SR20 engine swap
Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:38 PM
No Datsun 320 with SR ... yet
Datsun 520 Pickup with SR20DET turbo intercooled
Datsun 620 Pickup with SR20DET
Datsun 720 Pickup with SR20DE (new zealand blue plate?)
Datsun B120 Pickup with SR20DET
Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:45 PM
- SR16VE is a hot one (NEO VVL), but small displacement means it is better for parts to make a hot SR20
- 16VE N1 Autech was 200 HP stock with with 8600 RPM redline
- SR18Di was made for a while (1990-1993), but has less HP than the lighter GA16DE engine
- SR18DE made 125HP, but is heavier and bulkier than CA18DE 131 HP
- SR20Di only 122 HP (single-point Fuel Injection aka TBI)
- SR20DE from 140 to 169 HP
- SR20VE has NEO VVL variable camshaft timing and lift. Unfortunately it was only available in FWD vehicles
- SR20VET turbo has the most HP (280HP) and was available only in the X-trail
- SR20DET turbo from 205 to 250 HP
RWD SR - japan import engines
- Nissan Silvia S13, S14, S15 1990-2002
- NIssan 180SX (RS13)
- Nissan Serena/Vanette (fitted out similar to FWD motors)
- 1991-1994 B13 Nissan Sentra SE-R 140hp
- 1991-2002 Infiniti G20 (Nissan P10/P11) 140hp. 145hp from 2000-2002
- 1995-1998 B14X Nissan Sentra SE & SE-R (both 140hp)
- 1995-1998 B14U Nissan 200SX SE-R 140hp
- 1999-2001 B15U Nissan Sentra SE 145hp (roller rocker)
Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:07 PM
Why use the SR? Because it looks fabulous. And it has a 16-valve head, so it blows away L20B, Z20, CA20 and all other older nissan 2-liter engines.
Alternatives. The KA24DE is also 16-valve and makes more power (average HP, if not peak HP). But KA is not available with factory turbo -- and the SR20DET is. But then again the CA18DET stock engine can handle as much HP as the SR20DET stock engine, and the CA18DET is much lighter and a bit smaller, making for easier swaps and better handling cars -- and the CA18DET is available from the same engine importers that bring in the SR20DET so both are readily available in the USA.
The SR20 has cachet. It starred in the Fast And Furious. And you can buy aftermarket carbon fiber parts for it.
It's got the look.
Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:36 PM
Can you put an SR20DE from a FWD car in your RWD Datsun? YES, it's been done.
But it is much more work to start with a FWD motor, and you can buy complete good tested RWD SR20s with 5-speed and all wiring/computer/sensors/accessories for under $2000. Everywhere in the USA they are shipped, so there is no need to have to resort to junkyard FWD motors. You will still need a SR RWD transmission, flywheel, and clutch.
But let's say grandma gives you her old Sentra SE and the SR20 is there for the taking. What does it take to use in a RWD Datsun?
North-south SRs typically have:
* valve cover breather pointing straight back
* distributor on the back of the head
* throttle body facing back
* center exhaust outlet
* different engine mounts
* different transmission bolt pattern
* different flywheel & clutch
* different starters & ring gear
FWD Nissan Sentra SR20DE
* Valve cover: Swap it with RWD version possibly, OR drill and move the breather fittings.
* Distributor on FWD is on the back of the head, so it won't fit in an RWD engine bay. Solution: Convert to crank trigger ignition. Or cut a hole in the firewall as some racers do. Or swap the head for a RWD head.
* Intake manifold & throttle body. FWD SRs (and Nissan Van/Vanette) have rear-facing manifolds so they will hit the firewall. Solution: Swap manifold and throttle body.
* Engine mounts: Most of the motor mount bolt holes on the RWD are present on the FWD block. AWD block are different yet again.
* Flywheel/clutch. Get one from a RWD import motor
* Starter FWD starter bolts through the block and transmission, the RWD starter bolts to the transmission. Solution: cut the starter mount pad out of the FWD block, weld a tab for the 2nd bolt
* Transmission: Get a SR RWD gearbox. Most of the Bell-pattern bolts line up. The bolt spacing for the top two bolts is 150mm (6") on FWD and 200mm (8") on RWD
* oil pan: Depending on the car you are fitting in in, the FWD pan might work. If you need a front sump, fit the RWD upper oil pan
Note that SR20DET imports have no distributor, instead they use coil packs. Still, an import FWD SR20DET might use a small "distributor" (really just a CAS sensor) on the back of the head.
Starter mod for FWD motor in RWD car
Alternatively, with Silvia gearbox and the SR20VE (FWD), take RWD flywheel, machine the lip away between block and ring gear, and use the FWD starter. Then get a SR20DE Pressure Plate fitted to the RWD flywheel.
Note about head swaps: Some RWD block/head has extra oil hole where FWD block/head does not. Proceed with caution.
And then you still have to swap the motor into the car. If you started with a RWD SR, the work above is not needed.
Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:58 PM
No 320 with sr20 yet?are you sure?
Well, that post was four years ago, necromancer.
I'm your huckleberry.
Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:48 PM
Well, that post was four years ago, necromancer.
And still none.mine is 90% there