Project KABOOM!!! L16 Grenade engine build!!!

I'm considering building another engine like this one only with lower compression for street use. I'm thinking of using Chrome rings this time though. I've never used em before though.

Pros / cons?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, none. Dyno'd 104HP on a 38/38 Weber.

It had Mahle 86mm pistons, only reason we used chrome rings was because it will be getting boost and EFI. I no longer own it, but a buddy that built it has it in his 521 rock crawler.

Chrome rings are usually superior to cast or moly rings not only for their sealing properties, but for their durability.  A low tension chrome ring will also have less drag to help free up horsepower. The packaging of LT rings is much more compact too, making it possible to keep the ring grooves above the pin on a custom piston. No more pin buttons...

Detonation can cause rings to break. Cast rings are bad wih detonation, but a chrome ring can take a bit more.

Chrome rings can take a bit more to seat properly though. I would not use a chrome ring for the first time unless you are starting with a freshly bored or power honed block.