Back to the future -- Datsun 620

w_datsun_a

1, diggin the thorough job youre doin on cleanin up parts, i need to stop being lazy

and do so myself.

2, awesome to see you pulled off the ball joint conversion, and so fast too.

what did you figure out in regards to post #23 (lca gap, caster adjustment arm)?

was the 280zx mc a direct bolt in, and what size was it

and i like the stance with what youve done and with those wheels.

Thanks!  The conversion seemed to take forever.  I actually ended up ordering a set of BEEBANI custom LCA that he modified to try to help me over come some of the problems I was having.  In the end I ended up using the Nissan D21 LCA with spacers.  It ended up fitting fine.  So every part except the UCA (which I got from BEEBANI), the bolt holding the UCA on (was reused from the Datsun) and the caster arm is now from a Nissan Hardbody.  The caster rod ended up being a real pain.  My original was strange and not like the newer ones that bolt to the LCA.  Instead it had bushings on each end and was threaded.  Here it is:

3B84272B-C8DB-4D6D-B005-C7A657C4DC2E-409

The angle for the new caster arms to the existing bracket just wasn't working.  I was convinced I would have to have a new bracket fabricated.  At this point I should add that through my junk yard wanderings I managed to pick up a nice selection of caster arms.  However, after taking it to the shop I was going to have it made at the owner thought he could use one of the ones I picked up at the junkyard.  It just needed to be lathed down a bit and threaded.  Below is the end that was able to bolt into the LCA:

3bdea04c.jpg

The 280zx MC did bolt right in, and if I remember correctly it is a 15/16.  

Next step is to save up a little and do some rust repair and maybe a new exhaust.  I should add that BEEBANIs UCA and LCA are really nice and amazing quality.  Not to mention he was spot on for answering questions and helping out.  Big thumbs up to him.  If I remember I will try to snap some more detailed pictures when I get down to the truck.  I also forgot about these pictures.  When I was installing the new (used) fenders I needed some new rubber for the inner fender.  I was able to snag a free bike tire tube.  I then cut it in half, then half again and split it down the middle.

2E2B7577-2DD6-4832-B56C-C43A11AEF6C8-398

D81F9126-CD1A-43B9-BD1F-B52B433B897A-398

E326BF05-92F4-4B3B-AB69-8356AC82D459-398

Ended up working really well!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!  The conversion seemed to take forever.  I actually ended up ordering a set of BEEBANI custom LCA that he modified to try to help me over come some of the problems I was having.  In the end I ended up using the Nissan D21 LCA with spacers.  It ended up fitting fine.  So every part except the UCA (which I got from BEEBANI), the bolt holding the UCA on (was reused from the Datsun) and the caster arm is now from a Nissan Hardbody.  

Ended up working really well!

so you ordered a set of lca's from bee but ended up using d21 lcas?

so you ordered a set of lca's from bee but ended up using d21 lcas?

Yeah.  The BEEBANI LCA were originally designed for coil overs so the didn't have mount points for caster rod or torsion.  He tweaked it a bit for me but in the end it worked out easier to get the setup I currently have.

yeah i wanted his lcas but knew they were for coils/bags i think i asked him if he could make em for shocks but i think he was a busy bee cuz he didnt get back to me

The D21 LCA are super cheap and easy to find.  It is probably the easiest way.  Just trying to get things lined up they didn't look quite right until I got everything in place.  Then it all fit.  I was just really having problems trying to see/get fit my stock caster rod which in the end I had to use a different one. 

Here are a few close ups.  The original caster rod didn't bolt directly to the LCA as you can see the new one does here:

448A7807-B4A0-43C9-B528-0AB018A7610F-591

Also, the new caster rod that I used needed to be lathed a bit and threaded.  This should give me a lot of caster adjustment if needed.

