Ignition question

08598adb.jpg so I'm pretty sure I run the green and blk and red to positive on the coil to the B on dizzy.. But the negative on the coil has a blue and white and what in guessing is the negative on the ballast has a blk and yellow.. Do I combine the blue and white w/ the black n yellow n run it to the negative on coil and the C on the dizzy?
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a name of "really_drunk" and a can of bud lite in the picture I am not sure if I want this truck running.

EICoilWires.jpg

This is a stock 521 ignition coil, that has to be used with a ballast resistor. The black wire with the white stripe, that was repaired with a red butt connector, is power from the ignition switch, with the key on it run position. There is a black wire with a red stripe going to the bottom terminal on the coil. This wire supplies power to the coil, bypassing the ballast resistor with the key in the start position.

The red and black pair of wires going up past the relay in the picture, goes to my matchbox distributor.

This is the red and black pair of wires at the distributor.

EIDistWires.jpg

"B" terminal on the matchbox module, goes to battery, or coil plus.

"C" terminal on the matchbox module, goes to coil minus.

There is also a black wire grounding the distributor.

This is a project in progress. I have not had this engine running at a high RPM, under load. But it does start and run easily in the garage. This set up does limit the current going through the coil, because of the ballast resistor. The matchbox distributor draws very little current at idle and more current as RPM's increase. once this truck is driving, I may have to change the wiring a little.

Ok well she wants to fire up but as soon as I let key go it dies.. Wired wrong I'm thinking. I have a red n black, black n white,green, and B from the dizzy going to + on coil.. And a blue n white and C from dizzy going to - on coil. Any ideas? 1c94a430.jpg and pic of starter wired right I think.. 0229b198.jpg

With the key in the "on" position, take a test light and find the hot wire from the ign switch. According to my notes, it should be the black/white wire. That wire comes from the ign switch and goes to the resistor and the fuse box. If you're test light doesn't light at the + term on the coil with the key on, check at the IGN term on the fuse box.....if it's not there, check the back of your ignition switch for power on the b/w wire with the key on. If you do have power at the fuse box, start physically chasing the wire for some kind of break. If need be....for testing, run a new wire from the IGN term on the fuse box to the + of the coil and it should stay running. It will not shut off until you remove that wire, so be careful.

......and more importantly....you need to say what the fix was, even if it was a silly mistake, because otherwise, you simply convince guys like me to not waste my time in the future. As it is, I typically sit back until things get really desperate and someone pm's me for help. No big deal if you lose me, I'll just keep doing my thing.....but this forum still really needs guys like ggzilla, hainz and Daniel C helping out.

Sweet! That's a great answer! :) My wife's has one too....if it ever got flipped, I'd probably go nuts trying to figure it out.

Since you had power like you should, I'm guessing the switch interrupts something else.

You're more than welcome and thank you for letting us know :)