720 truck "Dissed" by Snugtop

SHORTDOG

Okay so i found what looked to be an old Snugtop for a 720 but wanted to be sure so i took down the serial number and called Snugtop and asked their customer support tech if they could run the serial number and give me proper fitment for this Snugtop. She asked me to read her off the serial number...as soon as i started, she cut me off and said "Oh no, that number is way too old and not in our system any longer". So i said okay, but do you guys still make "Solid side" cab high shells for the 1985 Nissan 720? or is there a chance that you still have some old inventory left because there (believe it or not) is still a very large demand for them" ...I might as well have been Eddie Murphy because she just broke out laughing and said "No, we don't make it anymore for that truck and we won't make any new ones either....we destroyed the molds for that truck" waycrazy.gif Man, i knew at that point that i wasn't getting anywhere with it so i just hung up! :confused:

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She knows there is not a large demand for 720 canopies. Maybe among your friends there is, but not among customers in general.

Whenever we good old canopies in the wreckers, someone posts it in our Ratsun Wrecking Yard Report. Very rarely does anyone buy them, except a few of the So Cal truckers.

• Like 2

She knows there is not a large demand for 720 canopies. Maybe among your friends there is, but not among customers in general.

Whenever we good old canopies in the wreckers, someone posts it in our Ratsun Wrecking Yard Report. Very rarely does anyone buy them, except a few of the So Cal truckers.

Dude! Let me know directly when you guys come across them ( I am only interested in the cab high with NO windows) i know alot of guys that are interested...not only in So. Cal. but in all of Cali, and Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and even in Guam!

• Like 1

Lol. I part of my job is installing Snugtop and Leer canopies. Dont worry about being singled out, they dont make canopies for anything older than about 96. Even then, those are dieing off fast.

I am sure you could get an aluminum canopy... yuck.

And no, there is not a demand for that product.

• Like 1

Lol. I part of my job is installing Snugtop and Leer canopies. Dont worry about being singled out, they dont make canopies for anything older than about 96. Even then, those are dieing off fast.

I am sure you could get an aluminum canopy... yuck.

And no, there is not a demand for that product.

They laughed at me when I asked if they still made a fiberglass canopy for 67-71 Chevy/GMC trucks. I think those have a bit more demand, but no one does any for those ether. They said I could get the one with the corrugated aluminum crap... haha, yeah, no thanks...

• Like 1

I would also say, both companies suck to talk to. It is hard to get anything from them. We have to use leverage to get anything from, this is a shop that sells and does work for them. We get about 2-3 snugs a week. Most being trucks within the last 10 years.

BTW, this job makes me hate working on Fords, Chevys make no sense, Dodge is amazing, the new Tundra is almost as nice as the Dodge trucks, and the Titan, well, while easy to work on, kinda sucks.

I have seen a couple in the yards but they are always for long box or short box, not King Cab... I'll keep an eye out, but shipping those would be a PITA

Let me know if you come across any, send me pics of them (short or king cabs) and i might just make the drive up to get it, if not...i have a friend in Vancouver who drives a Semi truck who will pick them up for me.

A couple years ago when I took my 620 all apart and painted it, I thought I would get a new camper. I took my shell of and it sat on the side of the house for years. When I was done I put it on craigslist to get rid of it and some chump was going to come over and get it... but never showed.

Good thing, because I went to every camper place in PDX... and that's a lot. No dice. No more, nothing in that size.

I put the shell back on but it needs work. I'm going to look for a boat yard that does glass repairs and have them erase the side windows for me, shoot a colored gel coat on it to match my truck color and fix the latches and shock absorbers thangs on hatch. I found a guy in LA who has the rubber boot material that goes in between the shell and cab.

That's another thing... I have a sliding window in the cab and I can reach into the bed while driving down the freeway and get a cold beer, er soda. I didn't even see any new camper shells that didn't have a solid window, so you couldn't reach through. And when I'm in the back camping, I can reach the stereo dial before I boink the 'ol lady at night.

Campers are the shit. We should start a new thread...

not just how many times you have had sex in your truck, but how many different partners or how many one night stands you have spoinked. Maybe not. Reet.

there (believe it or not) is still a very large demand for them
Dude. In the grand scheme of things there is not a large demand for shells older than the last one or two generations, and definitely not for anything 80's and older. Be realistic - how many 720's are still roadworthy, and how many owners of them desire (and would come up with the money for) a shell? Even if there were 100 that's a very small number for a run of any type of molded production.

Um I saw that... glass shells dont have a frame inside like the aluminum ones, also are about 3 times heavier, and are thicker looking. That 720 shell is not a glass shell. This is a 720 truck thread...

They make seamless shells like that out of aluminum? I figured it was ABS or similar.

The 720 one was not an aluminum canopy. It is some sort of plastic or fibreglass. It does have aluminum ribbing on the inside.

SHORTDOG, are you only interested in Snugtop ™ canopies. or in any similar kind? I figured if it was non-metallic and kinda modern looking I would tell you about it.

Here is a non glass top on a tundra compared to a glass top... Clearly different looks. Snugtop, Leer, ARE, Century, Glasstite, it doesnt matter, they are all form fitting glass tops. Anything else is not form fitting. I think that is what he means by Snugtop.

HPIM9843.JPG

29694400022_large.jpg

So you are certain he wants a form-fitting glass top, but doesn't want a form-fitting ABS top?

Find a form fitting ABS top. All they are is a cheaper alternative to the already cheaper than glass aluminum tops. The one you found, probably fits as ill as any aluminum top I have seen. The only saving grace is that 720s are so boxy as is that an aluminum top will probably look good.

SHORTDOG, are you only interested in Snugtop ™ canopies. or in any similar kind? I figured if it was non-metallic and kinda modern looking I would tell you about it.

I am only interested in Snugtop's that are cab high and have no side windows..just like the snugtops in these pics. Of course the "S10 Blazer wing" was added to the top of the pink Snugtop so i am not looking for that....just the top itself.

DSC08617-1.jpg

scan0011.jpg

• 3 years later...