25FE55AC-159F-48F8-89B4-7A89CA6C6096-591

Finally, as a early Christmas gift to myself....I got a bit tachy:

BC0697F8-9A72-498C-83E9-7F80737141CA-591

I got a pretty good price on it.  Just needed to change the light bulbs and I was good to go.  Anywho....I wish everyone a merry and SAFE Christmas!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Been a little while since I have had an update.  I was able to put some miles on the truck which has been great and I got to meet some nice people at the Olympia meetup.  But on to some pictures...

I was able to find a pair of decent 720 KC seats at the junkyard and I thought I would install them and see how they would fit.  Mostly a "bolt-in", and there is a little less room than with the bench seat.  However I sit lower, and the seat is a little more comfortable overall.

29CF0DC2-E25D-40F8-B6C4-4CE04DFA7CFE-174

I the valves were adjusted, the valve cover painted.  While I was at it I painted the air cleaner and air pump filter case.  On a side note, pontiac engine blue is REALLY close to the color of the air cleaners.

3C7D4B80-6A93-46D3-A836-DA500BC8AA68-174

7A4755BF-5656-4058-988D-4857125FAE5B-174

FF51D6F7-6691-408A-901E-52A4F1777D07-174

Nice progress.  I'm bummed that we didn't end up seeing you at the Oly meet.  We must have showed up shortly after you left. 

Hopefully we'll see the truck again at a meetup in the near future though :thumbup:

Darn!  Well the GF and I had planned a bit of a road trip so we left a bit early and went up through Poulsbo, Bainbridge, Ferry and back to Redmond....I don't think the truck has been driven that much in a single day for 10+ years....and it ran great!

Total fail for lack of pictures but the rubber hose between the metal gas neck and tank was leaking gas rather profusely when I filled it up with gas.  So I took it out and replaced the hose and clamps.  Unfortunately not only was the hose shot, but the metal filler neck was rusting out also.  I was able to clamp the hose up higher, so its fine, but I am now on the lookout for another neck.  :)

Growing tired a sloppy shifter I ordered new bushings, pin, retaining clip and the little cup bushing.  I was down at the Nissan dealer getting my Xterra serviced and I thought I would ask the parts department if they had the parts. It turns out they still could order them and in ~2 days I had the parts!  It is SO much quieter now.  If there is interest I can dig up the Nissan part numbers.

• 4 months later...

Even more of a lack of updates!  I have pretty much been driving the truck a lot lately.  Unfortunately my starter solenoid decided to crap out on me. Soo....

6D5B726B-C8F1-422C-B919-F3DB63C89D89-208

That cured the starting problem, but not my rear main leak.  I have grown tired of the leak, the puddles and adding more oil in.  So I went ahead and ordered:

• clutch
  • pressure plate
  • throw-out bearing
  • pilot bearing
  • clutch slave cylinder
  • rear-main seal

I will just have the flywheel turned after I pull the engine.  Not sure when I am going to have the time to do that...but I got the start of pile of parts.  I was also able to make it to a junkyard today.  I was able to pull some neat parts.

78212658-6446-4F05-84AB-A4EBA79E2019-244

On the pickup list:

• a functional door hinge
  • some nice mud flaps
  • a non-rusted out gas filler neck and hose
  • heater control valve
  • jack handle (my favorite part!)

Not bad for ~$13.  I am especially happy about the jack handle.  I have had a hard time finding one of those!

PS. Eagle eyes will spot the 11mm craftsman socket I picked up out of the gravel....bonus!

• Like 1

Well, I was hoping to yank the engine out this weekend.  But I found someone who would loan me a hoist if I could wait till the end of August....lets see, rent one and do it now or wait and do it for free.....free it is!  I guess I will just have to enjoy driving it around in this lovely weather until then!

• 4 weeks later...

Have hoist....will do work!

First off, let me say that I haven't pulled an engine out entirely since 1992ish....so it has been awhile.  I have done tons of engine/car work, just haven't yanked an engine.  That will hopefully change tomorrow morning.  The plan is to pull the engine and change the following:

• Rear main seal
  • clutch slave cylinder
  • clutch slave cylinder hose
  • carrier bearing
  • oil pan gasket
  • Heater core
  • Possibly replace heater hoses

It should give me a good chance to give everything a good scrub!  Here are a few pictures, they aren't really interesting.  It is just the start of disconnecting the engine, draining fluids, etc.

