone actually bought the option!:laughing::laughing:

My boss was an old geezer who was reminiscing about the old woodies. I can't believe anyone actually ordered the thing.

Did a kit for the 610 as well.

Hope you don't mind all the crossposting :lol:

thats too funny, small ass world is right. So the woody is a dealer option not a factory huh....maybe the guy still has some old woody stock - dont take that the wrong way :)

it was a factory option if it appeared in a corporate ad
Not necessarily. Nissan Motor Co. in U.S.A. put all kinds of badges, emblems and decals on the cars AFTER they arrived in america from the factory. So there were Factory stripes, but others were Distributor stripes or Dealer stripes.
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering through a old junkyard that is near here, full of old classics and some car's I've never even seen or knew existed, had a few datsun's too, but I was walking past a pile of parts and right on top was a F10 grill I wasn't sure if that's what it was but after looking at pictures, that is for sure what it is, and it was Immaculate too, might have to go back and take it for safe keeping or to sell :D

maybe i'll keep working on the polishing of it & then she'll get excited & want it because of the rarity :thumbup:

actually I'm torn, build the 383 waiting in the garage for the satellite or assemble the dash, door glass, gas tank, etc... or polish the F10, I think I'm at the analysis is paralysis phase....

Oh yeah, the F10 rendering is amazing, it actually looks pretty cool & if it came out that way, even better.......... I like the Yamaha logo - maybe a line drawing of my SRX underneath it too.

Nopar - currently that's accurate unfortunately.

I did fiddle with the F10 again today, got the brakes back to working, thought I'd have to go buy the only rear brake adjusted in existence - ebay for $16 bucks! But got lucky & used the MAPP gas bottle to heat up the frozen adjuster, thats a weird looking part.....

mk0uAfrhMmdfXPAuPHaVrxQ.jpg

had to mess with the electric fan, it had been smushed into the rad a tiny bit, enough to make the fan hit if it came on which it currently isn't , another thing to fix - I guess free cars its to be expected.

does anyone live in the portland area close to the pick N pull in S. portland & maybe would be willing to go over & scrounge an F10 they have there for a few pieces - I'd be happy to pay for time & parts if anyone was willing to go check it out. They wont even tell me if its a coupe, sedan or wagon - I need a taillight (left) & a few other things too.

Let me know, Thanks .

I too have a F10 Sportwagon and if I can ever figure out how to put pics on here...I will do so! Mine is BLUE with a beat to shit white vinyle top! Runs GREAT ( 130K ACTUAL) and finding parts is a BEAR!! I need a couple of small items to make it "perfect", just found a wheel so that I'll have a spare! They seem to have a lot of them in England and they call them Cherry's! Send me an email and I'll give you my ph# so's we can compare notes! Fun lil car!!