Zerow's 610 4-door

zerow

So, after 100 or so posts, I realized that I have not introduced myself, nor I have I really posted any pictures of my project, soooo....

My name is William. I am a 30 year old Iraqi War Vet, who got injured in Iraq. It didn't stop me from being the best I could be, and I would probably still be in the Army, but the injury prevented me from any further promotion(s) (I got to SGT E-5), so I was medically retired from service. I came back home to California and started back working on my 4 door 610. My father bought the 610 back in 1981, and I got it when I was 14. Drove the crap out of it, parked it, and tried to figure out it's fate. Now the idea is to go for a retro-restore: L20B with sidedraft SUs, 4 speed automatic transmission, and some modern creature comforts like Infiniti G20 seats. It's a slow process, but it's coming along.

Some Pics:

100_0859.jpg

I put in the stock springs from my parts car, as the ones that I had from High school were just too low, no real room in the fenderwell if I was to take passengers)but this Super Swamper look had to go. It scared Geo Metros (I could fit one in the wheelwell):eek:

100_0865.jpg

I put a couple hours in on her yesterday, cut some springs the old fashioned way, and got the drop I was looking for, just enough to see over the top of the rear tire. :D It has some blown shocks, so I figure the new shocks will give me some height back (a 1/4 inch or so)

She's staged to go to my friend's house for bodywork sometime next week. I will be getting over there from time to time to get more updated shots.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix

Good to know body work has begun.

Like the lower stance. How much did you take off your springs???

Keep us updated with pictures.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

sweet its about time we got more pics of your baby bro lol and yeah the mile high look had to go :P i wanna drop mine maybe a 1/2 inch in theback but thats about it i like the rims man what are they off of i can see some of the original yellow ...strange looks awful familiar oh wait its the same color as mine lol

Good to know body work has begun.

Like the lower stance. How much did you take off your springs???

Keep us updated with pictures.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

3 1/2 coils and even I've got to say that I could have stood with 3 coils total, but I am still getting your old springs, right??

Guest jaimesix
3 1/2 coils and even I've got to say that I could have stood with 3 coils total, but I am still getting your old springs, right??

Looks good. 3.5 coils worked fine. Yes, I got the springs, I will use the ones I got from AU, I will keep the springs for you. Long springs huh??? how did you get them off, I had to disengage the axles....stuborn springs!:cool:

uh' date=' where does it say it has begun?

he says it's staged to go to his friend's next week ...[/quote']

I can tell work is in progress already. The tail lights, J lines, mouldings and all miscellaneous parts have been taken off. Those are preliminary steps for any quality body work. ( some guys do not take lamps/grilles/etc off for painting/body work, which I think is terrible body work/painting process )

William, keep us informed !!!

Jaime._____________________________________________________

sup! what's zerow stand for?

I guess I am still young enough to say this one: It is the only real word that I can spell with the 5 letters of my last name. I tried it when I was 7 years old, so I keep it on the back burner when I need a good alias. That, and my Army nickname is usually taken by every forum I come across. 'McGuyver'.

Looks good. 3.5 coils worked fine. Yes, I got the springs, I will use the ones I got from AU, I will keep the springs for you. Long springs huh??? how did you get them off, I had to disengage the axles....stuborn springs!:cool:

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Talk about stubborn axles, the springs were super stock, it caused me to have to stretch my brake lines to extract them. It was insane. I cut one coil at first and still had only a 1/2 inch drop. I said, go for the gold and I knocked off another 2 1/2 coils, and this is what I got. With coilovers up front, I can adjust it so it's level. And if I don't like how low it is in the back, then a couple of cheap hockey pucks can die for the cause.

Guest jaimesix
So, after 100 or so posts, I realized that I have not introduced myself, nor I have I really posted any pictures of my project, soooo....

My name is William.....

100_0859.jpg

William. Seems like that is the stock height with the stock springs. Perhaps Datsun/Nissan heard about global warming back in the 70s, and with due advance notice decided to prep their cars for Artic/Antartic meltdown:eek:

Here a pix of my car with stock suspension as I drove it for a long time.

2328429_23_full.jpg

Definitely some lowering in order.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

looks like the lh rear 1/4 took a nasty hit

are you gonna fix or just get another 1/4?

Not the 1/4, but the sheet metal between the taillights. My dad decided not to look over his shoulder while backing out one day and hit a telephone pole. I hammered it out to make it look fair while in high school, but it remains that way until it departs for the body work. I have the new piece inside the car, ready for welding, as well as the trunk lid to match up the body line. The lid lines up with the rear quarter, but obviously not the metal for the lights. I will keep it as a spare, in case there is ever a moment of "like father, like son..."

• 2 weeks later...

So now I'm suffering sedan withdrawals... My 4 door left for her bodywork appointment. After a couple of beers, and some serious "discussion" with my buddy doing the bodywork, we came up with a course of action. And a timeframe. 4-6 months isn't all too bad for the bodywork (he does it as a side hobby, not full time)(my buddy "doesn't do paint work") Okay, fine, I know someone else who does...

Anyhow, so she's on her way, has a nice view of the valley from my buddy's backyard, and will be underway sometime this week.

keep a good supply of beer in the house

because, before you know it, 4-6 months turns into another 4-6 months

two of my rides are in a current perdicament :(

Yeah, thanks. I think this is going to go down the same path as well.

So I get a frantic call yesterday: Apparently, I have some rust under the body of the car.

I go and check it out, and it doesn't seem as bad (to my opinion) as it could be, but how much rust is too much rust? This is really just surface rust and not rusted through.

So I get a frantic call yesterday: Apparently, I have some rust under the body of the car.

I go and check it out, and it doesn't seem as bad (to my opinion) as it could be, but how much rust is too much rust? This is really just surface rust and not rusted through.

like i said bro surface is one thing just buzz it down and paint :P

• 1 month later...

I went and visited ol' girl on Saturday, brought beer and snapped some shots:

100_0977.jpg

100_0976.jpg

You should have seen the ripple in this fender, now what ripple?

100_0973.jpg

So far so good. I would love to be ready for JCCS, but I'll settle for "It will be ready when it is ready"

gorgious work would he be willing to do my hood and valance :D

I don't think he wants to see another 610 for a long time. A half inch of Bondo on a hood will turn any body guy against the Datsun establishment.

• 4 weeks later...

Patience, gentlemen, patience.

I'm trying to teach this to little zerow.

Chris about 2/3 the way done. Rear metal, hood, pass. side rear door and roof are all that remain. I have plenty of time, but, I too am getting excited :D