Here is the beginning (with just the hood off):

0FFBBA4C-6BCB-402C-B7F6-0BA3962AD28B-648

Here is at the end of the first night.  Everything is disconnected (and making a huge mess while draining the radiator).  I just need to loosen the motor mounts and pull it out:

951E4741-E509-4BBD-B7D5-BE208F4F36C9-648

Finally...trucks are awesome for parts storage!

A4C5567B-23DE-474B-A29B-1541CC930F1D-648

It has been a busy weekend.  As it turns out the rear main wasn't leaking, it was just the oil pan gasket in the very rear.  So my Dad and I changed the oil pan gasket, the pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearng, clutch slave cylinder and hose....and lots and lots of scrubbing.  Enough talk, more pics:

48D816F1-B13B-499E-80A9-05AD60E39DD8-727

A2301C37-4D34-4952-9F34-E5E65C58EE75-727

DAB03637-5FF1-4F0A-874B-F7C505BCDA06-727

D828F3F6-95B8-4A84-A831-20C90ADEE27B-727

F2A02D65-8B40-40D2-837D-B99991E2D95E-727

2E5B3378-5322-49E7-BA5D-3ADE3A5040A0-727

It is back up and going now.  Runs great....and no sign of leaks!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

It has been awhile since I have updated this thread.  Mainly I have just been using/driving the truck and enjoying it!  Here is a picture of it working (i.e. have a truck and you help people move!):

D141DDCF-5A2D-45E2-9FF6-E1A1BF97507B-953

I have noticed for a little bit that the transmission drain plug has been leaking.  I was putting it off because it was only a drip here and there.  I was doing some work over in Poulsbo and needed to run to home depot.  The Datsun had enough....

IMG_20140607_175245597_HDR_zpsc5uq8qtl.j

I couldn't get it into gear with the engine running, and while running it would stall out while in gear.  I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet - but my money is on the clutch slave cylinder.  So I guess I will be getting to the leaking transmission drain plug sooner rather than later.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

updates?

Sort of.  It turned out to be the slave cylinder...super quick to fix.  Spent time driving it around and just enjoying it!  I got busy over the past few months.  Many deaths in the family (2 uncles, 1 aunt and our other dog (not pictured above)), I got married and just got a new job.  So my plate has been pretty full.

My current plan is to get the cab completely sealed up (new door seals, por15/fiberglass the floorboards etc).  After that I want to fix a little bit of rust under the battery and look at putting a rebuilt motor in it.

On a side note....what the hell did photobucket do to there website?  It is horrible now!  I can't seem to move a picture from the mobile upload to the Datsun album I have.  I wanted to post a picture of Isabel (the bulldog above) and Rocky (our 17 year old dog who just passed away) riding in the Datsun.  I guess I will need to move all my stuff over to flickr or something.

Anywho - thanks for checking in! 

I had originally thought of that.  The only thing is my floor pans aren't completely rusted out.  They in fact are pretty solid.  There is pitting with some of those pits becoming VERY small holes.  Almost like the tip of a ball point pen.  Cutting out the floor pans to handle that just seemed really extreme.  I don't have a better picture to show the little holes....but I think you can see how solid the pans are here below.  Note that if you look closely you can see some of the indents:

10a579e1.jpg

Would you have another suggestion?

Oh, and here is Isabel and Rocky together in the truck (I really miss Rocky). 

rocky_isabel_zps36234816.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Total fail for no pictures..but here it goes:

• removed and replaced outer window squeegees
  • removed and replaced door seals
  • replaced broken antenna
  • replaced drivers side door open mechanism

A couple of questions.  In a previous comment it was suggested that using POR15 with fiberglass was not a good option for small holes that are in the floorboards - is there another option short of floorboard replacement?

I have been trying to find a place where I can order a heater control valve and heater hoses - has anyone ordered these recently?